PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: What are you planning to do when Windows Phone 7 is released?
Buying a wm7 Phone 113 33.73%
Switching to andriod or another os 66 19.70%
Sticking with wm6.5 55 16.42%
Not sure 101 30.15%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:36 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: What do you think of Windows Phone 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
It's hard to work around the compatibility coz the requirements is .net and silverlight. Codes from existing apps is c+. I think that is stupid on MS's part. But I wouldn't blame them if they wanna drive to a different direction. This means a fresh start.

Plus the fact that there is gonna be some explaining to do in MIX about 3rd party apps multitasking support. There is no need for explaining if it's totally supported. Just say "Yes it has!"
Most apps coded for WM5+ are not developed in C++. Ever since the introduction of the .NET compact framework for our phones, most people develop in C# or VB.NET, which should make the backwards compatibility fairly easy. The problem is that I think they're going for an entirely different type of framework which will not work with the old one. Bummer for us devs.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
Most apps coded for WM5+ are not developed in C++. Ever since the introduction of the .NET compact framework for our phones, most people develop in C# or VB.NET, which should make the backwards compatibility fairly easy. The problem is that I think they're going for an entirely different type of framework which will not work with the old one. Bummer for us devs.
I'm sorry. But if you follow the XDA thread, Nobody mention about C#. They are worrying about C++ developers have to convert it to .net. Here is one of the post:

We have some "ms confidential" documentation dated January 2010 that proves that none of the existing apps would be compatible with WinPhone7. And the only programming suite that is available to "generic" application-writers is Silverlight+XNA. Native apps are prohibited. Only OEMs and MO are allowed to create them (and even they have a set of limitations).
We would not have even source code compatibility - as all our C++ apps have to be converted to .NET.

I really hope that the community would force MS to change such a dumb idea to limit independent software vendors to create only managed apps. Prohibiting C++ as a developing language, and "hiding" Windows API from programmer would force lots of developers to abandon this platform. The main reason of success of old WinMobile OSes was the ability to recompile "desktop" apps to WinMobile with just a minor set of changes (ANSI->Unicode + some interface changes).

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835
Old 02-18-2010, 06:30 PM
you know ...
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

meatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to meatgel

I think 7 looks very interesting, but I got bored with Android pretty quick and I'm worried I will get bored with 7 just as fast. I think I am on the fence between 6.5 and 7 right now until I see more.

Sprint Evo 3D! ...

Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Q_Q
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Q_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
I'm sorry. But if you follow the XDA thread, Nobody mention about C#. They are worrying about C++ developers have to convert it to .net. Here is one of the post:

We have some "ms confidential" documentation dated January 2010 that proves that none of the existing apps would be compatible with WinPhone7. And the only programming suite that is available to "generic" application-writers is Silverlight+XNA. Native apps are prohibited. Only OEMs and MO are allowed to create them (and even they have a set of limitations).
We would not have even source code compatibility - as all our C++ apps have to be converted to .NET.

I really hope that the community would force MS to change such a dumb idea to limit independent software vendors to create only managed apps. Prohibiting C++ as a developing language, and "hiding" Windows API from programmer would force lots of developers to abandon this platform. The main reason of success of old WinMobile OSes was the ability to recompile "desktop" apps to WinMobile with just a minor set of changes (ANSI->Unicode + some interface changes).

Not being a dev, how likely is it that MS will hide behind a security blanket as an excuse to limit open development on their OS?

Would MS use the .NET platform to standardize & control what gets in & out while appearing to be dev friendly. Isn't this what the Mac & Google are appearing to be also?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 PM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Q View Post
Not being a dev, how likely is it that MS will hide behind a security blanket as an excuse to limit open development on their OS?

Would MS use the .NET platform to standardize & control what gets in & out while appearing to be dev friendly. Isn't this what the Mac & Google are appearing to be also?
Yeah. The difference between Apple and Google is that, They started like that. MS on the otherhand started with what we have and then suddenly changed it. People are having a difficult time to understand why now? And users have all the right to question it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuk1 View Post
^ I foresee a lot of WinMo users adopting Android thanks to this unbelievable blunder. Hell, I even thought about it until I heard they were keeping 6.x around.
The concern is while 6.5 may still exists but it will not get as many updates and in the end you know there would be no next version.ok they could pull a 6.6 and 6.7 on us but realistically speaking it does not look good.

As for c++ access..it maybe possible even without emulation. OEMs would be able to code via API but what language will the OEM applications support? This will of course probably require a hack. Aka I find it hard to believe that everything down to the kernals are written in .net.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 02-18-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
The concern is while 6.5 may still exists but it will not get as many updates and in the end you know there would be no next version.ok they could pull a 6.6 and 6.7 on us but realistically speaking it does not look good.

As for c++ access..it maybe possible even without emulation. OEMs would be able to code via API but what language will the OEM applications support? This will of course probably require a hack.
According to some comments, WP7's frame will be different from 6.xx which is why the apps needs to be rewritten.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: pro2
Carrier: sprint

birddseedd is just getting started

It looks like windows media player (media center version)
Old 02-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
6.5 is nice and all, but Android is just so much nicer for me. Having a customizable device without having to hack the hell out of it is a great thing.
I don't have to hack the hell out of mine to get it the way I want it. I just want the option to hack the hell out of it without being locked into a prescribed UI.

I've been reading the thread over at XDA & it's looking even worse than I thought. It's looking like 7 is gonna be an locked down system with an app store with an 'approval process' for developers. Hmm, not unlike the iPhone! Grrr. I don't like idiot-proof OSes. They're no fun. I don't need some e-nanny telling me I can't install something b/c big brother didn't approve it. This is why this new direction MS is headed in has me so worried. I don't want them to go the way of Apple- locking shit down & telling us what we can & can't do with our devices.

There is talk of an 'XDA OS' over there if things turn out really bad with WM7. If MS kills 6.x, then count me in on that.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

its funny how everyone keeps talking about wanting to run old programs on a new device and how microsoft is locking things down. 1st wanting to run old programs is like wanting to play xbox games on the xbox 360, why would you want to do that, when all the new apps are going to look and work better? Do you think there is going to be an app for your old skool phone that won't eventually get ported over, if it doesn't there must be something wrong with the app in the 1st place. 2nd people keep complaining about locking down the phone and so forth, if you guys like having to run custom roms and trying 20 different roms or building your rom just to get your phone to work, you people are definitely in the minority and microsoft doesn't care about you nor should they. I want my phone to work right out of the box, I don't want to have to do hard resets because i installed some stupid program, I can build my own rom with the best of them so I know all the tweaking there is to do with winmo, and I can't think of one reason why I would want to continue that. Look at our forum, its filled with stupid threads and problems that should not be a problem with an os', ppcgeeks forum alone lets you know there is a problem with winmo 6.5. So microsoft knows an app will mess your phone up and so they don't allow it, therefore it makes you mad? the tethering thing is another thing that kills me, just because you buy a certain phone you think you deserve free tethering, people are delusional? Like i said the very few of you guys that like running custom roms just to get your phone to function microsoft doesn't care about you guys, and as you can tell by how much $ they have been losing they shouldn't, you obviously aren't paying them. All i can say is the people who don't want to change will get left behind and there is NO ADVANTAGE of winmo 6 over wp7.
Google is the next skynet
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2