PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How-to: Use TomTom without Live Search/GMaps (no data connection)

TomTom hasn't been updated to use the GPS sharing functionality built into the newer versions of Windows Mobile. This causes a problem: you can't use the built-in GPS in TomTom unless you have another GPS-aware program running in the background.

Running Google Maps or Live Search in the background fixes this, but then you have the additional drain from data usage as they have to download the maps as you move. This how-to will tell you how to use the recently-unlocked GPS function in TomTom without launching LS/GMaps first.

1. Install TurboGPS

You can download the cab from ftp://ppcgeeks:ezupload@up.ppcgeeks....ssetup-wm5.cab

Transfer to device and install the CAB

2. Run and configure TurboGPS

From Programs, tap on the TGPS icon.

Open the Tools menu, then click on GPS, then on GPS Setup.

Leave Port blank, leave Baud alone, and leave Simulation unchecked. Then check Use GPS Api (WM5+) and then click OK.

Then, open the Tools menu again, click on GPS, and then GPS Connect. The program will make the same sound as when you connect to ActiveSync.

Wait a minute for the X Y and Z coordinates to populate.

3. Run TomTom

Open TomTom. If it's not already set for COM4 at 4800 baud, then configure it for that.

Now you're getting GPS in TomTom without data drain! It will even work in Flight Mode!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Good write up, thanks!

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

alabij is a n00b
Someone wrote an app at XDA-dev that is way simpler than yours. It's a link to tomtom or igo. It pretty much starts the GPS port.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

TalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuff
All covered in my FAQ:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=17032

Which will be heavily updated by tomorrow night. I wish my thread would be stickied there are lots of questions that are getting repeated which are already covered in the FAQ.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone 6+
Carrier: AT&T

JackSchitt28 is keeping up the good workJackSchitt28 is keeping up the good work
this is a great alternative to loading live search for GPS. thank you for posting.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: iphone
Carrier: att

tonyintn is a n00b
if you want to get TomTom or Iguidence working with just one click all you need to do is follow this: As the link says you will put the launcher on the root then get rid of the regular tomtom short cout in \windows\start menu\programs\ and replace it with the one in AstroGPSLauncher. Thats it TomTom will fire up with GPS enabled already.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...+launch+TomTom

Last edited by tonyintn; 02-06-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro - Treo Pro

roninr6 is a n00b
Another satisfied AstroGPS-TomTom user here. the combo works great.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Thanks everyone for bringing that to my attention. It wasn't my intention to clutter the forum. I was just posting what I found and what worked for me. This always happens whenever a major update comes out--there are so many different ways to do things, and it takes a while for a "standard" method to shake out. I'll be using Astro until TomTom decides to get with the program.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan