PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Zombie Texts: A tale of MightROM, SPB Backup, and Stock Reflash (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=111954)

Arterion 02-24-2010 08:38 AM

Zombie Texts: A tale of MightROM, SPB Backup, and Stock Reflash

Gather 'round, children, and let me tell you a most frightening tale.

Once upon a time... err... nevermind, here's the story:

I have been running MightROM for a while, keeping my PIM Data and texts backed up through upgrades using SPB Backup. Occasionally I delete the old texts, but I have a bad habit of not saving numbers, just keeping the text thread. (I know, bad idea...) Anyway, I decided I needed to do some testing on stock so I did a SPB Backup and flashed back. On stock, I installed the cleanup cab, then restored my backup.

At this point, my phone sends dozens of texts to various people. Apparently, it tried to send texts that had previously failed to send! MightyROM would put a link in the thread saying "Text failed to send, try again?", which clicking would cause the message to re-send.

However, through some voodoo, these failed texts were apparently queued up, and stock decided it ought to send them ASAP!

Any idea why this happened, or how to prevent it in the future? I will definitely be doing any future restores in AIRPLANE MODE then checking my outbox, at the very least.

Delvorak 02-24-2010 09:22 AM

Re: Zombie Texts: A tale of MightROM, SPB Backup, and Stock Reflash

I've had the same thing occur, although only with a few texts, not dozens. Without fail, it's because somehow they got stuck in the outbox, but didn't send originally. When they were backed up and then restored on the new rom (I used Pimbackup), then windows apparently decided that it should try to send them again. I assume that this is because it thinks they are "new" texts now.

I just make sure that i don't restore the outbox when I restore my text messages from a backup. If I'm thinking ahead, I make sure that the outbox doesn't get backed up, or that I go in and deleted everything out of it before backing up. That fixes the issue for me.

ipp 02-24-2010 02:15 PM

Happened to me too! It was my "drafts" folder, which included around 30 texts of "b" and "hi..." and other random things which I never finished and did not send for whatever reason.

Point being, dont back up your txts. Mine were mostly international, so that cost me $6 on restore!

gemini5150 02-24-2010 02:21 PM

hahah, this just happened to me too! people got random unfinished text. what sucked is that they were all to people i would not normally text to due to falling outs and what not. do not restore outbox or drafts!

Arterion 02-25-2010 06:47 AM

I am more curious about the technical differences between how stock rom handles failed texts, and how some custom roms handle it. Are there registry differences? Additional software? Can anyone shed any light on this?