PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Anyone overclocked their TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=138644)

kwatcha 12-20-2010 11:40 PM

Anyone overclocked their TP2

Just like to know if anyone has overclocked their TP2 and what their experiences has been with the increase in speed and if it is worth it or is it a risk that coulkd damage the unit.

Thanks

killerkhatiby009 12-20-2010 11:43 PM

Re: Anyone overclocked their TP2

There are a few threads about this already, but in my testing there have been no negative effects at all and the speed isnt blow your mind different but its still slightly noticeable and definitely worth it as there are pretty much no down sides. Just play around with the speeds at first and slowly push your way up to the max speed your device allows (each is different; mine is 748MHz) and run it at that level and you should be perfectly stable, as I am. I am using setcpuspeed as my overclocking tool all though there is a new one which I havent tried yet but people are getting good results

mwalt2 12-20-2010 11:58 PM

I also overclock to the 748 mhz as well. I've found the dynamic overclocking to be a bit more unstable, so I just run it at 748 mhz all the time. I used to think it would save battery, but these overclocking apps don't adjust voltage to the cpu. In the end, it seems to use the same amount of battery as using stock 528 mhz.

DavidinCT 12-21-2010 12:03 AM

I've overclocked my TP2 and it made a notable improvement on playing back a video and some other things.

I have a high bit rate video on my flash card(a kids video to keep my little girl happy) playing back with media player will cause it to studder and be choppy (almost unwatchable), after overclocking to 756mhz or 806mhz, the video will play back perfect, no sudder or choppyness.

Other times with some HD games designed for the HD2, I can get a semi-ok running game running pretty good with overclocking.

If you think you'll over clock and your phone will become a HD2 (1ghz CPU about same size screen), it's not going to happen but, if there is a app that just runs a little too slow, it will help. It will even help the OS speed but, very little.

DOn't be greedy with speeds, with the good there is some bad, if you over do it too much, you'll notice more lockups, just lower the speed and test, there is a happy medium.

I posted in the overclocking thread about my settings, it did help...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...-settings.html

eric12341 12-21-2010 12:40 AM

i dont really use it in stock 6.1 unless im visiting graphics intensive sites or watching youtube vids in IE. avoid the new OC program that was just released and talked about in this thread on the next page. that one borked my power button 9screen wouldnt shut off/reverse SOD) and costed me a soft reset and an uninstall of the program of course. and i wouldnt recommend overclocking higher than the 720s.

jamio88 12-21-2010 04:57 AM

I also have mine OC'ed to 748. So far I have had no issues with the device being overclocked, and actually I have noticed it seems to have cleaned up the choppiness of Morphgear while running SNES games.

I would say Overclocking the TP2 is a dream come true.

orangekid 12-21-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 2017181)
I've overclocked my TP2 and it made a notable improvement on playing back a video and some other things.

I have a high bit rate video on my flash card(a kids video to keep my little girl happy) playing back with media player will cause it to studder and be choppy (almost unwatchable), after overclocking to 756mhz or 806mhz, the video will play back perfect, no sudder or choppyness.

Other times with some HD games designed for the HD2, I can get a semi-ok running game running pretty good with overclocking.

If you think you'll over clock and your phone will become a HD2 (1ghz CPU about same size screen), it's not going to happen but, if there is a app that just runs a little too slow, it will help. It will even help the OS speed but, very little.

DOn't be greedy with speeds, with the good there is some bad, if you over do it too much, you'll notice more lockups, just lower the speed and test, there is a happy medium.

I posted in the overclocking thread about my settings, it did help...

The TP2 and HD2 have a SIGNIFICANT screen size difference, and as you mention, the QSD 1ghz chip cannot even be compared to weak one they chose to use in the TP2 (528mhz).

I have heard good things about using O/C on the TP2, hell, I even O/C my HD2 sometimes when playing like Final Fantasy 8 for instance at times.

Just try it out and see how well your device performs.

quick99si 12-21-2010 03:54 PM

Remember folks, always use the Search button before the New Topic button.

AZTECHKA 12-21-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quick99si (Post 2017520)
Remember folks, always use the Search button before the New Topic button.

+1 on your post count.

Ok... So I just tried WiMoSpeed and overclocked my TP2 but I see no major difference in preformance or otherwise.
Then it seems as though the overclocking is only good through your next soft reset. So I'll be trying a different cab.
p.

DaveTN 12-21-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwatcha (Post 2017165)
Just like to know if anyone has overclocked their TP2 and what their experiences has been with the increase in speed and if it is worth it or is it a risk that coulkd damage the unit.

Thanks

See the link in my sig line for one of the discussions about overclocking. It's primarily geared towards users that are running the custom NRG ROM but links to most of the other overclocking threads.

In a nutshell, overclocking is working great on my TP2. One of the benefits is that my battery life has improved. Downloads seem faster and it really improves the overall experience with minimal risk.

Its pretty easy to do as long as you follow the instructions in teh threads linked in my sig line.

One last peice of advice; you really should get a fast storage card such as a class 6 card. I can really tell a difference when I switch between my cards - a class II and a class VI - in how my phone functions when it is overclocked. The faster SD card makes a very noticable difference.

Welcome to the world of overclocking.

David