PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   what screen protector are you guys using? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5909)

litwick87 07-11-2007 07:34 PM

what screen protector are you guys using?

the one that comes with the mogul seems kinda thin and bad. which ones are you guys using?

wowthatisrandom 07-11-2007 07:43 PM

Re: what screen protector are you guys using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by litwick87
the one that comes with the mogul seems kinda thin and bad. which ones are you guys using?

i guess the one that seems bad ;-)

rstcso 07-11-2007 07:49 PM

I'm using one from Boxwave. They don't list the 6800, but the one for the Apache (6700) fits perfect. Kind of expensive, but worth it. It even comes with a special cleaning rag. I also bought one for my GPS unit.

stroths 07-11-2007 07:50 PM

Martin Fields on my 6800 and Boxwave antiglare on my wife's. I prefer mine though

R0YB0T 07-11-2007 09:44 PM

No screen protector and I put it in my pocket all the time without any protection.

eb3604 07-11-2007 10:25 PM

martin fields. just ordered one. got the one for the wing cuz its the same size. and using the case that came with it until i find a better one. pretty nice for a stock case. would have preferred a better pair of headphones though..

Cicatrize 07-11-2007 11:16 PM

I'm using "init" screen protector sheets from Best Buy. They're pretty nice, and have cutting lines on the paper so you can size it right. ;)

gameboy213 07-11-2007 11:30 PM

The one it came with... never used one before really and don't mind it. But I like the look of the screen better without of couse. Maybe because I put it on quickly and there are 2 little, little bubbles. Might just take it off and go sans protection like I did with my 6700 for 2 years. And 6600 for about 1.

R0YB0T 07-12-2007 12:42 AM

I was thinking about getting a screen protector, but I don't think its needed. I always make sure my stylus has no crap on it.

I have a DS Lite which I got when the Lite came out, I play a lot of stylus heavy games on it pretty recklessly, and it has no scratches on it.

So far I have been putting the mogul in my jeans pocket for a few days now, sharing the pocket with some chapstick. No scratches yet, just small lines that rub away.

mtclark26 07-12-2007 12:49 AM

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~un...ccessories.htm

They have one for the Mogul...It was thick and very easy to install.

Mike

B18DelSolT 07-12-2007 01:03 AM

www.shieldzone.com thats were i got my 6700's, lifetime garuntee, you get a scratch or anything they rplace it free of charge :)

Ohh yeah, forgot to mention that its only 13 bucks

litwick87 07-12-2007 01:33 AM

hmmm so im thinking either through PPC techs or invisible shield.

illusvfyre 07-12-2007 08:46 AM

I got one through Shieldzone. I forget which phone I ordered it for, but it has the same size screen as the 6800. Very easy to install. Nice and thick. I almost returned it because for the first day it made the screen real sticky, i.e. the stylus didn't move smoothly on the screen. But they say in the instructions it can take a day or two for the protector to set. Less than a day later and the stylus moves smoothly over the screen. I love this thing, especially seeing it has a lifetime warranty....Got it for 12 bucks, used my Sprint referal card to buy it.

CTSLICK 07-12-2007 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eb3604
martin fields. just ordered one. got the one for the wing cuz its the same size. and using the case that came with it until i find a better one. pretty nice for a stock case. would have preferred a better pair of headphones though..

Ahhhh...very good. I was wondering which one might be the same size since they dont list the 6800 on their site. I had a Martin Fields on my old X5. Loved the crystal clear look and the slick surface. Cant wait to get one for my 6800 :)

bitslizer 07-12-2007 09:43 AM

Boxwave Antiglare, I use my phone as my GPS Navi in the car and an anti glare is a must have for that function

biglee 07-12-2007 10:19 AM

Boxwave Antiglare. You can get them on Amazon for the 6800. I had them for my 6700 (forgot to take it off when it was sent back) and it worked for well over a year. They are a must if you use a Slingbox as it really makes the glare non-existant.

CTSLICK 07-12-2007 10:57 AM

bitslizer and biglee:

The last "anti-glare" protector I used really cut down on the clarity of the screen. I realize that's kind of a necessary evil for anti-glare but it was just too much for me. How is the Boxwave, do you lose much clarity? Have any pictures to compare them? Thanks!

stroths 07-12-2007 11:09 AM

I don't have pictures to compare, but I do have a boxwave antiglare crystal on my wife's and a Martin Fields on mine. The picture is not as clear with the boxwave, but its not too bad. I knew that she would need it more outdoors, so I made the comprimise on hers. It would irritate me as I like the clear glassy look and smooth surface of the Martin Fields. The antiglare aren't as bad as they were in the past though.

letsgoflyers81 07-12-2007 12:01 PM

I got the Boxwave anti-glare. You can tell it's there, but it looks pretty good. We just haven't had any sunny days lately so I can see how well it works. I agree the one the Mogul came with was just awful.

bitslizer 07-12-2007 12:37 PM

well you can tell its there, but i also like the textured service for stylus use and also its finger print free!(unless you have very very oily finger)

best way i can describe it would be, when without the screen protector, turn on "clear type", that's sorta how things look with the antiglare on, although not quite that bad.

litwick87 07-14-2007 01:51 PM

im going to order teh invisible shield one. which one should i get? the mogul isnt listed on there. the HTC TyTN is though. is that the same?

eb3604 07-14-2007 02:13 PM

tmobile wing.

just got my martin fields in. much better than the vinylish bse or invisible shield.

litwick87 07-14-2007 03:14 PM

damn, i hate making decisions. i guess ill get the martin one then

groovadelickun 07-14-2007 03:22 PM

Boxwave anti-glare. I use the 6800 in the car alot, to ease the pain of the daily commute ;)

JackG058 07-16-2007 09:55 PM

Invisible Shield

For those wanting to order specifically for the HTC Mogul PPC 6800, don't use the drop down menu as it's not listed there. Rather, select the picture of the smart phone from the top menu bar, and then page through the many more listed devices until you arrive at the PPC 6800. Oh, they are only $11.95 with free shipping! I've never used them, so I am going off of the recommendations of the experts on this forum.

aughsum 07-17-2007 07:38 AM

raw.

no screen protector for a year with my 6700, stored in my pocket, id imagine I won't have any scratches with this one either.. makes it look too dirty (around the edges)

msisaac 07-17-2007 08:42 AM

NuShield

I don't have the NuShield on my 6800 yet (just got the Mogul the other day), but I used to have it on some of my other PDAs and I loved them. They don't stick on the screen like other protectors so there are never any bubbles to get rid of. The protector is completely clear and glossy and is held in place by the bezel around the screen. The protector is just a little bigger than the visible area of the screen, so it gets tucked under the bezel.

That's what I love about them. Better edge-to-edge protection than any other protector I've ever used. You get 3 protectors for $11.99 (buy the Audiovox 6700 protector...). Although, I know when I used to have them on my other PDAs, I never needed more than one, so I'm not sure why they include 3.

Very tough and crystal clear. Just do a google search for Nushield. In fact, I think I'll go ahead and order now!

Cicatrize 07-17-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aughsum
raw.

no screen protector for a year with my 6700, stored in my pocket, id imagine I won't have any scratches with this one either.. makes it look too dirty (around the edges)

No scratches at all on your 6700? That's weird. The top screen in so flimsy and soft that I would imagine the lightest touch could scratch it. I've had a lot of phones, and I always get the "pocket wear" scratches at the very least, and usually a few "other" scratches to go along with those.

mnksauce 07-18-2007 02:49 PM

anyone know of another phone that has the same screen dimensions as the mogul? the wing protectors from martin fields are out of stock and i don't want to buy two of em :p

stroths 07-18-2007 03:02 PM

Many of the HTC phones have the same 2.8" diagonal screen. The 6700 and I believe the 8525.

eb3604 07-18-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnksauce
anyone know of another phone that has the same screen dimensions as the mogul? the wing protectors from martin fields are out of stock and i don't want to buy two of em :p

absolutelyu.com has martin fields in stock. i have a 10% off code

Shiva 07-18-2007 06:02 PM

Can you share the code? (assuming it's not a one-time use)

Shiva 07-18-2007 06:08 PM

Nevermind, I found one. The code is 'cardme'.

papped 07-18-2007 07:01 PM

What i'd really like is a skin for the thing so that it doesnt scratch/crack when i drop it and can be worn while fully opening/closing the device.

The stock leather case is worthless for drops as 90% of the time it lands on a corner...

draghn 07-18-2007 08:07 PM

They have "bras" or jackets you can use. I know martinfields makes jackets, and I've seen a vendor on ebay that does as well, though i can't recall what it was called. I believe there is a thread in these forums that mentions the jackets that can be used for the Mogul.

litwick87 07-18-2007 09:22 PM

i installed my martin today, it works great. takes time to get used to ithink because its think and slippery

papped 07-19-2007 01:52 PM

Still have not seen a full body case for the 6800 anywhere, that actually lets you use the device fully while the case is on (silicone or something like that).

meburton 07-22-2007 12:33 AM

What I did was take the thin plastic case that my bluetooth earpiece came in and I cut off the front. Then I took a paper-cutter and cut out a rectangle just a hair bigger than my screen.

Then, I cleaned my Mogul screen and popped that bad boy on. It fits on perfectly by sliding it in the seams of the screen. No air-bubbles at all, ever. And best of all, it's free.

I would imagine you could use other plastic molded packages, as long as it's thin enough.

Shaska 07-22-2007 05:17 AM

If your looking for a cheap, But effective screen protector, BestBuy (and most electronics retailers) carries a 10 pack of DIY protectors by "fellowes" *spelling*. Anyways, I cut a few down for my 6700 and the screen is still mint... Although the protectors need to be switched out once every few months due to scratches from the stylus. But at $17 for a pack. I can handle swapping them often...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1127210996648

I wouldn't mind getting a hig-er end screen protector though... Perhaps one that is more resistant to scratches from styli.

willysp 07-22-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaska
If your looking for a cheap, But effective screen protector, BestBuy (and most electronics retailers) carries a 10 pack of DIY protectors by "fellowes" *spelling*. Anyways, I cut a few down for my 6700 and the screen is still mint... Although the protectors need to be switched out once every few months due to scratches from the stylus. But at $17 for a pack. I can handle swapping them often...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1127210996648

I wouldn't mind getting a hig-er end screen protector though... Perhaps one that is more resistant to scratches from styli.

I tried some of the Fellowes protectors on my 6700. But, they scratched noticeably quite quickly, and I was always afraid they'd damage the screen when pulling off due to the adhesive.

I ended up with a Pocket PC Tech Write Shield anti-glare on my 6700 that still looked like new when I retired the 6700 18 months later. Got 2 for $20-something (an outrageous price), but had one left for my 6800.

So, in my case, the ridiculously expensive ones were probably actually cheaper in the long run than the cheap ones.