PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Any real-world advice for using TP2 internationally? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=109795)

blackdognorth 02-07-2010 05:00 PM

Any real-world advice for using TP2 internationally?

This is a pretty nice device. No arguing with the keyboard, and it's one of the few good phones on V's shelf that goes GSM/global.

Any experiences here with using V's International voice/data?

Any experiences with getting unlocked and going to a third-party SIM card for the international trip?

Will 3rd party SIMS get you data abroad too or is that just nuts?
(seems like V's international data plan at another $35/month is pretty reasonable- most likely would just want some other SIM/provider to get voice at less than $2-5/minute!)

could you do that? Run V's international data package and use the SIM for voice only?

Sorry for all the questions: This is about the only place where I'd expect serious info so I'm shooting my wad.
Thanks all.

a1d2catz 02-07-2010 05:16 PM

Re: Any real-world advice for using TP2 internationally?

I am currently in Brazil and I have used the TP2 in Mexico and Thailand with international sims. My phone is unlocked and I use a custom rom. The only thing you must do is add a new modem connection for each country and enter the GPRS data manually and then you are set to go. This site pretty much gives you all the info you need for most GSM countries and Operators. http://www.laipac.com/gprs_setting.htm
Hope this helps.

blackdognorth 02-07-2010 09:02 PM

a1-
So you're running in countries with CDMA and don't bother messing with GSM/SIM card?

davejet 02-11-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1d2catz (Post 1548445)
I am currently in Brazil and I have used the TP2 in Mexico and Thailand with international sims. My phone is unlocked and I use a custom rom. The only thing you must do is add a new modem connection for each country and enter the GPRS data manually and then you are set to go. This site pretty much gives you all the info you need for most GSM countries and Operators. http://www.laipac.com/gprs_setting.htm
Hope this helps.

Can you give us an example, maybe with screen pixs of how you enter the data manually.
IE I looked at the website for Dominican Republic:
Dominican
Republic Orange orangenet.com.do guest guest
Where and exactly do I set this info on the TP2
tHANKS

Giovanny 02-12-2010 08:32 AM

I took mine TP2 to ecuador and bought a local sim card for 5 dollars and place it on the phone which I have unlock sim and mighty rom 1/4/10. The phone will try do detect the settings but you must choose the type of carrier in the country you are using it. A soft reset after it configures and you are all done ready to use it. I probably spend about 30 dollars or 40 recharging it but it sure is worth it against paying roaming on sprint.

Meanee 02-12-2010 08:52 AM

Used Sprint TP2 in Mexico (Cancun).

While Sprint wants 1.50 a minute for voice and unclear on data, TelCel was about as much of a ripoff, for a local cell company. Also a lot of calls did not go through, since you have to register your phone online, some law they have. And nobody told me about it. So from 20 calls to USA, about 1-2 will go through.

The data package was something about $50 for unlimited data a month. Did not take it so no experience with it.

My Sprint TP2 was unlocked right out of the box

davejet 02-12-2010 09:03 AM

I just went to Domincan Republic "Punta Cana" stayed at Hotel Arena Real NH for one day. The hotel charges $25 a day for wifi.
When I got to Punta Cana I called sprint international 817-698-4199, its a free call on yor sprint phone anywhere in the world.
I had them turn on unlimited international data for the day and had them to auto stop it at midnite since I was leaving at 5am the next day.
I do have the sprint sim card installed, but I left the phone in CDMA mode, roaming.
It said the network was INTERNATIONAL
The WIFI router worked, and so did my laptop.
In order to get the best results with skype I used it on the touchpro2 with a bluetooth headset.
Worked well
The prorated cost is 69.99 divided by the number of days in month times days of use
so my cost $2.50
Well worth it I was able to skype from the beach

Meanee 02-12-2010 09:17 AM

davejet,

Any info on voice calls? I am planning to go to Punta Cana in May, just wanted to get some info.

Also, wonder if the fact that I do not have my Sprint SIM card will be a problem

yettihead 02-12-2010 10:21 AM

You will not need the Sprint SIM card for the Dominican Republic as CDMA works there. At least it did when I was there in 2007.

bsweetness 02-12-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdognorth (Post 1548902)
a1-
So you're running in countries with CDMA and don't bother messing with GSM/SIM card?

All of the countries he mentioned are GSM.