PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Puk???? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=109035)

KrisK91 02-02-2010 02:34 AM

Puk????

Alright so I was messing around with my phone when I found another area I shouldn't be in. (I was comm manager and I clicked the 'phone' settings) it brought up a screen I had never seen. anyway I click on the PIN code and it asked for my pin (which I didn't know. so I tried some but weren't correct) then it asked me for my PUK code/number which I do not know. is there anyway to find out what this number is??
please help!
thanks!!!

[sammich] 02-02-2010 02:47 AM

Re: Puk????

You were in GSM/UTMS settings, weren't you? Anyways, I think those have to deal with SIM locking. I'm not sure what a PUK code is exactly though. Sorry :(

KrisK91 02-02-2010 02:48 AM

I guess I was, I happened to get into the phone settings I wasent trying to. thanks anyway tho.

[sammich] 02-02-2010 02:56 AM

WAIT! I just did some digging... And if its asking for your PUK code, you're in trouble!

From AT&T's website:
Quote:

Question:
What is a PUK code?
Answer:
A PUK code (Pin Unlock Key) is required when you enter an incorrect PIN 3 times. After entering the wrong PIN 3 times, the card will be locked and you will need to get a PUK code to unlock it.

Once your PUK has been received, it will need to be entered into your phone to set a new PIN code.

If the wrong PUK code is entered ten times in a row, the SIM card becomes invalid and you will need to purchase a new SIM Card. The phone will display "PUK blocked call operator".

KrisK91 02-02-2010 02:59 AM

well I didnt put any codes in for the PUK code cause I for sure didnt know what it was so I still have my 10 trys left. i just need a way to find out what my PUK code is.

KrisK91 02-02-2010 03:04 AM

are u sure?

pixelpower 02-02-2010 03:06 AM

Look save yourself the trouble just call your carrier and tell them you where playing around with the phone when it asked for PUK. Otherwise you might me locked out of using your phone

imnuts 02-02-2010 04:41 AM

I doubt you'd be locked out of using your phone, you'd just be prevented from using it while roaming on GSM networks unless you get a new SIM since CDMA doesn't require or rely on the SIM card. I doubt having a dead SIM in a CDMA world phone would do anything if you weren't using the GSM capabilities.

HBOOT 02-02-2010 05:34 AM

dUDE, ALL SIM have a PUK code, just refer to the material that came with your TP2, check the thing like a plastic card where the SIM was cut out, there you will find yout PUK, man:mrgreen: without that PUK, SIM useless if it gets locked, always keep that thing safe if you are planning on using it

imnuts 02-02-2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HB (Post 1534431)
dUDE, ALL SIM have a PUK code, just refer to the material that came with your TP2, check the thing like a plastic card where the SIM was cut out, there you will find yout PUK, man:mrgreen: without that PUK, SIM useless if it gets locked, always keep that thing safe if you are planning on using it

CDMA TP2s came with them pre-installed, no plastic card to pull the sim out of...

HBOOT 02-02-2010 06:28 AM

i thought i saw one in my package, i will check, there has to be my friend:mrgreen:

HBOOT 02-02-2010 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the plactic thingy, no PUK iN the back, Sprint may have that. Usually it is there in all SIM cards I have seen, I use strictly GSM where I am at, no CDMA....

imnuts 02-02-2010 07:45 AM

I don't know about the Sprint phones, but I did not get anything holding the SIM, it was pre-installed in the device, same goes for my girlfriend's BB Tour worldphone. I have seen those before and know what you're talking about, but they aren't there, at least for VZW people.

KrisK91 02-02-2010 08:49 AM

whats the diffrence between CDMA and GSM?

[sammich] 02-02-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisK91 (Post 1534536)
whats the diffrence between CDMA and GSM?

Boy oh boy... You have lots of homework to do! :D

CDMA and GSM are 2 different cellular technologies.

In the USA, these carriers are CDMA:
Sprint, Verizon, USCellular

These carriers are GSM:
AT&T, T-Mobile

GSM is the technology that most carriers in other countries use. The beauty of the TP2 is that it can operate on BOTH GSM and CDMA networks, which makes it an international phone.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/gsm-vs-cdma.html
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...m-and-cdma.htm

siff 02-02-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnuts (Post 1534509)
I don't know about the Sprint phones, but I did not get anything holding the SIM, it was pre-installed in the device, same goes for my girlfriend's BB Tour worldphone. I have seen those before and know what you're talking about, but they aren't there, at least for VZW people.

Your SIM card is already in your phone from the provisioning site in Verizon. If you take your battery off and look in the top right of your bat compartment you will see the actual SIM chip, same on your girls Tour.

imnuts 02-02-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siff (Post 1534547)
Your SIM card is already in your phone from the provisioning site in Verizon. If you take your battery off and look in the top right of your bat compartment you will see the actual SIM chip, same on your girls Tour.

I know where it is, and that is what I said if you re-read my post. It doesn't come with the card that you pop the SIM out of that supposedly has the PUK on it. As far as I'm aware, all CDMA TP2s came with the SIM pre-installed and do not have the card the user needs with the PUK.

KrisK91 02-02-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ⌥ saumaun ☢ (Post 1534540)
Boy oh boy... You have lots of homework to do! :D

CDMA and GSM are 2 different cellular technologies.

In the USA, these carriers are CDMA:
Sprint, Verizon, USCellular

These carriers are GSM:
AT&T, T-Mobile

GSM is the technology that most carriers in other countries use. The beauty of the TP2 is that it can operate on BOTH GSM and CDMA networks, which makes it an international phone.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/gsm-vs-cdma.html
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...m-and-cdma.htm

thanks for clarifing that for me. but why would you want to do that?

w7excursion 02-02-2010 10:31 AM

The tp2 is a world edition phone. GSM is used in other countries. So if you want to use your phone around the world you need a sim card to use the GSM networks.

lwrdrchvy2 02-02-2010 11:48 AM

The PUK code is only available from your carrier. If you call them or take the phone into a store they should be able to enter it for you. I work for t-mobile and people constantly bring their phones in for the code because they let someone mess around with it and got locked out.

siff 02-02-2010 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to check my box. In the global Support Pak in the box from VZW comes the card with the knock out and with the PUK on it.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...1&d=1265130771

Mr. X 02-02-2010 01:35 PM

some times you must call the provider for the PUK code. the sim has been locked down until this is entered. in fact the whole phone should be locked down. this is an anti-theft measure.

Some PUK codes are randomly generated by the carrier i have heard and change after use as well.

KrisK91 02-02-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwrdrchvy2 (Post 1534794)
The PUK code is only available from your carrier. If you call them or take the phone into a store they should be able to enter it for you. I work for t-mobile and people constantly bring their phones in for the code because they let someone mess around with it and got locked out.

thank you very much

KrisK91 02-11-2010 06:03 PM

I have called sprint and they were not able to help me. :( any ideas/help?
thanks

abrigham 02-11-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisK91 (Post 1559054)
I have called sprint and they were not able to help me. :( any ideas/help?
thanks

You may need to call again and ask for World Phone support or something like that... I would imagine the general tech support ppl have no clue how to work with SIM cards... You may also have some luck if you take it to your nearest Sprint repair center.

austin420 02-11-2010 06:18 PM

op, are you locked out of the phone? if not why do you need this code so bad? the sim unlock from cmonex/olinex with the flashed radio will make your phone work on the us gsm networks. if your going to use the phone abroad, it shouldnt need this puk code anyway. maybe im just confused or didnt read all your posts well enough. but if your just learning what the difference between cdma and gsm you prolly shouldnt be jackin with this any way.

KrisK91 02-13-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrigham (Post 1559080)
You may need to call again and ask for World Phone support or something like that... I would imagine the general tech support ppl have no clue how to work with SIM cards... You may also have some luck if you take it to your nearest Sprint repair center.

yeah I brought it to a sprint store and they were all clueless as well. this sucks.

KrisK91 02-13-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 1559098)
op, are you locked out of the phone? if not why do you need this code so bad? the sim unlock from cmonex/olinex with the flashed radio will make your phone work on the us gsm networks. if your going to use the phone abroad, it shouldnt need this puk code anyway. maybe im just confused or didnt read all your posts well enough. but if your just learning what the difference between cdma and gsm you prolly shouldnt be jackin with this any way.

I was in the phone settings I clicked on 'pin' then it asked for the pin (I thought I knew it, but I didnt.) so then I hit cancel and then from that point on it has been asking me to enter in the PUK number everytime I turn my phone on. I DONT really need it, its just a complete pain to have to wait to hit 'cancel' before my phone will finish loading and start up.

austin420 02-14-2010 12:05 AM

hard reset???

HTCotta 02-14-2010 12:15 AM

So this important code is on the card the SIM card came out of? What if my SIM came out of the display Blackberry Tour at the Sprint store? haha

lipidfats 02-14-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 1564067)
hard reset???

it's prob one of those things a hard reset won't fix... some settings that deal with the phone part of the device won't revert to default even with a hard reset i've noticed.

pts69666 02-14-2010 12:38 AM

The number on the SIM holder is the ICC ID. The Sprint store won't be able to give you the PUK code for it because most people in service centers are clueless about anything. I used to work for one for three years. You are going to have to call tech support, maybe the international department. They have PUK generators. You will need the ICC ID from the SIM card plastic card thing tho. It takes us forever to get a hold of the right people even calling our tech support line. And that's just for Nextel. Last time I called our Tech support for a Sprint SIM card issue, I had to argue with a lady for about 10 min about how this is a Sprint phone that has a SIM. She didn't believe me that this Sprint phone had a SIM..... fail.....

KrisK91 02-15-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 1564067)
hard reset???

I have tried that as well.

KrisK91 02-15-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pts69666 (Post 1564126)
The number on the SIM holder is the ICC ID. The Sprint store won't be able to give you the PUK code for it because most people in service centers are clueless about anything. I used to work for one for three years. You are going to have to call tech support, maybe the international department. They have PUK generators. You will need the ICC ID from the SIM card plastic card thing tho. It takes us forever to get a hold of the right people even calling our tech support line. And that's just for Nextel. Last time I called our Tech support for a Sprint SIM card issue, I had to argue with a lady for about 10 min about how this is a Sprint phone that has a SIM. She didn't believe me that this Sprint phone had a SIM..... fail.....

yes same here, I had to get the lady from sprint to understand that the TP2 had a SIM card, she told me the PUK number are only needed with SIM card phones. It took like 10 mins to finally come to agreement that the phone had a SIM. but by that time I was already pissed.

Oditius 02-15-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisK91 (Post 1566374)
but by that time I was already pissed.

](*,) That is when you take the Prozac and calm down. But lets face it, the person on the other end has got to have one of the top 10 shitty jobs in the world. People only call her/him when they are frustrated, pissed off, and mad as hell. They have to try to help, calm you down and hopefully solve your problems using the computer to feed in your problem. There is a 99% chance they don't know what the heck you are talking about, they are underpaid, under trained and overworked. :protest: And being pissed isn't going to help. :disgust: This is why I won't work in the CSR department, I would tell a customer where to get off!! :mrgreen: But I do have friends that are CSR's. I know that this may not help your problem, but maybe a little bit of what it feels like on the other side of the phone.

pesok 02-15-2010 11:54 AM

first just to clarify: A PIN Unlock Code (PUC) or PIN Unlock Key (PUK) is used to unblock a blocked card.
Second find the card that had your sim in it(sim holder-looks like credit card with hole of the size of sim card in it) since you going to need digits from the backside of it. Then just call sprint and ask for it, if you get a moron that doesn't know what PUK code is - ask for supervisor or just hang up and call again. Here is the best number: 1-817-698-4199, option 2.

KrisK91 02-18-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesok (Post 1566581)
first just to clarify: A PIN Unlock Code (PUC) or PIN Unlock Key (PUK) is used to unblock a blocked card.
Second find the card that had your sim in it(sim holder-looks like credit card with hole of the size of sim card in it) since you going to need digits from the backside of it. Then just call sprint and ask for it, if you get a moron that doesn't know what PUK code is - ask for supervisor or just hang up and call again. Here is the best number: 1-817-698-4199, option 2.

I have called them so many times in fact the only info they gave me was to hard reset the phone or bring it to a sprint store, which i did and they didn't know what the PUK number was.

HBOOT 02-18-2010 01:33 PM

that means you got a moron:mrgreen:

kabuk1 02-18-2010 02:20 PM

I got into this same little situation years ago with my old T-mobile phone. Either keep calling till you get someone that knows what's going on, or else take it to a store. Check the box youru phone came in, the big card for your sim might be in there. I think mine was.

KrisK91 02-22-2010 10:48 AM

yeah I have the card that the SIM card was attached to, but it doesn't have the PUK number on it.