PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Cresco299 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS Issues-Warranty Replacement Defective?

I recently received a replacement TP2 on a warranty issue and having been using the opportunity flash to my hearts content. At first I thought there might be an issue with the various Roms I've been flashing because a few of my standard GPS apps are unable to locate me. Two weeks into my new phone, I'm beyond the point where I suspect the Custom Roms as the culprit.

Currently I can only locate myself on Google Maps and through the weather tab. Bing, Copilot Live8, and GPS Sports Tracker are all unable to locate me. These were all programs I used regularly prior to my replacement. Right now I'm running the most stable version of Energy (21911?).

On a side note, when downloading satellites I notice that it says "Download Time 02/08/10" Several months off....but this is consistent no matter what Rom I flash. The Valid time never counts down.

EDIT: The Valid time is counting down, but the download date remains the same.

So do you think my "new phone" is defective or have I overlooked some setting to get my GPS to function properly?

Last edited by Cresco299; 08-02-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: GPS Issues-Warranty Replacement Defective?

I would think the quickgps issue would be rom related. try deleting the xtra.bin file from /windows then updating quickgps.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

Cresco299 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
I would think the quickgps issue would be rom related. try deleting the xtra.bin file from /windows then updating quickgps.

Thanks for the reply, I tried as you suggested but to no avail. After much thought, I finally realized that when the downloaded date was displayed as 02/08/10, it was giving me the date in DD/MM/YY format.

So that wasn't really the problem. But I re-flashed to stock, 3rd party apps still didn't work but Bing decided to play nice. Upgraded to the MR2 release with no further success. I finally called VZW tech support who spent over an hour on the phone with me. He finally suggested that if we could get VZ navigator to work, than I would be SOL. He walked me through it step by step with a TP2 he had in his office.

Fortunately it didn't work on my phone OR the one he had in his office and my replacement is on the way.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: thtc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

igt123 is a n00b

Bing GPS used to work great for me on my Sprint TP2. "locate me" - somethings up with it, but I can't fix it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. After playing with the settings(GPS is set to com4 @ 4800 baud), Bing is set to look at com4 no go. Finally removed Bing Live, used the default bing values and locate me worked. Now, 1. I was in a different location when it did work. 2. I might have been roaming when it did work. I do know it used to work without fail, and now it's unpredictable for me.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Is it possible that you're not differentiating between GPS and tower triangulation? You said that Google and My Weather are the only ones that work... they're also the only ones that use tower polling (in addition to true GPS)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2