PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 10:52 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

nolo25 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
need a specific program can u help me

hello I need a program that converts exe. files to cab or any file that can be switched from exe. that can work on the mogul. that would be really coo if its possible or someone knows bout a program or is willing to build program and we just make donations to it for time and effort cause im pretty sure others would like that program. thanx in advance.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Lurker

agosset is a n00b
Re: need a specific program can u help me

This page looks very interesting, I don't know if it will help you with a particular file, but I have successfully used to convert other file types. I do see that they have cab files as an option.

http://www.zamzar.com/

Try it and let us know it it works for you!

Last edited by agosset; 10-19-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: RAPH800 Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

namopereht is just getting started
Re: need a specific program can u help me

Short answer: Not really possible

Long answer:

Kind of a hard thing to do. exe files can be many different things. Generally, if you are speaking of installer files for ppc applications that you would run on a PC and install to your PPC via activesync, an exe file is a packaged installer with the cab file (usually encrypted) contained inside. Pulling the cab file out of the installer exe can be done, but usually involves reverse compiling the installer. This is a particularly daunting task if it is an encrypted or locked installer. If you are looking to get the cab file from the installer it is easier to look for the cab on your computer while activesync is installing the file to your PPC. Look in your "/Program Files/Activesync" directory, or possibly somewhere in your "~/Application Data" directory on your PC for the cab file. Might also hide in a temp folder somewhere on your system. If you can find a file system monitor or a 3rd party uninstall utility you can track the changes when the installer runs, then just look at the log and find out where it hid the cab. I have even seen some installers refuse to run unless you have your PPC currently hooked up to usb. Somehow the cab file has to get to your PPC, and may be hidden in your PPC temp directory. In this case you will have to work quickly with file explorer on your PPC, as the installer will delete the file as soon as it is installed.

As to something to make the exe file run on the ppc and install it... Not really possible as far as I can see. Windows and Windows mobile run entirely different kernels. Converting a binary file (exe) from Windows to Windows mobile would again require reverse compiling the installer (unless you happen to have the source code) and changing the way it handles the archives contained within the installer. Not really something I would want to do on a 400mhz processor. Even if someone created the program to do such, it could take hours if not days to reverse and extract.

Hope this helps you a bit. I may have simplified this a bit, but those are the basics.

namopereht

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan