PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Fury22 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Touch Pro 2 Wifi will not connect

I am running VZW WM 6.1 stock rom on my TP2. Wifi has never worked.
If there is a thread here, I can't find it. Could someone point me in the right direction please. I know I can't be the only person that has this issue, although I might just be the last person left alive who has not resolved it.
Will flashing the new WM 6.5 VZW rom fix this issue?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Touch Pro 2 Wifi will not connect

Well... Without knowing what you've tried or what your abilities are, it's almost impossible to answer your question...
Let's start at the begining... Does your settings screen show wifi and data connection active? When active... and you click on settings and then wifi do you see active networks?
What happens when you try to connect?
Let's start there and see how far we can take it.
p.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO
Carrier: Sprint

xefe is becoming a great contributor

definately need more information. Is it giving you an error when you try and connect, do you not see any networks. Does it connect for you but, unable to see the network.

I have trouble sometimes connecting when I have an active sprint data connection. what I do is disable data connect to my wifi network and then I know I am surfing the wifi, i just re enable it after.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Fury22 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECA View Post
Well... Without knowing what you've tried or what your abilities are, it's almost impossible to answer your question...
Let's start at the begining... Does your settings screen show wifi and data connection active? When active... and you click on settings and then wifi do you see active networks?
What happens when you try to connect?
Let's start there and see how far we can take it.
p.
TP2 can see the network, and when I enter the network key from TF3D wifi I get:
"Connection failed. The network key you entered is incorrect. Enter the correct key and tap retry." The network key is correct and less than 12 bytes, laptop is sitting right beside me on wireless network. If I try to log in from the TP2 advance menu area is says connecting then just goes back to available. I have tried both Broadcom 802.11 network adapters listed in phone.
Netgear WGR614 V6 router with latest rom flashed. I have tried with WPA-PSK, WEP and open network settings, on various router radio channels.

Also I forgot I have tried this on wireless b&g, B only and currently G

Thanks for any help

Last edited by Fury22; 03-10-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 03-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 3 & Evo 5G

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work

Is it possible that you are entering the "passphrase" and not the actual WEP key code? (if it is WEP.)

You might need a WEP Key Calculator...
http://www.csgnetwork.com/wepgeneratorcalc.html

The first thing I would try is to disable the password on your router to make it an open network. Try to connect to the open network with no password. This can help you to determine if your phone is the problem, or if your password is the problem. I had a simllar problem with a Nintendo DSi using a WPA2 passcode...It had to be converted into a big long hex code.

One more thing....are you absolutely sure that you are trying to connect to YOUR router? I notice in my part of town, my neighbors have 2WIRE933,2WIRE839,2WIRE393, etc...?

The fact that it tells you the network key is incorrect, causes me to really think that your 12 bit code is just a "passphrase" that needs to be converted to hex when you enter it into the TP2.

Can you get into someone elses router? Maybe try using BACKTRACK 4 to "sniff" your WEP key? This will give you the wep key in the hex format. Occasionally some routers are touchy, and wont take it in hex, and others won't take it in decimal. Some prefer to be on top.

Last edited by mikewest; 03-10-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Fury22 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xefe View Post
definately need more information. Is it giving you an error when you try and connect, do you not see any networks. Does it connect for you but, unable to see the network.

I have trouble sometimes connecting when I have an active sprint data connection. what I do is disable data connect to my wifi network and then I know I am surfing the wifi, i just re enable it after.
I thought I had already tried that, but just tried it again with data connection off.
No dice
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Fury22 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewest View Post
Is it possible that you are entering the "passphrase" and not the actual WEP key code? (if it is WEP.)

You might need a WEP Key Calculator...
http://www.csgnetwork.com/wepgeneratorcalc.html

The first thing I would try is to disable the password on your router to make it an open network. Try to connect to the open network with no password. This can help you to determine if your phone is the problem, or if your password is the problem. I had a simllar problem with a Nintendo DSi using a WPA2 passcode...It had to be converted into a big long hex code.

One more thing....are you absolutely sure that you are trying to connect to YOUR router? I notice in my part of town, my neighbors have 2WIRE933,2WIRE839,2WIRE393, etc...?

The fact that it tells you the network key is incorrect, causes me to really think that your 12 bit code is just a "passphrase" that needs to be converted to hex when you enter it into the TP2.

Can you get into someone elses router? Maybe try using BACKTRACK 4 to "sniff" your WEP key? This will give you the wep key in the hex format. Occasionally some routers are touchy, and wont take it in hex, and others won't take it in decimal. Some prefer to be on top.
Thank Mike I did try an open network with no security and I get the exact same results. I have an old I760 (not active on VZW currently) sitting on my desk also and it connects right up with and without security.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury22 View Post
I thought I had already tried that, but just tried it again with data connection off.
No dice
do you happen to have WifiRouter installed and running?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Cool Re: Touch Pro 2 Wifi will not connect

If you want to test "your" wifi connection using WEP, you can find backtrack here...

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/

I can not help you use it, google (and YouTube) can help....I am not even sure if I am allowed to "talk" about this.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

also make sure you dont have your network adapter 802.11 set to "Use specific IP address"

On the TP2 is is listed as "Broadcom 802.11 DHD Network Adapter" make sure it is set to "Use server-assigned IP address"
Don't just say "Thanks"....give

Last edited by Unknown Zone; 03-10-2010 at 10:21 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
touch pro 2, wifi