PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Optimus V
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

aldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Check my math: Cost to move from a TP2 to an Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
perhaps you would prefer the cost of the device to be $800 (the carriers pickup some of that cost already) and then get the data on the cheap?
Sure. Why not? It's the same thing. The difference being at least we'd have a piece of hardware with slowly depreciating value (and good secondary market value) instead of just evaporating money from monthly bills.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
If cost was such a big issue, I'd still be driving my Honda Civic. My 2009 WRX costs me almost $200 more per month (higher insurance included) than my Civic did, but do I think it's money well spent? Hell yes it is.
Of course you could have saved the $200 more a month for about a year and just turbo-charged your civic and been able to walk that wrx lol... At least that's what I did and my boosted hatch leaves my brothers new STi in the dust, but his car is about 18 years newer than mine so he's got me beat there lol, but that's the only place he's got me beat =)

And I'm going to the EVO no matter what, it's always been in my regime to stay up to date in the cellular world so ehhh I guess it's sort of a bad habit "new phone comes out, buy it, repress any negative affects from buying it" that's usually how the cycle works lol..

Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4g / Touch_Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

captblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Sure. Why not? It's the same thing. The difference being at least we'd have a piece of hardware with slowly depreciating value (and good secondary market value) instead of just evaporating money from monthly bills.
$200 for evo +$10 extra for data
$800 for evo +$0 extra for data

if my math is correct, that would mean 60 months of extra data to add up to cost of phone at full price. when was the last time you had a smartphone that had value after 5 years?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmsohc22 View Post
Of course you could have saved the $200 more a month for about a year and just turbo-charged your civic and been able to walk that wrx lol... At least that's what I did and my boosted hatch leaves my brothers new STi in the dust, but his car is about 18 years newer than mine so he's got me beat there lol, but that's the only place he's got me beat =)

And I'm going to the EVO no matter what, it's always been in my regime to stay up to date in the cellular world so ehhh I guess it's sort of a bad habit "new phone comes out, buy it, repress any negative affects from buying it" that's usually how the cycle works lol..
Not true. The lack of power or any displacement whatsoever in the A18 motor is disappointing, and the VTEC and DOHC hurt it for FI. People have been trying to turbo them since the motor came out and they still can't keep up with most of the quicker cars on the road. It's not as nice as the older Civic motors without VTEC, where you can boost the piss out of it comfortably and walk a WRX. Either way, the 2009+ WRX's are much much faster than the old ones. The old ones would run high 14's in the 1/4. I took mine to the track after I hit 1000 miles and I ran 13.6 pretty easily and I have no idea how to launch AWD. I saw a video somewhere where some professionals got 13.3 out of it, bone stock, and that's impressive. The old WRX had ~220 HP, not sure on TQ, but the new ones are 265HP and 244TQ I believe, and from the stock dynos I've seen, those numbers are underrated by Subaru. A stage 2 09 WRX can walk a stage 2 07 STI, haha.

I still miss my '05 Mustang GT though. I spent like $600 on mods on that car and was running 12.7 @ 107 lol

Last edited by Cicatrize; 05-25-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
Not true. The lack of power or any displacement whatsoever in the A18 motor is disappointing, and the VTEC and DOHC hurt it for FI. People have been trying to turbo them since the motor came out and they still can't keep up with most of the quicker cars on the road. It's not as nice as the older Civic motors without VTEC, where you can boost the piss out of it comfortably and walk a WRX. Either way, the 2009+ WRX's are much much faster than the old ones. The old ones would run high 14's in the 1/4. I took mine to the track after I hit 1000 miles and I ran 13.6 pretty easily and I have no idea how to launch AWD. I saw a video somewhere where some professionals got 13.3 out of it, bone stock, and that's impressive. The old WRX had ~220 HP, not sure on TQ, but the new ones are 265HP and 244TQ I believe, and from the stock dynos I've seen, those numbers are underrated by Subaru. A stage 2 09 WRX can walk a stage 2 07 STI, haha.

I still miss my '05 Mustang GT though. I spent like $600 on mods on that car and was running 12.7 @ 107 lol
Haha yah man you just have to know what you're doing... I did this setup that was known to be a "10 second budget build" using Suzuki Vitara pistons, eagle rods, and just honed my cylinders, adjusted my valves, spent about $350 on a clutch/flywheel, about $150 on my fuel setup, and $250 for my tune, and I'm at 355hp that consistently lands me in the mid 11's on 15" street tires... I'm runnin a Garrett GT30R tuned @ 15psi since I only have a 2bar MAP sensor... Once I get my 3.5bar I plan on boosting about 25psi and should be at about 450-475hp and landin 10's in the 1/4, hopefully I'll have some slicks by then lol.. So all in all I spent about $1500 on turbo setup, tuning, suspension parts, and random little things (resistors for injectors, gauges, etc) and I'm in a 92 civic hatch with a single cam runnin 11's, pretty happy with that.. And my motor is the JDM D15B Single Cam Vtec with the JDM D15B LSD Tranny...

But about the Domestics you're right, my brother and father have always hated on me for ridin import until about 2-3 years ago when I first started turboing my cars, and especially now that mine pisses on their cars haha "my bro has a new STi, and a 95 Z28 with 383 stroker, and my dad has a new Z06 and an 03 Ford Lightning".... But yeah my brothers stock Z with 100 shot of nitrous was runnin low 12's high 11's on a stock motor i was like dude WTF hahaha...!!!!

EDIT: here she is =)

Last edited by JDM_SOHC; 05-25-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Optimus V
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

aldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
$200 for evo +$10 extra for data
$800 for evo +$0 extra for data

if my math is correct, that would mean 60 months of extra data to add up to cost of phone at full price. when was the last time you had a smartphone that had value after 5 years?
Look at post #1 to see what this thread is about.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4g / Touch_Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

captblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Look at post #1 to see what this thread is about.
point taken, but i was answering you specifically.

i made my comment about the topic clear

if you cant afford it - you dont need it
Old 05-25-2010, 11:24 AM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man

Quote:
if you cant afford it - you dont need it
^^

Something my dad always told me..!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmsohc22 View Post
Haha yah man you just have to know what you're doing... I did this setup that was known to be a "10 second budget build" using Suzuki Vitara pistons, eagle rods, and just honed my cylinders, adjusted my valves, spent about $350 on a clutch/flywheel, about $150 on my fuel setup, and $250 for my tune, and I'm at 355hp that consistently lands me in the mid 11's on 15" street tires... I'm runnin a Garrett GT30R tuned @ 15psi since I only have a 2bar MAP sensor... Once I get my 3.5bar I plan on boosting about 25psi and should be at about 450-475hp and landin 10's in the 1/4, hopefully I'll have some slicks by then lol.. So all in all I spent about $1500 on turbo setup, tuning, suspension parts, and random little things (resistors for injectors, gauges, etc) and I'm in a 92 civic hatch with a single cam runnin 11's, pretty happy with that.. And my motor is the JDM D15B Single Cam Vtec with the JDM D15B LSD Tranny...
Yeah, but the D15B (or K20/24) is much more capable than the A18, unless you spend a buttload of money upgrading the motor, but then you're just wasting money on a Civic.

I would be careful with the 3.5 bar. Not for your motor's sake, but for your drivetrain. That's almost guaranteed breakage somewhere, especially with FWD.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2!
Carrier: Jog PCS

steveoski is keeping up the good worksteveoski is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
I do think, as others have mentioned, that you have to look past the dollars. If you're on SERO, you've got something that simply doesn't exist anymore and is, frankly, a steal. For a long time I thought I'd milk it as long as possible -- and to a large extent, I have done that. For a long time I saw the Touch, TP1, and TP2 as the best options available at that point. Now I no longer do, and I'm ready to move on. I look back at the the 2.5 years I've hard SERO and do the math you've presented in reverse. I've SAVED at least $1000 by having SERO thus far. Could I save even more if I kept the TP2 even longer? Absolutely. But even if I get the EVO next month and (at least) double my bill, I'll have still saved a lot of money. And I'll have a phone I'll be much happier with.
yeah until the next phone comes out.....than what?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2