PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   The Best "Real" GPS Navigation Software (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=26476)

bruceo 07-13-2008 06:47 PM

Re: The Best "Real" GPS Navigation Software

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity (Post 345660)
FWIW, no priming software is needed any longer. iG4 auto-detecs the port and baud of the internal GPS just fine.

Was there an update? I had to use gps gate to get Iguidance to update position otherwise it would only update every few minutes instead of seconds

iLLuSiOnS 07-16-2008 03:55 AM

I have read most of these posts, and I appreciate everyone's input, but what about the best FREE gps software, does this exist?

jrflurry 07-16-2008 04:09 AM

Hey illusions PM me and ill help ya with that....

No1ustad 07-16-2008 04:43 AM

this poll might help
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21395

schettj 07-16-2008 07:47 AM

Well, I am living on TomTom 6 right now in the UK - I have it running on a dedicated ipaq navigator (WM5) and an AT&T Tilt (Kaiser) - but when I'm in the US my native phone is a mogul, and TT6 works very well on it (stock wm6 rom)

The text to speech for street names being missing isn't really an issue (esp here in the UK, where there are NO street signs anyway!) a decent vent mount puts the device near heads-up level. Routing is good, no data connection needed is nice. I use the TT for NAVIGATION, I'll use Windows live search for finding stuff near me... and then put the address into tt6 to get the turn by turn (here in the UK no data plan, so I use google maps to find stuff night before, put em all in favorites in TT6 for quick and easy access... the gas/parking POIs have been accurate enough.

Oh, and the navigation sound prompts seem to play over BT stereo headsets just fine. Which is handy in CA where you have to use hands free for your cell now.

Anyway, really any map-on-device navigator that shouts out the turns and gives you a nice 3-d display with big arrows :D is going to do a much better job for navigating while driving.

slypher 07-16-2008 08:02 AM

I was looking at the Inav 4 site and saw the following:
iGuidance 2009 Pocket PC version:
  • 1. ETA: Aug 2008
  • 2. Features: TBD
  • 3. Compatibility: Microsoft wm5 (pocket pc/pocket pc phone editions only), and wm6 (classic and professional editions only)
  • 4. Price: $99 (including 2GB microSD card w/ miniSD & SD adapters, upgradeable to 4GB at add’l cost).
Looks pretty interesting. Hopefully they make it less quirky for WinMo users and add traffic!

-s

slypher 07-16-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity (Post 345660)
FWIW, no priming software is needed any longer. iG4 auto-detecs the port and baud of the internal GPS just fine.

What changed? Was it a change to the Mogul (new Rom?) or an update to IG4?

-s

Osteo 07-16-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLLuSiOnS (Post 348727)
I have read most of these posts, and I appreciate everyone's input, but what about the best FREE gps software, does this exist?

Clunky, free, but very functional: Nav4All http://nav4all.com/site2/nav4all.com/index.php

Needs a primer like GPSToday or GPSToggle...

lunchboxroundpants 07-16-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osteo (Post 348816)
Clunky, free, but very functional: Nav4All http://nav4all.com/site2/nav4all.com/index.php

Needs a primer like GPSToday or GPSToggle...

maybe i'm just not seeing it but i didn't see the mogul or 6800 on the htc or other list

sparhawk6 07-16-2008 10:51 AM

Does anyone know how to load more POIs into igo2006? The POIs I have installed now are very lacking and out dated.

Nickles 07-16-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparhawk6 (Post 348898)
Does anyone know how to load more POIs into igo2006? The POIs I have installed now are very lacking and out dated.

Yes, there is an iGo POI Explorer program, which can be found right HERE.

mikeo1313 01-04-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Journeyjeans (Post 286305)
iGuidance, as far as usefulness, works perfectly. It does involve a bit of "pain", so to speak, to set it up to run with one click. I had to go to like 4 different sites to get the required software items and instructions (Here, xda-developers, GPSgate site, the Mortscript program- sourceforge). I was actually thinking about making the intructions WAY easier and putting them and the needed links in my Sig. Might do that tomorrow.

It took me like 2 hours to hunt through and find the crap, understand it, and set it up correctly. After you set it up though, you don't have to think about it anymore, and it launches like a normal program. Oh, and GPSGate costs a small amount of money....for some people, lol. (I do not endorse warez)

Was it worth it? Hmm. As the only TTS solution available, yeah, sure. But now I say a hell yeah if the voice fixes work!!!!

Thanks hippity.hoppity and datawrhsdoc! I'm going to try the reg entry right now!

Edit: I'll also add that if you get iGuidance, change the orientation from "North" to "Heading", that way when you drive, the interface is "always up", and you're not looking at the display funny like "why the **** am I driving sideways?", LOL!

I'll add this too, just for kicks. Visually speaking, iGuidance is okay. But Garmin XT is NICE! But Garmin doesn't have TTS (I'm salivationg for the day, whenever that is, lol). All in all though, you will be happy with iG4!

~Jeans

Thanks for the suggestion. Ever since, I've gotten around to upgrading & meddling a bit with the gps thing and edited my old post with some interesting map findings, :twisted: if interested.

I actually decided on Garmin XT, it does give TTS (w/o street names) and decided to steer clear from iguidance and others due to either performance issues I've read others have had or lack of map availability/flexibility.

vorkosigan1974 01-06-2009 05:36 PM

Can someone point me to a location to purchase a valid copy of Tom Tom Navigator 6? Not having any luck finding this. And Tom Tom is no help. I'd be interested in GarminXT if they didn't demand I use their memory cards (same for Inav).
Any help for a valid purchase link would be appreciated.

mikeo1313 01-07-2009 04:51 PM

Resourceful folk have been able to buy it, copy the \garmin folder to the higher capacity card of their liking and paste the corresponding serial for that cooresponding device id.

Likewise, because tech support wouldn't otherwise help a client with valid license to do the same.