PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Lurker

JonathanWarrick is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unlocking/customizing ROM lead to decreased slow down?

Hi all,

I'm a new PPC user and I love the customization and features that the phone offers, but I have one major gripe right now that's making me debate keeping the phone. I'm working with a XV6800 and I'm a frequent texter and the slowdown due to what I'm sure are a variety of things is really bothering me.

When I soft-reset the phone, everything is quite speedy, but over the course of the day, my memory starts to "leak" and everything slows down. It'll sometimes take my phone 3 to 5 second to switch from vertical to horizontal when I open the keyboard, another few seconds to open and look at the message, and then once I start typing, the letters drag behind at a speed much slower than the one I'm typing at.

My question is, will going with a stable ROM such as DCD's or Custel's when he releases one and keeping the number of applications I install and run to a minimum solve this completely? I'm experiencing this even after a few hours use with no other programs running, so I don't think that's the way a phone should operate "smoothly." Or am I completely wrong, is this just something I have to get used to and accept? If that's the case, I may be considering the wrong phone.

In addition, what about threaded SMS? Will that have any effect on this text messaging delay?

In summary, I'm looking to get rid of the delay in all of my apps and across the whole phone, not just in texting, but that's the best and most notable example I have. Any advice on speeding it up would be appreciated for these specific issues, but before I run out of time, I want to make sure this is a solveable issue.

Finally, on a separate note, is there any downside to doing several soft-resets a day if necessary? Eventually over the next week or so I want to tweak it to not have to do this, but for now, is that ok?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

drew826 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanWarrick View Post
My question is, will going with a stable ROM such as DCD's or Custel's when he releases one and keeping the number of applications I install and run to a minimum solve this completely? I'm experiencing this even after a few hours use with no other programs running, so I don't think that's the way a phone should operate "smoothly." Or am I completely wrong, is this just something I have to get used to and accept? If that's the case, I may be considering the wrong phone.
I'm running dcd's clean rom 1.6.8 on my phone, and I still experience the problems you mention. After a soft reset, I usually have around 28MB of RAM free and things run well and smooth. If I don't soft reset after a couple of days, I get down closer to 10-13MB free and things start to slow down like you mention. The screen takes longer to change orientation (though not as long as you mention), and the messages are delayed to come up. Those aren't awful, but I do hate when I type 2 or 3 words of a text message before they actually show up on screen. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any roms that fix the memory leaks in Windows Mobile. It might just be something you have to get used to and accept. But compared to soft-resetting multiple times a day, doing it once every day or two isn't too bad of an option.

Quote:
Finally, on a separate note, is there any downside to doing several soft-resets a day if necessary? Eventually over the next week or so I want to tweak it to not have to do this, but for now, is that ok?
Not that I know of...I used to do it quite often with my 6700.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted
Carrier: Sprint

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work
If you were out of memory, you would recieve low memory warnings from the operating system. Sloppily written programs do not remove themselves completely from memory causing the slowdown.
Even closing programs using a program like taskmanager does not always clear them from memory properly. Soft resetting once or twice a day only takes a minute or two and will keep things moving nicely.
Desktop pc's had this problem for years, instead of encouraging better code, pc manufacturers just threw more and more system memory at the problem. Even todays' desktops with 4 gig system memory need a 'reset' occassionally

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan