PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Is it possible to remove factory junk on the 6800?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5113)

dew.man 07-17-2007 01:04 PM

FWIW, I interrupted the customization with a soft reset, and have run the phone in "stock" trim for about a week with now with no issues.

willysp 07-17-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dew.man
FWIW, I interrupted the customization with a soft reset, and have run the phone in "stock" trim for about a week with now with no issues.

Likewise - I ran it a few days, then added the Voice Dial app (which I haven't yet used). So, agreed - stopping all Sprint customizations will work just fine.

It appears there are 2 minor non-junk items in the Sprint customizations:
- Voice dial applet (and if you don't use voice dial, you don't need this)
- Audio profiles (not sure how they differ from stock HTC). I'll run my Titan a few more days, then load this one and see if I notice any changes.

I look forward to a Titan kitchen so I can strip out the junk that's baked into the ROM itself (not the ExtROM).

badwolf 07-17-2007 05:07 PM

update. did the rom upgrade did the soft reset. did only the audio cab and removed hc cm guardian from the start up folder. so far so good...

jtrag 07-17-2007 08:22 PM

I didn't install any of the Sprint junk and my phone is working fine. I also noticed there is a lot more free ROM and a little more free RAM by skipping the Sprint customization.

Shiva 07-18-2007 09:47 PM

How is the voice dial CPL different from the shortcut in the Programs folder?

Pibe38 07-18-2007 09:58 PM

The CPL is for the settings, I was not able to set any voice tags until I added the CPL file.

Shiva 07-18-2007 11:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is the Sprint-customised .CSV Audio Parameter file. Don't know how different it is from the stock one.

It goes in the \Windows directory (replaces the one there).

infam0uskills 07-22-2007 12:15 PM

what does the audiopara do?

Pibe38 07-22-2007 11:29 PM

It's right there on the description of the file on the post above yours...

"Description: Audio Parameter file from the Sprint ROM. Unzip and put in \Windows."

Mach30SiR 07-24-2007 09:03 PM

This is my first post, and i've been reading through the 6800 wiki guide and FAQ's and came across this.

Aside from soft resetting during the start up, has anyone been able to get rid of the sprint junk. My Mogul came activated out of the box so i dont have that luxury of haulting the install with out reinstalling the latest ROM. btw - i'm a total rook at this phone stuff.

willysp 07-24-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR
This is my first post, and i've been reading through the 6800 wiki guide and FAQ's and came across this.

Aside from soft resetting during the start up, has anyone been able to get rid of the sprint junk. My Mogul came activated out of the box so i dont have that luxury of haulting the install with out reinstalling the latest ROM. btw - i'm a total rook at this phone stuff.

BACKUP CONTACTS etc.!!

If you already have new ROM:

Settings - System - Clear Storage - Enter '1234' - Click 'Yes'

Let it boot, calibrate screen, enter timezone, etc.

When you see a white box saying it will customize - then soft reset.

If you have old ROM, install the new ROM.

Neither will affect your activation.

Mach30SiR 07-25-2007 07:26 AM

^^^^

Thanks a ton!!!!! i think even i can figure this out.

Sounds like people were adding a few of the sprint items though.

voicetagcpl.cpl and the Sprint-customised .CSV Audio Parameter file

Is this correct?

willysp 07-25-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR
^^^^

Thanks a ton!!!!! i think even i can figure this out.

Sounds like people were adding a few of the sprint items though.

voicetagcpl.cpl and the Sprint-customised .CSV Audio Parameter file

Is this correct?

Yes - that's correct.

The .cpl for sure.

I haven't done the .csv myself yet. That file in the new ROM has a more recent date than the file in the extROM, which may or may not mean anything. I plan to compare them this weekend. I haven't yet seen a description of what the file does - besides the obvious 'changes audio parameters'.

JBabey 07-27-2007 03:43 AM

still no way to get rid of the crap in there completely huh? i would like to do what i did with my 6700 pre-kitchen and make my own config.txt and have it install all my cab files... well the one huge ass cab file i made w/ all my junk, but ya.

the unlock reads "Success" and is quite the "UN-Success"

grrrrrrrrrrr

/me patiently awaits an update... till then rocking my badasss 6700 as my primary

willysp 07-27-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBabey
still no way to get rid of the crap in there completely huh? i would like to do what i did with my 6700 pre-kitchen and make my own config.txt and have it install all my cab files... well the one huge a$$ cab file i made w/ all my junk, but ya.

the unlock reads "Success" and is quite the "UN-Success"

grrrrrrrrrrr

/me patiently awaits an update... till then rocking my badasss 6700 as my primary

Correct - no unlocker yet.

And some of the junkware is in the 6800 ROM, unlike the 6700 where it's all in extROM. So will need a kitchen to fully remove the junkware.

papped 07-27-2007 04:34 PM

I did the soft reset to bypass the Sprint customization and now Office Mobile doesn't show up on the phone at all.

Any idea how to fix this?

wmdunn 07-27-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papped
I did the soft reset to bypass the Sprint customization and now Office Mobile doesn't show up on the phone at all.

Any idea how to fix this?

I did the soft reset as well, and Office Mobile still shows in my start menu. Perhaps it's something else that's causing your issue . . .

papped 07-28-2007 03:31 AM

Nm, I figured it out...

ScandaLex 07-28-2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Nm, I figured it out...

Care to share? It'd be nice for others having the same problem.

Mr Mogool 07-28-2007 04:17 PM

Forgive my ignorance

I am not so wise in the wise of de-junking ROM's, so forgive my ignorance in advance.

BUT...if I've already customized my Mogul, can I still remove the cab's without losing everything or do I HAVE to blow everything away?

Thanks!

willysp 07-28-2007 05:01 PM

Re: Forgive my ignorance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mogool
I am not so wise in the wise of de-junking ROM's, so forgive my ignorance in advance.

BUT...if I've already customized my Mogul, can I still remove the cab's without losing everything or do I HAVE to blow everything away?

Thanks!

You have to hard reset and start over. But, unless you're low on storage memory (unlikely of course), or have a specific issue with the junkware, there's really nothing to be gained by doing it now. Consider waiting until the next ROM upgrade is released and doing it then.

papped 07-29-2007 02:06 AM

It wasn't really an issue. The office mobile was added to the start menu without me remembering that I changed it.

So it naturally did not show up in Programs.

stixx 07-30-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiva
This is the Sprint-customised .CSV Audio Parameter file. Don't know how different it is from the stock one.

OK - this is definitely a newbie question, but when I try to copy the file to my windows directory, I get a message that that file is in use and cannot be overwritten. What am I doing wrong?

willysp 07-30-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stixx
Quote:

OK - this is definitely a newbie question, but when I try to copy the file to my windows directory, I get a message that that file is in use and cannot be overwritten. What am I doing wrong?

Haven't seen that. I only got the standard "file is ROM, overwrite?"

Try soft reset. Make sure nothing is running when you try to overwrite.

stixx 07-31-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysp
Quote:

Originally Posted by stixx
Quote:

Haven't seen that. I only got the standard "file is ROM, overwrite?"

Try soft reset. Make sure nothing is running when you try to overwrite.

Still no luck - hmmmmmm

mad2fly 07-31-2007 01:04 PM

This is a little off topic but I've been wondering if the alarm failure when plugged in and screen off issue is related to "Sprint junk". Has anyone that has bypassed the "Sprint junk" loading noticed a change in the alarm issue?

dmercurio1 08-03-2007 02:58 PM

I have the extended_rom in my directory in Resco Explorer and the option to format the drive is there if i do this will it clear the junk?

kevxross 08-03-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know what this does yet? Is it worth overwriting the other one?

willysp 08-03-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmercurio1
I have the extended_rom in my directory in Resco Explorer and the option to format the drive is there if i do this will it clear the junk?

Unlikely since there's no unlocker for the ROM yet. Try it.

msisaac 08-09-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad2fly
This is a little off topic but I've been wondering if the alarm failure when plugged in and screen off issue is related to "Sprint junk". Has anyone that has bypassed the "Sprint junk" loading noticed a change in the alarm issue?

I bypassed the Sprint customizations. The alarm on my phone won't trigger while the phone is plugged in to the USB on my computer and the phone is turned off. As soon as I turn the phone on, the alarm will go off.

ImGreen 08-11-2007 02:19 PM

Same here regarding the alarm not going off when plugged into USB power wall adapter or connected to PC.

papped 08-11-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevxross
Quote:

It sets the values for how loud the speaker is (for each volume setting). The Sprint one is slightly louder than the stock one.

However, the Sprint one is still not that great. So i recommend using the coarse setting one in the thread on this board to increase the speaker volume.

Mach30SiR 08-11-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevxross
Quote:

It sets the values for how loud the speaker is (for each volume setting). The Sprint one is slightly louder than the stock one.

However, the Sprint one is still not that great. So i recommend using the coarse setting one in the thread on this board to increase the speaker volume.

I have that file, but it wont let me over write the one thats in the Windows folder, saying its write protected or in use.....whats the work around for that?

rockdamic 08-12-2007 12:31 PM

Bumping. Has anyone figured out how to unlock the ROM? Can only read here.

rockdamic 08-12-2007 12:35 PM

Why is this thread not made Sticky ?

k000 09-12-2007 08:26 AM

I jut got my Mogul yesterday. Looking at the thread it does not seem that the junk has been successfully removed by anyone. Is that right ?

Yay 4 Juggs 09-12-2007 11:02 AM

a hard reset along with a soft reset at the 3 second window will eliminate the "junk" you just wont be able to use the extended rom

flipperg 09-14-2007 10:58 AM

Has anybody figured out what Sprint App to Install to fix the alarm off when powered?

I'm guessing that's the trick, right? I just don't know which one.

Thanks,

Flipper

Darkness231 09-14-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipperg (Post 87349)
Has anybody figured out what Sprint App to Install to fix the alarm off when powered?

I'm guessing that's the trick, right? I just don't know which one.

Thanks,

Flipper

I'm assuming that you mean that the alarm doesn't go off when charging.
The only fix that I know of was suggested by someone else on this forum and is to adjust the power setting so that you backlight goes out but the device does not go into stby when the phone is plugged in.

xclusiv_1 11-17-2007 08:46 AM

any other options for removing junkware?