PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 12:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible/Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

BetaMan is keeping up the good workBetaMan is keeping up the good workBetaMan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Question...wifirouter or Pdanet

I used it yesterday and it saved my behind! (WMWifiRouter, that is). It really is a good choice! I've installed it about 9 times myself due to flashing my ROM every time a "better" ROM comes along...

Verizon Droid Incredible => Touch Pro 2 => XV6800 => XV6700 => XV6600
Old 02-19-2009, 02:35 PM
N00b

msisaac is a n00b

I prefer WMWifirouter myself due to it's no-hassle setup. Here are my pros and cons:

WMWifirouter pros:
1. Easy as hell to setup and run.
2. No client software has to be installed on your laptop or other device.
3. Offers WEP protection
4. Newer versions offer choice of sharing internet over wifi, bluetooth, and USB.

WMWifirouter cons:
1. $30 USD! This app is worth $10, maybe $15, but not $30. Try and find version .91, which is the last version that was freeware.
2. If you do use version .91, there is no WEP.
3. Very nasty uninstalls. I can't even uninstall .91. I have to completely reset my phone with a backup in order to get rid of older WMWifiRouter versions. The newer versions are slightly better about uninstalling.

For alternatives, you can check out WalkingHotSpot, which accomplishes the same thing as WMWifirouter and costs about $5 less for the "lifetime subscription". You can also check out ICS Control, which is a fairly ugly GUI frontend for Internet Connection Sharing. It's completely free and can be found over on xda-developers.com. It's ugly, but if you figure it out, it provides all the same functionality as WMWifirouter and even some extra features.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
N00b

msisaac is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by msisaac View Post
For alternatives, you can check out WalkingHotSpot, which accomplishes the same thing as WMWifirouter and costs about $5 less for the "lifetime subscription".
I just did a bit of fact-checking on my previous post. According to the WalkingHotSpot web site, the "lifetime subscription" is for the life of your "registered phone". Now, I don't know if that means you have to pay again every time you get a new phone, or if you can unregister your old phone and register your new phone. It's possible that you can continue to use the app as long as you only have one phone registered at a time on their system. But that is something to keep in mind if you're planning on buying the software.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan