PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Who plans to go HD2?

Of course, all of this doesn't matter since all the major carriers will be 4G LTE within the next year or so anyway. 3G is already old technology

GSM and CDMA will soon be no more
Old 12-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
GSM is NOT worse than CDMA. Maybe in your area CDMA might have better coverage o0r something, but the technology is not even close.

Some examples:
1: On our Touch Pro 2's the dialer has a hold button while the GSM version has a conference button. Why? Because CDMA doesn't support it.

2: Simultaneous voice and data on GSM, not CDMA. It sure was nice when I could open Bing and find a movie and restaraunt- while talking to my wife about what she wanted to do. Or watch the game on my slingplayer and not get interupted when my wife calls. Or send an email while talking to someone and have them tell me they got it before I get off the phone.

3: Cell tower location. When you open Bing or Google Maps on a GSM phone it knows your location before the app even finishes opening. There is no waiting for the GPS to lock on, or using the last saved location untiul the GPS locks on. It just uses the cell tower to locate you instantly, which it can't do on CDMA.

4: Better phones because of the world supports the same technology.

5: Easier to change phones. Just pop out your SIM card and pop it into the new phone. No need to get an online activation or call. No need to buy a phone that is in some database and get forced onto a certain plan or whatever. No need to make sure one phone is turned off for a certain amount if time while the new phone gets activated. Just pop in the SIM card and go.

6: Speed. AT&T has the fastest 3G in the nation right now if you have coverage. Their only issue is way too many users. But if there aren't way too many users in yoru area, AT&T will have the fastest 3G right now- both upload (which isn't even close) and download. And T-Mobile is just about to launch their nationwide 21 meg HSPA+ 3G network. So they are about to go from worst to first in that catagory. They have been silently upgrading for a while, but have yet to "flip the on switch" yet. When they do, look out.

Seriously man, GSM blows CDMA out of the water. The only way anyone can say CDMA is better is if they have better CDMA coverage in their area (and I mean WAY better, because if it's close GSM will still win).
Did you read that recent gizmodo report where they tested 3G networks in multiple cities and AT&T had by far the fastest? Lok at it like this, AT&T has been claiming they had the fastest 3G for a while now. Nobody has called BS on them. Verizon, rather than call BS on them, instead went after their coverage. So even Verizon is agreeing with me- if you have good coverage, AT&T will be better.

I am on Sprint because it is cheaper, not because I think it's the best...
yes its easier to change phones but so what. simultaneous talk and data is the only advantage. when it comes to speed of 3g service and network realiability and coverage gsm is boo boo. you need to read thru this whole thread and the other hd2 thread, do you see how many people won't leave sprint and big red, its because the gsm network sucks my friend. the potential is out there, but its not as good as sprint and verizon, this thread alone proves that.
Google is the next skynet
Old 12-29-2009, 04:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

From the Microsoft forums, posted by a Microsoft employee, regarding Bing and cell tower location on CDMA:
In case this might also help: The Bing team has been tracking and isolating this issue. They reported to me today that Bing does not work with CDMA at this time but they are continuing to investigate what they can do including collaboration with carriers. Note that some CDMA carriers lock GPS/Locate Me for 911 use only, hence some of this limitation issue.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...8-d45b618a6cd2
Old 12-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evil Evo

i360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50301; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

With a screen this big and the use of swype (and the other one) its made my keyboard useless. Although the TP2 size is perfect the HD2 size is overkill, but I may switch if it comes to Sprint and give the TP2 to my other half....
Old 12-29-2009, 04:40 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
yes its easier to change phones but so what. simultaneous talk and data is the only advantage. when it comes to speed of 3g service and network realiability and coverage gsm is boo boo. you need to read thru this whole thread and the other hd2 thread, do you see how many people won't leave sprint and big red, its because the gsm network sucks my friend. the potential is out there, but its not as good as sprint and verizon, this thread alone proves that.
Well AT&T has mopre users than Sprint, and T-Mobile is rapidly approaching them, so this thread doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme of things.

Sprint is losing customers by the millions every quarter, while both T-Mobile and AT&T are gaining by the millions every quarter. I would think that millions of people speaking with their wallets means a lot more than what 20 or 50 people post in a thread.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:41 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschelon View Post
Of course, all of this doesn't matter since all the major carriers will be 4G LTE within the next year or so anyway. 3G is already old technology

GSM and CDMA will soon be no more
Sprint is not going LTE, they are going WiMax.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

If the HD2 comes to Sprint & I can AFFORD it, count me in. I won't switch carriers for it though.

I would have a sex change before I'd switch to GSM. Its old technology, and like p-slim said, simultaneous voice & data are the only real advantage. Yeah you can switch phones easier, but how many times do you really NEED to do that? Sprint is perfect. Fast data, cheap plans, and the phones I want. My parents & I share a family plan- 3 phones for a grand total of exactly $100 a month. That's including my data & unlimited text, and NO it's not a grandfathered plan. If I switched to AT&T I'd pay that much just for ONE line. They wanted a $750 deposit from me the one time I tried to sign up years ago, and my credit wasn't even that bad. And don't get me started on T-Mo. I had them back in 05 & one time I went a whole WEEK not being able to make calls & nobody could figure out why. I have a friend with T-Mo that can't receive pic mail unless he's OUTSIDE.

I've personally compared data speeds on my phone & my best friend's AT&T phone, and mine was faster.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
Old 12-29-2009, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

All of you guys saying simultaneous voice and data are the only real advantage to GSM must not have read my post where I listed 6 advantages...

Remember before the iPhone could use MMS or copy and paste how all the iPhone users used to say "It's nopt important to me anyway" and then those same users jumped for joy when they got those features? CDMA users seem to be doing the same thing in this thread. If CDMA ever got the advantages I listed for GSM, all of you would be celebrating it.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 PM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

who needs a physical keyboard with that massive onscreen keyboard? that things a beauty and snappy as can be, the youtube vids make me wanna jiz n my shizorts... I Myself left a cdma carrier for tmobiles tp2 (long story but I savd money and got 2) gsm is just as good as cdma in my area so thats why i did it,,,, but i wouldnt recomment it unless you got good 3g like here in Portland Or.... Cdma does have better signal in general..... I do like the easy switching of phones and talk and data at the same time.... Cdma is better though IMO......

back on topic yes ill probably get it if its got good battery life, i mean why wait till later 2010 for another one? What if I die a week before that, damnnn...lol

Last edited by Dragon2; 12-29-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 PM
VIP Member

For data speeds, here you guys go:
http://gizmodo.com/5428343/

Note that in good coverage areas, AT&T wins hands down.

Trust me, I had AT&T and now I have Sprint. AT&T data is way better, not even close. And when you factor in coverage inside buildings, GSM destroys CDMA.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2