PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Arterion is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Arterion Send a message via MSN to Arterion Send a message via Yahoo to Arterion
Zombie Texts: A tale of MightROM, SPB Backup, and Stock Reflash

Gather 'round, children, and let me tell you a most frightening tale.

Once upon a time... err... nevermind, here's the story:

I have been running MightROM for a while, keeping my PIM Data and texts backed up through upgrades using SPB Backup. Occasionally I delete the old texts, but I have a bad habit of not saving numbers, just keeping the text thread. (I know, bad idea...) Anyway, I decided I needed to do some testing on stock so I did a SPB Backup and flashed back. On stock, I installed the cleanup cab, then restored my backup.

At this point, my phone sends dozens of texts to various people. Apparently, it tried to send texts that had previously failed to send! MightyROM would put a link in the thread saying "Text failed to send, try again?", which clicking would cause the message to re-send.

However, through some voodoo, these failed texts were apparently queued up, and stock decided it ought to send them ASAP!

Any idea why this happened, or how to prevent it in the future? I will definitely be doing any future restores in AIRPLANE MODE then checking my outbox, at the very least.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

Delvorak is just getting started
Re: Zombie Texts: A tale of MightROM, SPB Backup, and Stock Reflash

I've had the same thing occur, although only with a few texts, not dozens. Without fail, it's because somehow they got stuck in the outbox, but didn't send originally. When they were backed up and then restored on the new rom (I used Pimbackup), then windows apparently decided that it should try to send them again. I assume that this is because it thinks they are "new" texts now.

I just make sure that i don't restore the outbox when I restore my text messages from a backup. If I'm thinking ahead, I make sure that the outbox doesn't get backed up, or that I go in and deleted everything out of it before backing up. That fixes the issue for me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:15 PM
ipp
Lurker
Pocket PC: ****you
Carrier: ****you

ipp is a n00b

Happened to me too! It was my "drafts" folder, which included around 30 texts of "b" and "hi..." and other random things which I never finished and did not send for whatever reason.

Point being, dont back up your txts. Mine were mostly international, so that cost me $6 on restore!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc 7pro
Carrier: sprint

gemini5150 is a n00b

hahah, this just happened to me too! people got random unfinished text. what sucked is that they were all to people i would not normally text to due to falling outs and what not. do not restore outbox or drafts!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

Arterion is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Arterion Send a message via MSN to Arterion Send a message via Yahoo to Arterion

I am more curious about the technical differences between how stock rom handles failed texts, and how some custom roms handle it. Are there registry differences? Additional software? Can anyone shed any light on this?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2