PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 12:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

krusty46 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"Flash Dance" Still necessary?

Anyone who came over from a TP2 might remember after a flash we had to hard reset. Still have to do that with Android?

TIA
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511
Re: "Flash Dance" Still necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty46 View Post
Anyone who came over from a TP2 might remember after a flash we had to hard reset. Still have to do that with Android?

TIA
i usually do a hard reset before a flash. But the whole "flash dance" thing isnt necessary.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:50 AM
H the F Up!RED DRAGONS!!
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2
Carrier: Big Red V

Whotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIP
Re: "Flash Dance" Still necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty46 View Post

TIA
Well terminology is different but you still SHOULD do a set of steps to ensure a good flash and no carry over from the previous. Some will say not so much an issue, others will swear by a double wipe dance! Most Devs releasing ROMs recommend the full wipe most of the time unless it is an update package. Most even include the scripts in the ROM .zips so it wipes before starting the flash process

My pers method is what I picked up from the DInc community over the past few months and had great results with. This is a very popular method in the DInc flashing world and now the Thunderbolt at XDA .

Backup 1st!
Then go into Recovery either through ROM manager, through powering off then holding down the volume down button and power button to go into hboot then select recovery,or if ya have THE PERFECT STORM 1.1.2 you now have the option to boot into recovery by long pressing the power button for menu. (or any other custom and flashed the new .zip to get the multiple option power button menu.)

Once in recovery go to advanced, then to wipe Dalv. cache, do that, then you are going to "go back" do that, then go down to "wipe cache partition" do that, then "wipe data/factory reset" do that. Then you are ready to flash. Some even repeat the last step for good measure.

Just wiping data/factory reset has been known to not always clear the caches out correctly, hence the need for the other two wipes. As I mentioned many custom ROMs will also wipe everything when they flash as an extra precaution. Same with flashing from ROM manager, it has had known issues with wiping correctly when using it to initiate the wipe and flash sequence. Although Koush has updated and fixed the issues with the wiping and ROM manger/CWR many people still report issues without manually wiping in recovery before flashing.

So in an essence........Yes you should do a flash dance. I have tried flashing over other roms to keep data and not wiping and I have tried all the wipe methods. I never have issues when I manually wipe. I have saw things carry over when I have not wiped or wiped fully.............. kinda like underwear bro. Better safe than sorry and chaffed.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt