PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

sigma_wrx is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Overcharging battery?

I was researching batteries and came upon the seidio website. They recommend overcharging their batteries for 2-3 hrs after it shows full and after the light turns green. Is this recommended for oem batteries?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

jshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIP
Re: Overcharging battery?

If I have time, i always unplug it, and plug it back in for 20-30 min till it shows green again.

Charge all you want, you aren't going to hurt it.

Radio: 2.35.00WF
Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HP6945~Mogul~TP~TP2~EVO
Carrier: Sprint - RIP Sero Plan \ Current: BP F&F

demolasko is keeping up the good workdemolasko is keeping up the good workdemolasko is keeping up the good work

when it turnd green it stops charging .. the phone will run off the AC charger but the battery will stop charging.. i leave mine plugged in for days at a time.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon
Carrier: Sprint

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

its not going to hurt the phone at all, I don't think you can overcharge the batteries in these.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible & HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

QMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to QMeli907 Send a message via Yahoo to QMeli907

I've left mine in for long periods of time and it never did any damage.

When I first got my TP2, I still used my LG Dare as an alarm because it was much louder, and I didn't like placing my new TP2 face down to charge. I continually kept my Dare on the charger, because I thought it would run on AC power. About 2 weeks later I noticed my Dare battery had ballooned to twice its size. It will now hold a charge for about 10 minutes.

Lesson learned.

I don't think TP2 would do this, but be careful

Don't click me
Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

Robin24k is just getting started

You will be able to get a little more power out of it if you top off the Li-Ion beyond 4.2V, but going past that, even with a trickle charge, is dangerous. I would not recommend replugging it in after it goes green to overcharge it. A lithium fire that could burn down your whole house is not worth the extra minutes of battery life.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:59 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin24k View Post
You will be able to get a little more power out of it if you top off the Li-Ion beyond 4.2V, but going past that, even with a trickle charge, is dangerous. I would not recommend replugging it in after it goes green to overcharge it. A lithium fire that could burn down your whole house is not worth the extra minutes of battery life.
uhmm...what? it won't explode, it does not work that way...

if there is a misconception..by overcharge above means to leave it plugged in..not increase the voltage...

you do get a few minutes from keeping it plugged in after green due to how electric flow works..but its only like a few minutes...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 05-28-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

sigma_wrx is a n00b

To you guys who do it, do you notice a longer battery life? The seidio site says u have to leave it plugged to get a completely full charge. From the site - * All battery life claims are dependent upon
usage patterns, network configuration and
many other factors; actual results will vary. In order to obtain the full capacity of your
Seidio battery, we highly recommend that you
leave the battery/your phone on the charger
for an additional 2-3 hours after the charging
indicator turns green or the battery status
shows full. Does the oem battery work like this too?

Last edited by sigma_wrx; 05-28-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

bjhill2112 is keeping up the good workbjhill2112 is keeping up the good work

Just want to clarify how batteries work for people.

Generally speaking, LI-ION batteries operate within a charge of 3-4.2V. There should be some circuitry in the battery itself that prevents it from discharging below 3V and over 4.2V. If the battery goes much under 3V then it tends to to be able to hold a charge again. If it goes much over 5V then it tends to explode... literally.

When fully charged your battery should be producing about 4.2V of power. As you use it, the voltage produced by the battery starts to go down. As it reaches the 3V range it will shut itself off. When charging, you are forcing a higher voltage into the battery (5V) that causes the flow of electrons in the battery to reverse. The battery should shut itself off at around 4.2V.

The kicker here is the battery drivers in the phone. Not only does the battery have it's own controls, but the battery drivers do also. This "overcharging" would only work if the drivers were flawed in such a way that it either prematurely stops charging or doesn't restart charging when the voltage starts to dip back down when plugged in.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Great explanation.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2