PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 02:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

coppertop24 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TP2 ram question.

Darkman is right. TP2 has 288MB RAM (-32MB video), but for some reason only 188MB is available for us. This was discussed when it was released but i forget where the 'missing' memory has gone to. Certainly isnt available for our use which is very disappointing. My TP1 never slowed down but my TP2 does on a regular basis, especially when browsing.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 and Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint(03/09-Now), T-Mobile(06/06-now)

pesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuff

Guys that keep telling him he has RAM with Storage confused - he DOES NOT, and he is not confused but you are the OP got it right. In all specs TP2 is trumpeted as having 288 of RAM(just like original TP) but in fact not all of it is available to you. I cant find the link anywhere now but i believe it took 64mb for video plus another 32mb for baseband. Please correct if i am wrong.

When you can tether for free?: D
Old 12-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero
Threadstarter

DarkManX4lf is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertop24 View Post
Darkman is right. TP2 has 288MB RAM (-32MB video), but for some reason only 188MB is available for us. This was discussed when it was released but i forget where the 'missing' memory has gone to. Certainly isnt available for our use which is very disappointing. My TP1 never slowed down but my TP2 does on a regular basis, especially when browsing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesok View Post
Guys that keep telling him he has RAM with Storage confused - he DOES NOT, and he is not confused but you are the OP got it right. In all specs TP2 is trumpeted as having 288 of RAM(just like original TP) but in fact not all of it is available to you. I cant find the link anywhere now but i believe it took 64mb for video plus another 32mb for baseband. Please correct if i am wrong.
Thanks guys....I thought I was going crazy here.

Anyone find that link that said what the missing memory was for? I couldn't find it. Also what is "basband"?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 and Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint(03/09-Now), T-Mobile(06/06-now)

pesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkManX4lf View Post
Thanks guys....I thought I was going crazy here.

Anyone find that link that said what the missing memory was for? I couldn't find it. Also what is "basband"?
Look here, it clearly states 32mb go to baseband, baseband is responsible for radio operation(Edvo/calls). As for another 64mb it goes to video and most likely to performance, no wonder TP2 runs so much smoother than TP(1) with the seemingly same exact specs. Dont feel bad since according to this big bad monster HD2(with 448mb of RAM) will only have in fact (drum roll) - 201mb acessible? whaat?

Last edited by pesok; 12-24-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

bastian74 is becoming a great contributor

Remember you can turn off push internet, and the htc app proxy cache and free up 20-30MB. My TP2 boots (with Mobile Shell) to 41% usage.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero
Threadstarter

DarkManX4lf is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesok View Post
Look here, it clearly states 32mb go to baseband, baseband is responsible for radio operation(Edvo/calls). As for another 64mb it goes to video and most likely to performance, no wonder TP2 runs so much smoother than TP(1) with the seemingly same exact specs. Dont feel bad since according to this big bad monster HD2(with 448mb of RAM) will only have in fact (drum roll) - 201mb acessible? whaat?
Yeah that kinda sucks, but probably means better video support and a much smoother device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastian74 View Post
Remember you can turn off push internet, and the htc app proxy cache and free up 20-30MB. My TP2 boots (with Mobile Shell) to 41% usage.
I have both those cabs installed and from a fresh boot with Sense UI 2.5, I get around 47% usage...which is not too bad but more is better....greedy eh?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastian74 View Post
Disable the proxy cache and you will quickly notice how slowly applications start up. For some this may be bearable and worth the savings in RAM, but I ended up re-enabling it soon thereafter.

Last edited by quick99si; 12-24-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

At any rate, pagepool setting drops your available RAM as well. With a 0 dynamic pagepool, you can get ~199.15 MB.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

EnergyRom 12/17 - WM6.5, Sense 2.5, MaxManila 2.6. Push internet disabled, proxy cache enabled, + my own apps.

Boot = 63% usage (incl. Magicall 14kb, SMS Patch 261kb, Lumos 309kb)

Program
Total: 168.03mb
In Use: 105.26
Free: 62.77

PHM Task Manager shows that the CommManager is autoloaded and uses 558kb, BTTreyCE.exe 26kb. Manila is "only" 1378kb, tmail 68kb.

So where is this 168mb total coming from? The page pool is set to 30mb by the way.

Last edited by quick99si; 12-24-2009 at 09:26 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2