PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon VX6800

be0wulfe is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brightness Slider doesn't work

Does either HTC Home Customizer or the HTC Home Plugin do anything to the ability for the brightness slider to continue to work? It slides but brightness stays dim. I've been trying to get both my brightness slider to work and my keyboard backlighting to work to no avail after installing both HTC Home & the HTC Home Customizer.

If not, can someone at least share how I could fix the appropriate registry settings that would then allow me to again adjust my brightness settings.

I know this is not a hardware issue because when the phone boots up, it's nice and bright, then dims significantly right towards the end of the mobile splashscreen.

The interesting part is that if I restore an earlier backup, after these plugins, everything works fine. For about 5m or until I reset the phone, then it dims again and can't be undimmed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I would like to avoid yet another hard reset ...
Old 03-26-2008, 04:56 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Brightness Slider doesn't work

Are you running stock ROM and just HTC Home?? Ive never had this issue. There is an applications called metrix that will put icons on the today screen, like RAM Battery life, and one of them is a brightness scrollbar. Im sure if you search you would be able to find the program.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon VX6800
Threadstarter

be0wulfe is a n00b

Stock ROM, HTC Home, HTC Home Customizer (PocketEMU), VistaCube, GoogleMaps (pointless w/o GPS support), TranCreative Magic Button, Vista Cube+black graphics pack, Wizard reTOUCHed dialer, CommManager 10key fix by chnht & spb Backup.

After some fiddling I've discovered the problem has to do with the backlight off timer settings. Something is forcing the screen to dim to the lowest setting, but not off, and it's not resetting when a button is pushed, etc. - and somehow disabling the brightness slider entirely. The workaround is to turn off the timers entirely.

I still want to know how to use the timer AND not get stuck at the dimmest setting ...
Old 03-31-2008, 02:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Turnkeys is becoming a great contributor

I've been seeing this same issue recently, but only when it's plugged in (AC or USB). Unfortunately I can't localize when it started, as I'm usually not using it when it's docked.

I can confirm it's not a hardware issue also, as the sliders and backlight (screen and keyboard) work normally if I restore an earlier backup.. unfortunately that backup is shortly after I upgraded to the stock 3.35 ROM.

I have PocketToolman, SKtools, Tweak2K installed though I can't find any settings in any of those that're making a difference. PocketToolman has an adjustment for the keyboard backlight, but no adjustments there seem to make a difference.

Also, disabling the backlight timer has no effect for me.

I'm currently restoring that previous backup so I can export the registry settings for comparrison. Anyone have any insight?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Turnkeys is becoming a great contributor
Thumbs up Re: Brightness Slider doesn't work

Finally cracked this.. I believe it was caused (mine anyway) by SPB Benchmark. After looking back, I realized the times matched. Only have a few mins right now, but I'm pretty sure it's caused by the battery tests.

Check your registry,
HKCU\ControlPanel\Backlight

Look for keys
OnOff or
OnOffAC.
If either of these are set to 0, the brightness sliders are completely byp*****. I believe (in my case) SPB Benchmark set the OnOffAC key to 0 in prep for the battery test I was going to run... irony is, after seeing how long it would take, I cancelled the test. But the app didn't restore the key. Since this only happened to me on external power, it took me a while to notice... and a day an' a half to lock it down.

Questions / comments? I'll have more time tonight.
G'Luck!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Verizon

xanthias is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to xanthias Send a message via MSN to xanthias

I experienced this once wih SPB Mobile Shell, as well. Before I located your solution here, a hard reset was required. Haven't been able to reproduce the problem yet to say whether the regedit is the solution.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan