PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: VPN-VNC...Connect to home network on the go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAz View Post
I think this is the answer I'm looking for. Will this be secure from outside my personal network. I haven't connected to any of my machines from outside my network yet, not certain if that's possible with the current configuration I have...will see I guess.
Its only as secure as any other app. You would need to open a firewall port to let it connect in to a specific machine. Thats the only security risk I see and that has to happen for pretty much any remote app software at this level of communication.

The only other security risk would be the lack of encryption when sending your data across the net. Remote desktop does indeed do that but with VNC you would have to install an encryption driver. IMHO just too much crap to do to stop someone from looking at screen shots of what I am doing with remote desktop. Plus what are the odds someone is trying to monitor you at that level? Not realistic. Computer security is just way over hyped. AntiVirus vendors are to thank for that. Sorry for the rant...

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to help.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel
Threadstarter

DaveAz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
Its only as secure as any other app. You would need to open a firewall port to let it connect in to a specific machine. Thats the only security risk I see and that has to happen for pretty much any remote app software at this level of communication.

The only other security risk would be the lack of encryption when sending your data across the net. Remote desktop does indeed do that but with VNC you would have to install an encryption driver. IMHO just too much crap to do to stop someone from looking at screen shots of what I am doing with remote desktop. Plus what are the odds someone is trying to monitor you at that level? Not realistic. Computer security is just way over hyped. AntiVirus vendors are to thank for that. Sorry for the rant...

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to help.

Well...because I'm behind a Cox cable modem, it appears I'm limited in what I can do. I went the LogMeIn route...I think the only way to connect to a machine from outside my network, it with something like vnc, LogMeIn and whatnot. Can't VPN without being commercial account, and paying like $75 a month (just a short search told me this...could be wrong).

LogMeIn worked like a champ, just was a little worried about security. Also haven't checked about moving files back and forth. Will check tomorrow.

BTW...using LogMeIn was SUPER simple. Just log in to LogMeIn, install it on machine you want to connect to, then do the same with the Titan. It will recognize that it's windowz mobile, and install it wiz-bang.

Still would like to figure out the whole VPN into my network that's bhind a Cox cable modem, or a work-around. Or something...not sure I'm explaining this right.

But thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:35 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

So you want encryption? Try Hamachi? I'm not sure if there is a WM client.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan