PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

schick79 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Enable faster data... anyone ever get this to work?

I'm running Win 7 Pro 64-bit. Has anyone out there ever gotten their phone to sync with the fast data connection enabled? I never put much thought behind this because I had no idea on what I was missing out on. While flashing a phone the other day on my old Win XP box, it fired right up and it is blazing fast! I figure somebody smarter than me has to have figured out how to make this work with Windows Mobile Device Center. Anyone?
Old 06-05-2010, 02:08 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Enable faster data... anyone ever get this to work?

well lets analyize your issue here..

first, ill say i have win7 and had to Disable faster sync too to get it to work too..

next, are you really syncing things from your device? or you really syncing from SD?

if your syncing things to/from SD, then your SDs "class" controls the speed..

last, what are you syncing? why are you using WMDC even?
-for music just use WMP to sync
-for anything else just hook it up,diskdrive mode,right click,send to "x", sync'd

i transfer things all the time.. especially dvds to/from my phone.. takes about 60seconds to tranfer a 500mb mp4 dvd..

what kind of speeds are you lookng for VS what are you getting?

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 06-05-2010 at 02:11 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
well lets analyize your issue here..

first, ill say i have win7 and had to Disable faster sync too to get it to work too..

next, are you really syncing things from your device? or you really syncing from SD?

if your syncing things to/from SD, then your SDs "class" controls the speed..

last, what are you syncing? why are you using WMDC even?
-for music just use WMP to sync
-for anything else just hook it up,diskdrive mode,right click,send to "x", sync'd

i transfer things all the time.. especially dvds to/from my phone.. takes about 60seconds to tranfer a 500mb mp4 dvd..

what kind of speeds are you lookng for VS what are you getting?
Primarily I was referring to actually syncing Outlook. When I hooked up my TP2 to the older computer running XP and ActiveSync 4.5, I transferred the ROM and it seemed like it was instant. In fact, it transferred so fast, I actually checked the phone to make sure it was there because I didn't even think it worked. LOL Then I realized I never disabled the fast connection and it worked in that setting. So, that's all I was wondering about. Why does the fast setting work on older OS's, and what about the newer OS's makes it not work that way? Is there something that can be changed to get it to work?

But yes, I do sync music/files to the SD card too. That is a great idea that I never thought about, so I will definitely do that from now on for transfers to the SD card.

Actually, on a related note, what would be faster: USB cable and disk drive mode with fast data enabled, or using an SD card reader?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2010, 03:22 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schick79 View Post
Primarily I was referring to actually syncing Outlook. When I hooked up my TP2 to the older computer running XP and ActiveSync 4.5, I transferred the ROM and it seemed like it was instant. In fact, it transferred so fast, I actually checked the phone to make sure it was there because I didn't even think it worked. LOL Then I realized I never disabled the fast connection and it worked in that setting. So, that's all I was wondering about. Why does the fast setting work on older OS's, and what about the newer OS's makes it not work that way? Is there something that can be changed to get it to work?

But yes, I do sync music/files to the SD card too. That is a great idea that I never thought about, so I will definitely do that from now on for transfers to the SD card.

Actually, on a related note, what would be faster: USB cable and disk drive mode with fast data enabled, or using an SD card reader?

Thanks!
ummm theyd be the same??? faster data sync is for AS, not for Disk drive mode
Old 06-05-2010, 06:18 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly..Activesync by default re-encodes the data...which can be disable to make it transfer directly and a lot faster...is that what you are talking about?

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 06-05-2010, 06:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
If I remember correctly..Activesync by default re-encodes the data...which can be disable to make it transfer directly and a lot faster...is that what you are talking about?
Honestly not sure about the mechanisms/names/etc. All I know is that on my XP box, using ActiveSync (not WMDC), I was able to leave the box about faster data connections checked, and syncing was extremely faster.

On Win 7, I have to uncheck the box, and sync speeds are noticably slower.

I'm assuming the two are related, but again, I'm not familiar enough with this to know one way or another. What you're talking about definintely sounds relevant. How would I go about doing what you're referring to?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II (WM6.5, MR2), Nokia 2630, Nokia 1661
Carrier: Verizon, Vodafone, T-Mobile

constitutionalist is becoming a great contributor

I've been avoiding syncing with my Win7 laptop for a myriad of reasons. Thanks for adding another one. I still sync with my old XP laptop, but am thinking when I make the transition perhaps a 3rd party sync tool would fare better. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by constitutionalist View Post
I've been avoiding syncing with my Win7 laptop for a myriad of reasons. Thanks for adding another one. I still sync with my old XP laptop, but am thinking when I make the transition perhaps a 3rd party sync tool would fare better. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Just curious, what are your other reasons for not syncing with Win 7? In all honesty, I've been thrilled with Win 7 - moreso than any other Windows flavor. This is about the only complaint I have, and really it's not even Win 7 because this was the case when I was running Vista.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Order of data transfer rates (1 being the fastest)

1. Card reader
2. USB disk mode
3. ActiveSync/WMDC plain transfer (NO RE-ENCODING)
4. ActiveSync/WMDC transfer (RE-ENCODING ENABLED)

[note: the difference between 1 and 2 is negligible, and can vary based on your car reader's performance.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Okay, I am now so totally confused...

I just noticed today that I've been able to sync with the Enable faster data box checked. Two things have changed since when I first posted this:

1) (Much more significant) I got a replacement phone from Verizon. Still a TP2, but a different phone nonetheless.

2) I switched from Energy's Cookie Home Tab rom to the MaxManilla rom.

I'm pretty sure that it is using the extra speed as syncing all my e-mail took much shorter than I remember it taking. Any idea as to why this is now happening? Is it something with the new phone? A difference in the rom? Still the same computer, same version of WMDC, same Outlook profile, same everything else.

Another interesting observation: I don't get the icon in my system tray giving me the option to Eject Hardware, like what you would get when you inserted a flash drive. I always used to get that.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2