PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

howdizzle is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Help! Display Won't Change When Keyboard Slides Out

I just received a TP2 I bought used on eBay. It was actually in better physical condition than I thought it would be, and I already went ahead and activated it, but now I realize that when I slide the QWERTY out, the screen remains the same! It won't reorient to landscape mode in any application. Only in photo-viewing mode will it rotate when I rotate the phone physically; sliding open the keyboard makes no difference. I tried calibrating the g-sensor; the g-sensor appears to be working normally, at least it works in photo-viewing mode.

The keyboard itself also seems to work; it inputs normally, activates other modes such as text or email when I hit those buttons. But from the home screen, in text mode, in Word -- no rotation! I can't get it into landscape mode. When the screen goes to sleep, sliding it open won't wake it up. This is tragic! The phone is practically useless if I can't get it work properly in these modes. Is it hardware-related, or is there a software fix? If it's hardware, is it something the Sprint store people can fix?

Please help!

additional detail: when closing out of camera mode and holding the unit sideways, the display does flash the next screen in landscape for a tiny split second. Also, when on the web, the screen rotates into landscape mode when i hold the unit sideways, and yet when I try to type inside a field on the web, it won't recognize the qwerty. It does recognize web commands from the qwerty such as "page up" or "page down" when holding the function key, but not text input! Meanwhile, in Word or in SMS, I can type letters from the qwerty just fine, but the screen stays in vertical mode. What the heck's going on here???

Last edited by howdizzle; 09-30-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: correct word omission
Old 09-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Does it have the shipped rom on it or a custom?
If custom flash the shipped rom and try it.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

howdizzle is a n00b
Re: Help! Display Won't Change When Keyboard Slides Out

It looks like the stock ROM. I was going to flash it to Mighty anyway... Do you think that might help? You think it's software related, not some problem in the hardware?

I know I can return it to the seller on these grounds, as this was absolutely not part of the deal. Still, I'm excited to have it and got a great deal. I could even pay a few bucks to have it fixed locally and still come out ahead, financially.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

sounds like hardware. sorry buddy but you got got. i also see that you previously had a touch pro, many of us were able to get them swapped out for a tp2 for free and with no hardware problems. since u now just activated that tp2 on sprint i dont think they will swap u out now.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

howdizzle is a n00b

Swap TP for TP2 for free? How'd you manage that? I'm the Sprint SERO F&F plan -- super-cheap and not likely to get perks like that. I am actually due $150 in phone upgrade reward, but even with that, the TP2 is kinda pricey. I paid half of what Sprint wants for it, and yes, I certainly got what I paid for. If it's not too costly to have someone fix it, though, I might go that route.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

there are magnets in the back of the phone that tell it that the keyboard is open they might have got messed up in some way

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10
Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdizzle
It looks like the stock ROM. I was going to flash it to Mighty anyway... Do you think that might help? You think it's software related, not some problem in the hardware?

I know I can return it to the seller on these grounds, as this was absolutely not part of the deal. Still, I'm excited to have it and got a great deal. I could even pay a few bucks to have it fixed locally and still come out ahead, financially.
What I meant was, go ahead and flash the shipped rom so after if it still doesn't work you'll know you have a hardware problem.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdizzle View Post
Swap TP for TP2 for free? How'd you manage that? I'm the Sprint SERO F&F plan -- super-cheap and not likely to get perks like that. I am actually due $150 in phone upgrade reward, but even with that, the TP2 is kinda pricey. I paid half of what Sprint wants for it, and yes, I certainly got what I paid for. If it's not too costly to have someone fix it, though, I might go that route.
very simple. since the TP has like a million things wrong with it sprint decided that it would be too costly on their end to replace. so they decided to just swap for tp2s. vzw ppl arent that lucky i saw this one thread in which this guy was on his 12th one.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

howdizzle is a n00b

Dang. Well, thanks for your help everybody. I took it into the sprint store today as they said it could be fixed and that my unit was actually still under warranty. Turns out I'll never know for sure because when I got there they said it needs to remain activated on my account for 30 days before they'll do any warranty-related work. I can only return it to the seller within 7 days, and the thing is, the display wasn't the only problem. The "end" key also wasn't functioning at all. I contacted the seller and he apologized and promised to swap it for a phone I'll "definitely like." I can see he's got a TP2 selling for $50 more than I paid for mine, so I can only assume it's in better shape. I'm giving him one more shot. We'll see what happens with the next one.

the sprint store said it would've been an easy fix, btw. For the display problem, all it needed was to replace a certain part. For the end key, though, if it turned out to be due to moisture or corrosion or something, it would become an insurance issue, and then there'd be the $100 deductible. At that point it's definitely not worth it. So -- back it goes to wherever the heck it came from.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

Last edited by horndoctor; 09-30-2010 at 06:33 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
keyboard, landscape mode, qwerty, reorient, rotate