PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 03:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

woody88 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
would gps work theoretically via wifi?

hello all,

I am traveling on vacation in Taiwan, and most of Taiwan from what I know is on GSM, versus the Sprint CDMA in the States. So most of the time, I just have my Mogul in flight mode, and when I need to use it to check mail or surf and whatnot, I would turn on my wi-fi and I am good to go.

I thought that as long as there is some kind of data connection, the GPS function should work. But i have yet to gotten to work with either google maps or live search. And I am sorry for the noob question, can someone let me know if there is any way shape or form to make GPS work at a foreign country, or is that not possible at all? Thanks in advance for all replies.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:44 PM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP
Re: would gps work theoretically via wifi?

Hmmm, you've been around here longer than me, I would think you would know this. Also, please use the SEARCH feature as it will save you time and someone else a headache from having to reply to a well knwon question.

Anyhow, I will tell the answer to that question...

GPS will work via WiFi but you will have to use standalone GPS as it can use aGPS without an active data connection via the phone Radio. It can take several
seconds to a minuate to get a lock though.

You could turn on GPS in the States then leave it running with BAF GPS Toggle, then turn on flight mode and GPS will stay on until you turn it off.

So, in short yes it is posible, and please use the SEARCH feature next time to see if something like t his has already been answered.

Have a nice day

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you out, and you want to send some love my way... it's appreciated but not required.

Last edited by PDAPhoneJunkie; 12-23-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Rmember that GPS comes from Sats in the sky for no data needed for that but to get the maps you will need it and I think that is what you are trying to do. If you use google maps or something similiar then yes, wifi will work to pull those maps for you.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:26 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Blackberry Storm
Carrier: T-Mobile

seraphazaziel79 is a n00b

This will only work if the wifi positioning system is implemented in the GPS chip. As for now you are dealing with a phone that has 2 systems that work separately so the current answer is no it will not work. For the record that type of technology was considered for satelite dishes but currently not for mobile phone applications.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

He has access via GPS radio to the sats in the sky but needs WiFi to pull his maps. He can do that just fine because I used to do it that way. You can even use the GPS with the device in Flight mode.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan