PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Ruh
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Ruh is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CAB Installation - Storage Card vs Device?

I thought that I read somewhere that it is "okay" to install all cabs to your storage card unless it forces it to your device. However, I was wondering if there were any tools currently used that are better served to be installed onto the device versus being installed onto the storage card.

For example, something that would normally run constantly should probably be installed onto the device vs storage card, correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: CAB Installation - Storage Card vs Device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruh View Post
I thought that I read somewhere that it is "okay" to install all cabs to your storage card unless it forces it to your device. However, I was wondering if there were any tools currently used that are better served to be installed onto the device versus being installed onto the storage card.

For example, something that would normally run constantly should probably be installed onto the device vs storage card, correct?

Thanks in advance.
They say anything that runs on your today screen should be installed on your device. Lot's of programs are capable running on your card though. I just install everything on my device as there is more then enough storage memory on the phone to do so......
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Programs on the device usually run faster.

On my memory-starved Mogul, everything that could go on the Storage Card went there. On my TP1, everything went in the copious Device memory. On my TP2 I'm down to 48Mb free and am starting to consider putting some things on the card.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

msh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to msh441 Send a message via Yahoo to msh441

I have a ton of apps and games.

As a rule of thumb, I have taken to installing Manila/Windows tweaks (the few that let you choose), tools (SPB Backup, MyPhone, Resco registry editor/file explorer, pocketRAR, wmTorrent, task managers, Lumos, ChangeScreen), browsers (Skyfire), multimedia players and services (WunderRadio, nanoGroove,Coreplayer,Midomi) and other programs I want access to 100% of the time (MMS Converter, Bing, Google Maps, GPS Weather Radar, Marketplace/OpnMarket) in the main memory.

Games and whatever else is left (mainly music, notes, wmTorrent files, e-mail attachments, photos and all my backup .cabs) go on the storage card.

Basiclly, I install with the thought of "what could I live without", like if I were to loose/remove/switch my storage card.

That said, I'm at 46% of main memory used and 86% of a 16gig storage card (most of that is music, though).
Old 02-04-2010, 05:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: USCC

chevy454 is just getting started

Say I wanna free up some device storage, how can I tell which programs are installed on the the device and which are on the storage card? Just a simple check in the "programs" folder??
Old 02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

msh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to msh441 Send a message via Yahoo to msh441

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
Say I wanna free up some device storage, how can I tell which programs are installed on the the device and which are on the storage card? Just a simple check in the "programs" folder??
For me, following my scary-anal method above, I pretty much know which type of program ended up where... so I know what programs from the uninstall list will free up device memory.

If there was a question however, I would just use Resco Explorer and navigate to Windows\Start Menu\Programs and hold on the specific program's shortcut icon, the select "Properties". Under properties click the "shortcut" tab at the bottom of the page. There's a window on the next page that will tell where the target program .exe is located (Programs\???.exe vs. Storage Card\Programs\???.exe).
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Ruh
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Threadstarter

Ruh is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Awesome everyone, thanks!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2