PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Turnkeys is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Any hope for Google Voice app for WM?

I've been using iDialer and iContacts. Think I saw a companion for them, iAvatar if I recall correctly; basically just the contacts app with thumbnails.

In a nutshell, these lightweight apps dial your GV# and handle all the login & dialing, making it 1-touch for contacts, and straight dialing for other numbers.

You do need to go to their website for a custom cab; they add in your pin & GV# to the install. I haven't tried the Avatar companion yet, but the other two work well. Enjoy.

iDialer

iContact

iAvatar
Old 12-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

+1 to iDialer and iContact....

the dialer is responsive...and you can hit the "hidden" button on the top left and switch between calling out from GV OR calling out from your carrier. Handy if you didn't do a complete switch to GV.

iContact integrates seamlessly with iDialer...so it all doesn't skip a beat.

map your soft keys or hard keys to them...it can actually completely replace the the htc dialer and htc contacts.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnkeys View Post
I've been using iDialer and iContacts. Think I saw a companion for them, iAvatar if I recall correctly; basically just the contacts app with thumbnails.

In a nutshell, these lightweight apps dial your GV# and handle all the login & dialing, making it 1-touch for contacts, and straight dialing for other numbers.

You do need to go to their website for a custom cab; they add in your pin & GV# to the install. I haven't tried the Avatar companion yet, but the other two work well. Enjoy.

iDialer

iContact

iAvatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by amw1972 View Post
+1 to iDialer and iContact....

the dialer is responsive...and you can hit the "hidden" button on the top left and switch between calling out from GV OR calling out from your carrier. Handy if you didn't do a complete switch to GV.

iContact integrates seamlessly with iDialer...so it all doesn't skip a beat.

map your soft keys or hard keys to them...it can actually completely replace the the htc dialer and htc contacts.
Did either of you bother to read the thread before you responded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdnmatt View Post
The problem with this is that I'm still getting charged for txts by my carrier. If the phone used data to connect to GV to send/receive txts like going through the web browser does, then I wouldn't have pay for any txts. The main reason I want this so for when I'm in Europe. I pay almost 10 cents a txt on prepaid and only 5 euros for 3GB of data (A LOT more txts for the price). 5 Euros at 10 cents each = 50 txts. 3GB of data = more like 5000 txts. EDIT: I should add this is mainly for txting people back home in the STATES.
Ahh, that makes more sense as to why you are looking for an app then. Didn't realize that. I think at this point you are actually better off using the mobile site for your texting needs.

If you are worried about being alerted when you receive a message then just setup a push email account (if you don't have one already) and have GV forward texts to email. You lose the char counter and threaded convo view, but at least you can receive and respond to texts using data only.

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX View Post
Did either of you bother to read the thread before you responded?

Ahh, that makes more sense as to why you are looking for an app then. Didn't realize that. I think at this point you are actually better off using the mobile site for your texting needs.

If you are worried about being alerted when you receive a message then just setup a push email account (if you don't have one already) and have GV forward texts to email. You lose the char counter and threaded convo view, but at least you can receive and respond to texts using data only.
Wait, so if I forward my txts to email, I can respond to the email and it will be sent as a txt to the sender? That may use a little more data for all the email headers and such, but if that works, thats genius!! Thank you.

EDIT: I already had push enabled and this works exactly as I needed. It does use a little more data, but well worth the convenience. Certainly worth hitting the Thanks button.

Last edited by isdnmatt; 12-11-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdnmatt View Post
Wait, so if I forward my txts to email, I can respond to the email and it will be sent as a txt to the sender? That may use a little more data for all the email headers and such, but if that works, thats genius!! Thank you.

EDIT: I already had push enabled and this works exactly as I needed. It does use a little more data, but well worth the convenience. Certainly worth hitting the Thanks button.
Glad I could help. I've been using GV as my only number for quite some time now so I know just about every way to bend it to my will.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

kronik420 is just getting started

Sorry to beg but does anybody have an google voice invites that like to give out thank you

Last edited by kronik420; 12-11-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

gianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
Google will get around to releasing an official WM app for GV, eventually. Until then there are very few choices that are free, none of which let you use the texting features. There are a few paid apps but they aren't cheap... and aren't that impressive, especially for what they are charging.
I dont know if I would be so confident. With the approach of WM7 coming why make an app that will see limited life. Plus I feel Google is limiting software on other platforms in an effort to push people to android.

Possible but I would be surprised.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

mrenz999 is keeping up the good workmrenz999 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
Sorry to beg but does anybody have an google voice invites that like to give out thank you
I can help you. pm me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

quazimodem is keeping up the good workquazimodem is keeping up the good work

has anyone tried the google voice dialer app in marketplace? I wish it had a trial. it costs $4.99.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2