PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Is it possible to remove factory junk on the 6800?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5113)

AYSIANA 06-19-2007 02:11 PM

Is it possible to remove factory junk on the 6800??

Just got my 6800, havent even turned it on yet. Just wondering about the junk programs. I know on the 6700 you could soft reset just before device customization in order to prevent all the junk from being installed, then install the necessary cab files manually. (Or you could re-run the cab files of the stuff you wanted to remove after the customizations had already taken place, then go into remove programs to remove them.)
Anyways, just wondering if this is also possible on the 6800 and if so, if anyone knows which cab files are necessary and which are junk?

colonel 06-19-2007 02:24 PM

Just give it time kiddo. We are probably gonna need to find out which cabs are there first. So, fire it up, unhide the extrom and dump the cabs.

AYSIANA 06-19-2007 02:35 PM

Ok, I know how to use total commander to get to the cab's in the ext rom, but i dont know how to "dump" them. If someone can tell me how, Ill gladly do it! :wink:

colonel 06-19-2007 02:53 PM

Select them with total commander and copy to the SD. Then upload them for us to look at.

AYSIANA 06-19-2007 03:18 PM

Ok I know how to do all that, doing it now....but Ive never uploaded to this site before, tell me how please :wink:

colonel 06-19-2007 03:30 PM

Well, you can zip it up and try to attach it here or you can PM to me or you can try to upload to the ftp

Wideawake 06-19-2007 08:57 PM

did these get sent? If so someone please upload.
Thanks,
Mike

AYSIANA 06-20-2007 10:11 AM

Ok Ive got them all dumped onto my card...now I just need to get them on her. I know I cant get onto ftp from work. Can I email them to someone who can?

colonel 06-20-2007 10:54 AM

colonel0000 [at] gmail [dot] com

EDIT by Pibe38: Don't want you getting spammed colonel (webcrawlers, spambots, etc.), I edited your e-mail, hope you don't mind :wink:

evilecho 06-20-2007 02:36 PM

heres the config file:

Code:

LOCK:Enabled
CPY1:\Extended_ROM\AddContact
CPY2:\Windows\AddContact
EXEC:\Windows\RUN_SPRINT_TSK.lnk
EXEC:\Extended_ROM\AddContacts.exe
CAB: \Extended_ROM\GetGL.CAB
CAB: \Windows\AudibleAir_SprintPPC.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\GroveMobile_pulgIn.sa.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\MP_CVSDcpl_20070129.cab
CAB: \Extended_ROM\DefaultRingtone.sa.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\AudioPara0330.sa.CAB
CAB: \Windows\ondemand_6800_boot.arm.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\MoveLnk.sa.CAB
EXEC:\Windows\ChgScutAttri.exe
LOCK:Disabled
RST: Reset

wowthatisrandom 06-20-2007 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilecho
heres the config file:

Code:

well i assume at least...

can be removed ill leave the rest up to colonel

tell me if i wrong :-) i wont have mine till tomorrow or monday

colonel 06-20-2007 02:54 PM

Ineteresting that some of the cabs are in the rom. Anyway, as soon as we get the cabs uploaded we will know for sure.

evilecho 06-20-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel
Ineteresting that some of the cabs are in the rom. Anyway, as soon as we get the cabs uploaded we will know for sure.

i uploaded the cabs files to the ftp

Pibe38 06-20-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel

Yeah, the first time your turn the device on it's actually standard WM, but a customization script starts running that installs all the CABs, changes the Today theme with the Sprint one, etc. Bascially it does the Sprint customization in front of you.

Also, out of all those CABs, there's one of the Audible apps that can be uninstalled from Remove Programs, all the other ones do not appear.

colonel 06-20-2007 03:56 PM

Hmm, looks like all of the cabs in the ExtRom can be thrown out. I will be more detailed later, but they all do minimal things.

Can someone try to extract the cabs from the rom itself? You may need to stop the customizations after a hard reset and extract the cabs before they run.

chiromikey 06-21-2007 01:07 AM

so can we just interupt the boot after a hard reset and prevent sprints entire extended rom to install without any obvious side effects?

wowthatisrandom 06-21-2007 11:16 AM

ya got mine today would like to be able to remove all this crap colonel help!

wowthatisrandom 06-21-2007 01:46 PM

so i interupted it with a soft reset... and nothing install yay!... now i would love to make a custom rom any help would be great... how do i unlock the extended_rom folder so i can see it thru my PC?

colonel 06-21-2007 02:25 PM

Well, has anyone tried to unlock and unhide the ExtRom? Also, has anyone been able to copy out the cabs that are actually in the rom?

couldnt find the thread here, but here are the reg entries from the Apache

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inane/758

veronicamays 06-21-2007 04:02 PM

Trying to unlock the extended rom now, will let you know how it goes.

Edit: Didn't work for me

colonel 06-21-2007 04:08 PM

Could you unhide with the reg entries?

Paul_Hammons 06-21-2007 04:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I received my Mogul a few hours ago, haven't even activated it yet..... first things first.... ;)

I created this extended rom unlocker and unhider for myself and you all.

Here ya go. Unzip this .zip file, copy over the titan_extrom_tools.cab, run the .cab on your phone. It will install to "Program Files/ExtRom_Tools". Go to this directory using file explorer. Double click on the "titan_extrom_tools.cab" You should get a "success" popup. Soft reset.

"Extended_ROM" should now be showing as a "Flash Drive" in file explorer and is visible from your activesynced connected PC.

One note, the mogul is protesting everytime I delete or add a file to the ext rom, saying this is write protected, just hit ok or skip. Browse out of the directory and come back in to see your changes. (forces a refresh of the directory) If you do not change directories, it will look like nothing changed, but it did change and just didn't refresh. Copies from my PC directly into ext rom are showing up immediately, however.

Hope this helps to start some customizations.
-Paul

colonel 06-21-2007 04:14 PM

Very nice work. /me needs to get a Mogul

Out of curiosity, how did you know this info and what function does the unlock app actually perform to let the "drive" be writable?

grimloch 06-21-2007 04:37 PM

If the default config.txt looks like this... :

... what should it look like if I only want the essential cabs/exe's installed? I don't really care about unlocking the extrom for the extra space... just want the junk out. TIA

wowthatisrandom 06-21-2007 04:57 PM

sure enough unlocked mine... now i just gotta remove all the garbage...

cant remove them tho whenever i try it says no lol... i click yes and it doesnt do nething i browsed out and back in and everythign just cant get it to do nething

i dont know if this was like this b4 bc i had a treo but another thing i noticed was now when i go to install cabs it adds extended rom as an option to install too.... i wonder what that does

badwolf 06-25-2007 12:07 PM

update? thow everything out?

colonel 06-25-2007 03:47 PM

As far as I can tell from the cabs, just kill them all. I finally got into a Titan rom and looked at the two cabs that are built into the rom and they just add junk too. So far, I have not heard anythign from anyone that does not install the cabs as far as issues with funcionality.

wowthatisrandom 06-25-2007 04:04 PM

i still cant get it unlocked i can see it but whenever i ty to add or remove something it tells me no

grimloch 06-25-2007 04:46 PM

forgive my ignorance, but what should the config.txt look like if we don't want it to install anything? i posted what it currently looks like above. and no, i don't even need the extra contacts added. thx

meburton 06-25-2007 05:14 PM

Same thing here. I can see the extended_rom, but I can't edit it. And I've verified that it's not a refresh issue. :(

badwolf 06-25-2007 05:38 PM

me three cant unlock. tried apache cab too...

atsitalian 06-26-2007 01:37 PM

I did the soft reset before the ext rom loaded when I got the phone last Tuesday (6/19) and have not noticed any issues/problems

havieri23 07-04-2007 10:03 AM

i have sprint 6800.. what junk is safe to remove. All i want to keep is the essentials

havieri23 07-09-2007 03:55 PM

i'm in the flash ext_rom drive. am i suppose to delete stuff in the config.txt or just delete the cabs i don't want?

SuPreme1 07-16-2007 10:58 AM

i cant remove anything because after a soft reset it comes back

willysp 07-16-2007 12:02 PM

MP_CVSDcpl_20070129.cab installs voicetagcpl.cpl in \windows.

It's a control panel applet in Settings-Personal that manages Cyberon Voice Speed Dial settings.

That appears to be a (the only?) non-junk item you lose if you soft reset before Sprint customizations.

However, I was able to extract the .cpl from the .cab using Win CE Cab Manager and move it manually to \windows. Seems to work OK, but I didn't test thoroughly yet.

jaak 07-16-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysp
That appears to be a (the only?) non-junk item you lose if you soft reset before Sprint customizations.

How about AudioPara0330.sa.CAB? That seems to be a bunch of audio parameters (audio profiles?)?

Pibe38 07-16-2007 08:24 PM

I extracted the CPL file into the Windows directory, soft reset, and it worked like a charm.

Anyone know about the CAB posted above and the audio parameters? Is this something we should also be installing?

faiz23 07-17-2007 12:21 PM

where would i find the cab MP_CVSDcpl_20070129.cab, i am trying to get the software for the voice dial installed i can't find the cpl file on the internet to download. i do not know how to access the ext rom i just soft reset before customization.

willysp 07-17-2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faiz23
where would i find the cab MP_CVSDcpl_20070129.cab, i am trying to get the software for the voice dial installed i can't find the cpl file on the internet to download. i do not know how to access the ext rom i just soft reset before customization.

I uploaded it to the FTP in folder Titan/Voice Speed Dial cpl applet

ftp://ppcgeeks@up.ppcgeeks.com/Titan...oicetagcpl.cpl

NOTE: Not sure why the url doesn't work properly above; did it the same way as I've always done it. Anyway - you can see where it is.

BTW, all the Ext Rom files are in another folder if you want to extract the cpl from the cab yourself.