PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   The Best "Real" GPS Navigation Software (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=26476)

Richard Ward 05-13-2008 07:12 PM

The Best "Real" GPS Navigation Software

First of all, let me begin saying "Thanks" to all the hard working geeks out there who've made things like GPS Unlock, WM 6.1, etc. available for our HTC 6800's. I wouldn't be posting this if it weren't for you guys.

My question is simple: What's the best of the best for GPS software on our PPC's? I'm using Google Maps and while I can now find Dunkin' Doughnuts without first knowing what street I'm on is great, but now I'm looking for more 3D arrow-navigating GPS we've come to love on our car models.

I've been playing around with a friend's somewhat aged TomTom 6 which includes the "latest" maps from what I believe is last year. It looks promising, but what good cost-effective applications are there that don't cost $100+ and give you that "real" GPS feel with voice prompts, etc.?

I know $100 is well worth decent GPS software for some, but for people like me, $100 will score me a full windshield-mount car unit that'll let my phone be a phone.

Thanks in advance!

Nickles 05-14-2008 01:42 AM

Re: The Best "Real" GPS Navigation Software

I have TomTom6, GarminXT, iGuidance4, iGo2006 and iGoi8 all on my device, all working.. i always seem to drift to iGo2006.
reason is -> great looking 3d mapping. REAL TIME ON SCREEN POI. POI's simply appear on your map route, and a simple click brings up a tiny window with the name and number of the POI all without ever going off route- and you can dial that number right then and there on screen...
that is a simple feature that is SORELY lacking in the others, even in iGo's latest release - iGo8.:scratch:
I think TomTom is the worst.. crazy to operate, and just plain ugly.

iGuidance and iGo8 are the only 2 that have real TTS capability (where the voice actually announces the street names).. i WOULD be using iGo8 exclusively, but it's an absolute memory pig, and it crashed time and time again, when in 3D mode with TTS voice turned on... shame ....... i think they need another build to perfect that .. (it's only been released a couple weeks)..
iGuidance was my app of choice, until i saw iGo2006.. i just really like the usability, and graphics .. also a big plus with iGo, unlike that of TomTom, Garmin OR iGuidance, is you are free to only load the maps you wish to use.. meaning, you can get away with a complete GPS solution for your state for around 40MB or so.. better than a 1.2GB real estate with the others..
Granted, you can't map from AZ to PA, if you don't have the states in between right ?
well kind of - iGo has a 'Major US Roads and Highways' map, that you can load up, to do all the connecting navigation between all the states.

i highly recommend iGo2006.. of course if your like me and have a severe obsession and OCD with GPS you won't be able to stop until you've tried them all.
my next mission was actually Destinator v7, but i couldn't find any US maps.. so i gave up.............for now......:twisted:

Journeyjeans 05-14-2008 06:21 AM

Thanks for the run through Nick! I have iGuidance right now, and I have the one click launch set up, and so that's cool and all...but I find it buggy in one way. As soo as the voice comes on, it glitches. Like, the speaker will pop, and then the voice will speak, or it'll happen at the same time. Plus, the menu system is not pretty at all. I LOVE the TTS, which is what I got it for, and the glitch I've gotten used to. It's not so bad, but...

Basically, I was looking for another solution, so I got Garmin XT. Now, this is a pretty menu system! Simple, straight forward and visually appealing. I miss the TTS, but seriously, it's not a delbreaker...until you mentioned iGo8!

I was thinking of trying iGo because it looked pretty too (hell, what can I say, I appreciate the asthetics, lol), but didn't feel like loading up my card with Yet Another GPS map (it's 4GB, but still). But now I see I can get single maps? Hmm, guess I'll try for that and the TTS. Awesome breakdown again, thanks!

~Journey

roninr6 05-14-2008 08:25 AM

The Mogul does not have enough memory to run iG08 with TTS voices. My rom Boots with 29MB free RAM, and iGO8 with with TTS will give me an out of memory error within 5 turns every time, and for those 5 turns its very slow at refreshing the map. I have yet to see a report of someone using iGO8 with a device with 64MB and have the TTS work, you need 128MB of RAM.

I do however use iGO8 and its been great for me, I like it better than iGO2006 that i had been using/ 2006 had no TTS so really I dont miss not having it in iGO8.

I am still on the hunt for some building files for iGO8, I have found a few but not many, and I have not found any 3dc files for North America, only 3dl.

I have also tried garmin XT, TomTom, and Sygic. Garmin has the nest routing by far, with Sygic a close second, TomTom and Igo use teleatlas maps which arent as good as navtec. I really didnt like the map view in Garmin, I like the more 3d angle of the the others. I actually like sygic quite a bit, but for some reason I always come back to iGO.

The only downside to IGO is that they dont sell a retail version with North American Maps, you have to source the maps from somewhere else. OnCourse Navigator is a rebadged version of IGO for morth america, and the OCN maps will work, but there wont be a OCN 8 until later this year from what Ive read. OCN 6 is the same a iGo2006 and its $89.99

Lsme420 05-14-2008 09:43 AM

The best "REAL" GPS? I want to know what the best "FAKE" GPS is?

nico4k 05-14-2008 10:08 AM

My vote is for Navigon MobileNavigator 6. this is the "real" true Best GPS system you will find!! the only problem is that it is only available in UK right now....but they have US Maps too. This will be available for the Pocket pc in the US by the end of 2008 as i was told by a Rep. from Navigonusa.com
I have not seen a better looking and full of features navigation system as of yet...Navigon is worth the wait.

Richard Ward 05-14-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsme420 (Post 282506)
The best "REAL" GPS? I want to know what the best "FAKE" GPS is?

A "fake" GPS is one that doesn't do what I want, when I want. O_o

I'm really just looking for a "Follow the arrow" rotating-map type thing, whereas Google Maps requires you to constantly rotate the phone because the maps are fixed. I want "up" to always be "straight ahead," in a sense.

TomTom seems pretty nifty but it seems to take like a good minute to acquire satellites even with QuickGPS.

puevigi 05-14-2008 10:30 AM

Do any of these allow you to take a "snapshot" of the map as you are looking at it? Basically for some of the places I go I'd like to be able to pull up a saved map of that area to show someone else when I'm trying to tell them where a place is.

roninr6 05-14-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nico4k (Post 282530)
My vote is for Navigon MobileNavigator 6. this is the "real" true Best GPS system you will find!! the only problem is that it is only available in UK right now....but they have US Maps too. This will be available for the Pocket pc in the US by the end of 2008 as i was told by a Rep. from Navigonusa.com
I have not seen a better looking and full of features navigation system as of yet...Navigon is worth the wait.

Does it run well for you? I have read that it needs a lot of memory to run smoothly so I have never really tried it. It uses navtec maps right?

Nickles 05-14-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Journeyjeans (Post 282415)
Thanks for the run through Nick! I have iGuidance right now, and I have the one click launch set up, and so that's cool and all...but I find it buggy in one way. As soo as the voice comes on, it glitches. Like, the speaker will pop, and then the voice will speak, or it'll happen at the same time. Plus, the menu system is not pretty at all. I LOVE the TTS, which is what I got it for, and the glitch I've gotten used to. It's not so bad, but...

I have the same exact one button setup with GPSgate, and mortscript for iGuidance.. and the EXACT speakervoice issue as you mention above..
as you, just learned to live with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roninr6 (Post 282459)
The Mogul does not have enough memory to run iG08 with TTS voices. My rom Boots with 29MB free RAM, and iGO8 with with TTS will give me an out of memory error within 5 turns every time, and for those 5 turns its very slow at refreshing the map. I have yet to see a report of someone using iGO8 with a device with 64MB and have the TTS work, you need 128MB of RAM.

I am still on the hunt for some building files for iGO8, I have found a few but not many, and I have not found any 3dc files for North America, only 3dl.

Yeah, the only way i can keep igo8 up for an extended amout of time is if i do regular 2D maps with a regular non-TTS voice..
I think i found a couple 3DL maps for igo8 when i was hunting a couple weeks ago.. have you checked the 'usual' places?

roninr6 05-14-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickles (Post 282884)
I have the same exact one button setup with GPSgate, and mortscript for iGuidance.. and the EXACT speakervoice issue as you mention above..
as you, just learned to live with it.

Yeah, the only way i can keep igo8 up for an extended amout of time is if i do regular 2D maps with a regular non-TTS voice..
I think i found a couple 3DL maps for igo8 when i was hunting a couple weeks ago.. have you checked the 'usual' places?

With no2chems newest rom, i can get iGo8 to use 3d maps with with buildings, with all the settings on high, and it runs very smooth. But the second i select a TTS voice i get errors.

I found a few, but still nothing for the Disrtict of Columbia :(. And maybe i did something wrong, but the 3dl files for VA and MD dont actually show any buildings in the DC metro area (or downtown baltimore)

ktjensen 05-14-2008 03:31 PM

Guys, Guys - you are doing it all wrong.

For $50 you can go to EBAY and buy a Garmen I3 or I5 and have all the maps and voice recognition directions. Battery operated or plugin to cigarette lighter.

Everything else is a lame compromize that eats up processor power on your cellphone.

Nickles 05-14-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktjensen (Post 282965)

For $50 you can go to EBAY and buy a Garmen I3 or I5 and have all the maps and voice recognition directions. Battery operated or plugin to cigarette lighter.

Everything else is a lame compromize that eats up processor power on your cellphone.

well of course.. but your missing the point. i want to be able to route my ride to Taco Bell while laying on my couch or in the can with the paper..
cmon now !!!! why limit it to just in the car.
this mogul can do AMAZING things...

nico4k 05-14-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roninr6 (Post 282770)
Does it run well for you? I have read that it needs a lot of memory to run smoothly so I have never really tried it. It uses navtec maps right?

i will find out when it arrives. I won a bid on ebay for $15 shipped for the 2007 version...i will test and report back how it works on on my mogul...
NOTE: i ran a copy i downloaded a week ago, and it started up just fine, but i had no maps...so i could not fully test it.

roninr6 05-14-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nico4k (Post 283099)
i will find out when it arrives. I won a bid on ebay for $15 shipped for the 2007 version...i will test and report back how it works on on my mogul...
NOTE: i ran a copy i downloaded a week ago, and it started up just fine, but i had no maps...so i could not fully test it.

Please keep us updated. The interface looks amazing, it looks like a great program from the tutorial videos posted on youtube.

And it uses navtec maps, even better.

jpaulmartin 05-14-2008 10:16 PM

Mapquest Navigator $50 for a one year subscription. Voice guidance works great and direction traveling is always up.

marchande 05-15-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktjensen (Post 282965)

yea.. but it wouldnt be as cool... or as fun... .. but your point is very vallid

as for my prefereances.. garmin has been the best one for me.. iguidance was to flakey.. (things may have changed since I used it) and tomtom being european based didnt have enough goodies for the americans... garmin works out of the box and doesnt require a "primer" and it tells me where the closest restaurants are at... (find the food feature is what my girl loves the most) as for the TTS functions.. never got it to work in iguidance.. and lets face it.. the mogle doesnt have enough memory to run some of this stuff.. (drooling over the diamond and the touch pro due out in sep and november)

so after I switch over to the diamond or touch pro.. Ill stil be able to use the mogle as a standalone gps using garmin...

thats my take on things.

Nickles 05-16-2008 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roninr6 (Post 282770)

I grabbed Navigon 6.1 and loaded it up.. if you don't have any maps, it auto-closes when you start it, which is lame, because i just wanted to check out settings and such... since full country maps are over a Gig, i downloaded a 30MB map of the middle east - Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. LOL..
started it up and checked out the interface. not bad, nothing extra special over what i've seen with other progs..

i couldn't plan a proper route, since it had no idea where i was (because i don't have the US Maps) -- but i did browse the streets of Dubai and some places - POI's were pretty impressive, i found some KFC's (wtf ?? )
graphics weren't anything special..

and yes, i did notice some lag... nothing horrible, but you'd click the map, and it would take a couple/three seconds to get going... found this to be the same also when going through the menu selections, and making changes to the settings...... but it never crashed....

am downloading the full US mapset now, also with 'Reality View'.. not sure what thats about - probably their version of 3D or something..
i'll install sometime tomorrow night and report back..

It looks like they use a mix of NavTeq and Teleatlas maps..
The US maps are labeled Navteq, so we'll see !

Richard Ward 05-16-2008 07:54 AM

It appears TomTom doesn't know what a Blockbuster Video is.

Is iGo the solution? Kind of pricey. Any more reviews/opinions on the best 3D moving map GPS software for Windows Mobile? O_o

hippity.hoppity 05-16-2008 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Journeyjeans (Post 282415)

Just replace the stock voice. That's what I did and it fixed the odd glitch when the voice would begin speaking.

I'd never use a GPS app without TTS. Total waste.

Nickles 05-16-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity (Post 284931)
Just replace the stock voice. That's what I did and it fixed the odd glitch when the voice would begin speaking.

I'd never use a GPS app without TTS. Total waste.

Hmmm. interesting idea.
i came up with this link HERE , but the URL for the voice file has since been removed......
what 'other' voice are you using ??? i would like to give it a try, but not sure what voice file would be compatible with iGuidance, or what the format would be ?

hippity.hoppity 05-16-2008 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickles (Post 285211)
Hmmm. interesting idea.
i came up with this link HERE , but the URL for the voice file has since been removed......
what 'other' voice are you using ??? i would like to give it a try, but not sure what voice file would be compatible with iGuidance, or what the format would be ?

I found it on another site.

Nickles 05-16-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity (Post 285374)
I found it on another site.

where are you putting the .wav files ? the iNav folder has a \scansoft folder, with a couple of 'RealSpeak' folder underneath it.. i think there is more to it than just wav files ? there weren't any existing wav files in my iNav folder.
just a bunch of speech engines and stuff.

pathogen 05-16-2008 09:59 PM

I'm using iGo8 and for some reason it won't locate the GPS

HTC Touch with the leaked sprint rom

hippity.hoppity 05-16-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickles (Post 285406)
where are you putting the .wav files ? the iNav folder has a \scansoft folder, with a couple of 'RealSpeak' folder underneath it.. i think there is more to it than just wav files ? there weren't any existing wav files in my iNav folder.
just a bunch of speech engines and stuff.

Trust me, there's nothing more to it. Delete all the .spx files and replace with the .wav files.

datawrhsdoc 05-16-2008 11:17 PM

My favorite is iGuidance 4. Like others, I'm using the one click launcher. I sometimes switch over to Sprint Nav (TeleNav) when the traffic is bad to get the automated traffic rerouting, but otherwise I can't stand Sprint Nav.

Unlike others, I've got ALL voice prompts going through the TTS engine in iGuidance. No more glitches, no more of those hokey changes in voice styles when road names are pronounced...and as far as I'm concerned, the TTS voice generally sounds no less human (sometimes more so, actually) than the recorded "Turn right on ... in 500 feet" messages.

To go 100% TTS you'll need to add a DWORD registry key:

HKCU\Software\iNav\iGuidance\TTS=2

Try it. I doubt that you'll be disappointed.

-Doc

Raheinm 05-16-2008 11:29 PM

now reading through this I haven't heard any mention sprint navigation. i love it and it works great for me

datawrhsdoc 05-17-2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raheinm (Post 285736)
now reading through this I haven't heard any mention sprint navigation. i love it and it works great for me

You must not have been using Sprint Navigation during the afternoon of Tuesday 5/13/08, then. Just when I NEEDED traffic optimized routing to get to the airport, the Sprint Nav service had crashed back at the TeleNav servers (confirmed by Sprint CS). I went back to Google Maps to get traffic patterns and then routed around the traffic jam using iGuidance 4.

Unfortunately, by the time I figured out the Sprint Nav was fubar, I had missed best case rerouting options and almost missed my flight. In addition, at my destination, there were areas without cellular coverage where Sprint Nav could not assist. Without a disconnected solution like iGuidance, I would have missed my flight and missed my later dinner meeting. By the way, TomTom's TeleAtlas were crap at my destination.

Moral of the story is, if you really need _reliable_ routing in North America, a disconnected solution with NavTeq maps and TTS road names is a must have. iGuidance 4 fits the bill perfectly.

-Doc

mikeo1313 05-17-2008 04:47 PM

I can upgrade from 6700 to 6800 for $200 dollars. I got transit plans in a few us cities and DON'T want to carry around an extra unit if I don't need to.

If TTS & stability is decent I think the upgrade is the way to go 4 me, I don't see no "fun" in fiddling with a solution that gives problems... so is the 6800 /w igo2006 or iguidance's tts something thats really working out for those that use it out on the streets?

Thanks

Nickles 05-17-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeo1313 (Post 286236)
I can upgrade from 6700 to 6800 for $200 dollars. I got transit plans in a few us cities and DON'T want to carry around an extra unit if I don't need to.

If TTS & stability is decent I think the upgrade is the way to go 4 me, I don't see no "fun" in fiddling with a solution that gives problems... so is the 6800 /w igo2006 or iguidance's tts something thats really working out for those that use it out on the streets?

Thanks

well, you DON'T have TTS with igo2006.. you DO, with iGo8, but it is completely unstable on the 6800 and will not stay running. (we don't have the RAM to sufficiently support it).

iGuidance DOES have TTS, but there is a bit of pain involved in getting it setup correctly, with shortcuts, script, and additional programs needed....

out of the box solution, igo2006 is awesome, easy to use, and hasslefree. (but no TTS, just remember that)

Journeyjeans 05-17-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeo1313 (Post 286236)
so is the 6800 /w igo2006 or iguidance's tts something thats really working out for those that use it out on the streets?

Thanks

iGuidance, as far as usefulness, works perfectly. It does involve a bit of "pain", so to speak, to set it up to run with one click. I had to go to like 4 different sites to get the required software items and instructions (Here, xda-developers, GPSgate site, the Mortscript program- sourceforge). I was actually thinking about making the intructions WAY easier and putting them and the needed links in my Sig. Might do that tomorrow.

It took me like 2 hours to hunt through and find the crap, understand it, and set it up correctly. After you set it up though, you don't have to think about it anymore, and it launches like a normal program. Oh, and GPSGate costs a small amount of money....for some people, lol. (I do not endorse warez)

Was it worth it? Hmm. As the only TTS solution available, yeah, sure. But now I say a hell yeah if the voice fixes work!!!!

Thanks hippity.hoppity and datawrhsdoc! I'm going to try the reg entry right now!

Edit: I'll also add that if you get iGuidance, change the orientation from "North" to "Heading", that way when you drive, the interface is "always up", and you're not looking at the display funny like "why the **** am I driving sideways?", LOL!

I'll add this too, just for kicks. Visually speaking, iGuidance is okay. But Garmin XT is NICE! But Garmin doesn't have TTS (I'm salivationg for the day, whenever that is, lol). All in all though, you will be happy with iG4!

~Jeans

Journeyjeans 05-17-2008 07:29 PM

Great news! Registry entry works! No more snap crackle and pop! I did the registry change, then loaded up a recent location in iG4. I then ran "Demo", and it went through the whole route flawlessy! The only thing I can say is that the female voice sounds abit more "terse" than she used to, or, I may just be hearing it clearly for the first time, since I am now in a room with no sound. In anycase, AWESOME ADJUSTMENT! THANK YOU!

Man, with 4 post, you have contributed awesomeness datawrhsdoc! Now I'm going to load hippity.hoppity's voice wavs, so I can see if I can get her to sound a little bit different, but this i great!!

painkillaz 05-17-2008 09:40 PM

I was wondering if say for tom tom on the pda if you needed a data connection for it to work?

datawrhsdoc 05-17-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painkillaz (Post 286391)
I was wondering if say for tom tom on the pda if you needed a data connection for it to work?

No connection needed, but like I said, the Teleatlas maps have accuracy issues in the US. Better to go with something that uses Navteq, like iGuidance.

-Doc

datawrhsdoc 05-17-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Journeyjeans (Post 286324)
Man, with 4 post, you have contributed awesomeness datawrhsdoc! Now I'm going to load hippity.hoppity's voice wavs, so I can see if I can get her to sound a little bit different, but this i great!!

You are welcome. I might be a noob here, but I've been active on xda-dev for some time with multiple HTC devices over time, most recently a Wizard.

Hippity Hoppity's voice wavs, they only change the canned voice clips, not the TTS. Still can't figure out how to put in a replacement TTS voice.

-Doc

Nickles 05-18-2008 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity (Post 285676)
Trust me, there's nothing more to it. Delete all the .spx files and replace with the .wav files.

Awesome.. a thanks has been tipped your way.. this worked great, just as described.. i did, however, move the original sound files to a sub foder just in case i want to switch back..
The new voice, is a tad more robotic, but the annoying snap and crackle effect has disappeared...
I am wondering where you can pick up additional voice sets ??
thanks again for the tip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawrhsdoc (Post 285729)
Unlike others, I've got ALL voice prompts going through the TTS engine in iGuidance. No more glitches, no more of those hokey changes in voice styles when road names are pronounced...and as far as I'm concerned, the TTS voice generally sounds no less human (sometimes more so, actually) than the recorded "Turn right on ... in 500 feet" messages.

To go 100% TTS you'll need to add a DWORD registry key:

HKCU\Software\iNav\iGuidance\TTS=2

Try it. I doubt that you'll be disappointed.

I did this.. (i had to actually add the dword TTS.. was that normal?)
anyway, i'm not 100% sure what this reg edit actually does.
is THIS the fix for the snap/crackle pop ? or is this something else.......
i was under the impression Hippitys new wav voice files took care of the that...
just slightly confused .....:scratch:

nico4k 05-18-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpaulmartin (Post 283379)
Mapquest Navigator $50 for a one year subscription. Voice guidance works great and direction traveling is always up.

just to note...mapquest is piggy backing off of Telmap Navigator...it is the same app. go to www.telmapdirect.com and download a free 14-day trial...very nice app. try it out.

nico4k 05-18-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roninr6 (Post 283369)
Please keep us updated. The interface looks amazing, it looks like a great program from the tutorial videos posted on youtube.

And it uses navtec maps, even better.

I am going to pickup the package at the post office tomorrow morning..hope it's there and i will test back...btw the reality view (it is what it means), when you get to an exit, it shows you the real names, lanes, street signs available...no other gps software does that as far as i know...

newone757 05-18-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickles (Post 282305)
I have TomTom6, GarminXT, iGuidance4, iGo2006 and iGoi8 all on my device, all working.. i always seem to drift to iGo2006.
reason is -> great looking 3d mapping. REAL TIME ON SCREEN POI. POI's simply appear on your map route, and a simple click brings up a tiny window with the name and number of the POI all without ever going off route- and you can dial that number right then and there on screen...
that is a simple feature that is SORELY lacking in the others, even in iGo's latest release - iGo8.:scratch:
I think TomTom is the worst.. crazy to operate, and just plain ugly.

iGuidance and iGo8 are the only 2 that have real TTS capability (where the voice actually announces the street names).. i WOULD be using iGo8 exclusively, but it's an absolute memory pig, and it crashed time and time again, when in 3D mode with TTS voice turned on... shame ....... i think they need another build to perfect that .. (it's only been released a couple weeks)..
iGuidance was my app of choice, until i saw iGo2006.. i just really like the usability, and graphics .. also a big plus with iGo, unlike that of TomTom, Garmin OR iGuidance, is you are free to only load the maps you wish to use.. meaning, you can get away with a complete GPS solution for your state for around 40MB or so.. better than a 1.2GB real estate with the others..
Granted, you can't map from AZ to PA, if you don't have the states in between right ?
well kind of - iGo has a 'Major US Roads and Highways' map, that you can load up, to do all the connecting navigation between all the states.

i highly recommend iGo2006.. of course if your like me and have a severe obsession and OCD with GPS you won't be able to stop until you've tried them all.
my next mission was actually Destinator v7, but i couldn't find any US maps.. so i gave up.............for now......:twisted:

CO SIGN I HAVE IGO 2006 AND ITS BEEN WORKING GREAT, WORKS JUST LIKE I NEED IT TOO. CAN ROUTE A ROUTE QUICK TOO IF I M LOST, JUST OPEN IT UP, CLICK FIND AND GO AND CLICK home AND DIRECTIONS TO THE HOUSE WILL POP UP. pLUS I ONLY LOAD THE STATE I LIVE IN AS FAR AS MAPS GO BECAUSE I DONT LEAVE THE STATE AND IT SAVES alot OF SPACE . ALL THESE TOM TOM MAPS I SEEN WERE LIKE 1GB + AND I ONLY HAVE A 513 MB CARD SO THE 26 MB MAP WORKS GREAT

sorry about the caps i didnt realize the caps lock was on

newone757 05-18-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickles (Post 286242)
well, you DON'T have TTS with igo2006.. you DO, with iGo8, but it is completely unstable on the 6800 and will not stay running. (we don't have the RAM to sufficiently support it).

iGuidance DOES have TTS, but there is a bit of pain involved in getting it setup correctly, with shortcuts, script, and additional programs needed....

out of the box solution, igo2006 is awesome, easy to use, and hasslefree. (but no TTS, just remember that)

i dont know what your talkin about.

i have igo2006 and i have tts. works flawlessly, all i have is the mans voice though. beeps twice to alert me then speaks clearly in advance so i have time to follow directions