PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 03:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Trip to Mexico (Sprint). $0.002/KB. Too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
LOL...did you expect anything but for them to disagree with what was told you by the previous rep? very cool regarding the worldwide data plan. like i said...i can add this to my plan when i go out of the country this coming spring. hmmm...i wonder if there's a keyboard and mouse that i can connect to my tp2. already have the a/v cable to connect to tv. since i won't have internet connection where im going, i can pretend that i have a desktop using my tp2 and the worldwide data connection!..
I'm too lazy to test right now, but I'm assuming any Bluetooth KB will work.
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 04-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/800w/HTC TP/TP2/HD2
Carrier: Sprint/Tmobile

Improve is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0011j View Post
There isn't a 'Data' plan. It is just international roaming for the TP 2.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...=30&submit.y=9

Blackberry has a plan because of RIM and their network.

In Mexico you do not need any additional features, but other than Mexico and Canada you do need to have International features on your phone.

Otherwise for Data it is .002 per kb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartels View Post
Update: They DO have international data plans. I can't believe how often the Sprint reps disagree with each other:

Me: If not and I use my estimate of 82724 of data, how much would that cost? I want to make sure I don't get burned.
Gina: Sprint offers a worldwide data plan for $69.99/month. With this plan you have access to data service around the world where available with your device for only $69.99/month. If you don't have it for a full month we prorate that.

I see no one has posted in this thread in some time. I found allot of great info here and wanted to see if anyone else has tried Sprints worldwide data plan?

I'm planning a 5day cruise in 3 weeks leaving from Tampa FL., to Cozamel M.X., and Grand Cayman Islands, and finally returning back to Florida.

My main concern when using the link in the 1st post I quoted is that I wont be on the mainland most of the time since I'm cruising to my destinations. I was on a cruise last year, and made a 2min phone call from my TP1, while docked at the port of Key West and sprint considered that international roaming and I had a $28 bill for that.

Now I have the TP2 so I fully want to take advantage of this situation.

The second post I quoted makes the most sense to me because you can just add the service before you leave and then get it prorated for the days of service used before termination of World Wide data.

At this point I would like to get feed back from anyone who has used this service. Please fill me in on any pros or cons, and anything I should know or look out for before or while using the service. Any info would be much appreciated.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Improve is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Ill try this again to see if I get a response, just wanted all the ammunition I could get when dealing with Sprint. I would like to enjoy this service with no strings attached or future surpri$e$.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: palm pre
Carrier: sprint

texdoctor is a n00b

now the cheapest way is to use data service on a cell phone from mexico on telcel 3gb for 30 days is 500 pesos about 40 bucks, using same chip local calls are not cheap on chips. 5 pesos a min with two mins charges that is like 85 cents per phone call. now if you age just going to the border area. you can put border plan for 5 bucks get unlimited calls to land lines and 18 cents a min to all others. I do not know if you have to live on the border to get this service. but well worth it
Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: palm pre
Carrier: sprint

texdoctor is a n00b

or if you want to use movistar the internet for 30 days is like 300 pesos 25.00 bucks
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Cruise the caribean on Sprint TP2 (world wide)

Thanks for your sugestion, but I am hardly going to be in mexico longer than 1day. I wont even be on mainland for longer than 2 days. Mostly Ill be at sea, so that is why I am most intrested in sprints world wide plan or any other sprint related sugestions. I detailed my situation and trip on post #32. Maybe some one can shed some light on this subject or share their experience with this service.

Last edited by Improve; 04-13-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Dumbphone - Vogue - Touch Pro - Touch Pro 2 - Evo

Meanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Just checked with Sprint. They have the international data roaming for $69.99, no commitment, can be prorated.

In Dominican Republic (going there in May) and in Mexico (was there in October), no need for SIM card, data goes over EVDO.

When I was in Mexico, I was basically raped by Telcel. Calls to USA were about $1 per minute, and most calls did not go through. According to their web site, I had to register my phone or whatnot. So about 90% of a time, I couldn't get through.

This time it's unlimited data + skype or Google Voice for me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Buggy222 is a n00b

I used my TP1 many many times on cruises. I check my email and sent some photos. Total cost for the trip with 3 mexican port visits was $8-$15 total. Make sure you are on CDMA (because I am sure the GSM partners would be more expensive), call sprint international before you leave to be sure they have enabled your international service, and make sure you are in port and not on the the ships cellphone service.

At sea the ships have a Maritime Roaming service which used to be only voice calls but it now sometimes includes expensive data services. It is supposed to be shut off in port. Normally if you see the roaming signal (the triangle), or it is 1X, you are probably on ship service. Sprint International will be Evdo.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2

Luckylindy is a n00b

Just curious. Has anyone tried finding an open wifi connection and just tapping into that? As anyone has seen in the states, there are always unsecured wifi spots to be had. I can't imagine that anyone is any smarter south of the border. The biggest issue I could see is the limited number of hotspots.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanee View Post
Just checked with Sprint. They have the international data roaming for $69.99, no commitment, can be prorated.

In Dominican Republic (going there in May) and in Mexico (was there in October), no need for SIM card, data goes over EVDO.

When I was in Mexico, I was basically raped by Telcel. Calls to USA were about $1 per minute, and most calls did not go through. According to their web site, I had to register my phone or whatnot. So about 90% of a time, I couldn't get through.

This time it's unlimited data + skype or Google Voice for me.
Sounds great! I saw this in a few threads, thanks for verifying. Only thing I want to be 100% clear on is, does the International Data Roaming plan mean unlimited data ? Or do you get billed a certain amount per specified data usage?

I have 1,500 voice, unlimited data and text on my regular plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy222 View Post
I used my TP1 many many times on cruises. I check my email and sent some photos. Total cost for the trip with 3 mexican port visits was $8-$15 total. Make sure you are on CDMA (because I am sure the GSM partners would be more expensive), call sprint international before you leave to be sure they have enabled your international service, and make sure you are in port and not on the the ships cellphone service.

At sea the ships have a Maritime Roaming service which used to be only voice calls but it now sometimes includes expensive data services. It is supposed to be shut off in port. Normally if you see the roaming signal (the triangle), or it is 1X, you are probably on ship service. Sprint International will be Evdo.
Thanks for your advice. When you mention the dollar amount billed, and suggest I make sure I'm on CDMA, did you add the International Data Roaming for 69.99 (prorated) or did you use this? Or even both?

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popu...ruiseship.html

Now you can stay connected on the high seas using your Sprint PCS® phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckylindy View Post
Just curious. Has anyone tried finding an open wifi connection and just tapping into that? As anyone has seen in the states, there are always unsecured wifi spots to be had. I can't imagine that anyone is any smarter south of the border. The biggest issue I could see is the limited number of hotspots.
Thanks for the suggestion, but based on my last cruise about a year ago I was not able to connect to any one elses WIFI because every ones was secured, additionaly I was able to connect to the AT&T hot spot on the ship with my TP1 (last year) but had to pay as with all AT&T hot spot connections. Once I was on land in Mexico I was to busy having fun to try anything with my phone, and risk added charges. I got home to a $28 bill for about 3 very short (not more than 3 min, but Im sure some txt's came in as well) phone calls on the ship while docked in Key west. They claimed I was in international waters. I see what they where trying to say but common, the ship was docked, had not even moved an inch and I was in Key West, US. But I was not going to even argue over $28, lesson learned.

I have read all over as well that sprint does not guarantee text, many people who sailed as recent as Feb 2010 posted on other sites that they did not receive all the messages sent back and fourth throughout their cruse until they reached Florida and where actually getting off.

I have no major issue with this, just wanted to see if anyone else has heard or dealt with this. Ill be happy if I can make a few short phone calls from the ship and mainland Cozumel, and Cayman Island (at least Cozumel, Were going in couples and might split up from time to time) and use my data when I need too.

My data and voice are the main concern for the cruise, texting would be cool but Ill be happy with 2 out of 3.

Again to every one major thanks for all the advice, help, and suggestions. Keep the info coming. I also don't want to diverge form the focus of this forum. I'm sure it will help many people plan out what to do during they're spring, summer and fall vacations, especially on cruses and trips to the Caribbean, and central and south America. But it would be cool to post links to added goodies we find that would only help, IE; waterproof cases, anti glare screen protectors, etc.while on vacation, But try to keep it to either really good ones or ones you have personally used and recommend as solid products.

Thanks guys... Here's to pimpin the TP2 in the Caribbean and around the world. ha,ha =D>

Last edited by Improve; 04-13-2010 at 04:59 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2