PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511
Easy Root

has anybody tried this: Easyroot + S-Off - xda-developers ?? i know that the first version had bugs but what about the most recent release. i would love to root my thunderbolt but i dont think its worth it if it has bugs. if anybody finds any other root methods please post them here to avoid creating too many root threads.
thanks
-david

Old 03-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Easy Root

the new version was released and people are saying it works pretty good. i think i might try it later today. if i do ill let you know what happens
-david
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tbolt - Bamf Remix 1.6 Oc'ed 1.3,DX - Apex 1.4
Carrier: Verizon

Padron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Yeah it works, I've done the full adb root and the easy root. Adb is good cause it makes you more comfortable with your device. But easy root is better if you are having adb problems. I didn't have any bugs on either.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

to root the thunderbolt it is first downgraded to a previous build, right? is the build it downgrades to bug free? does everything work? does it upgrade again after its rooted? is there a way to unroot? thanks
-david
Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidetkin511 View Post
to root the thunderbolt it is first downgraded to a previous build, right? is the build it downgrades to bug free? does everything work? does it upgrade again after its rooted? is there a way to unroot? thanks
-david
Helpful Links:

Easy Install of Android SDK/ADB

How To Use ADB and Common Commands

Root Methods:

1.) The adb method works and helps you understand the process.

2.) The Easy Rooter
Works great as well and requires less steps and knowledge of what you are doing.

3.)One Click Method For PC, which also works quite well.

4.)Easy Root Mac/Linux Version
If you are on a Mac or use Linux

____Ref:Manual Root > step-by-step guide for Mac OS

I have tried each of the PC versions and rooted and unrooted my Thunderbolt quite a few times now, to help test different methods.
Once you use the Easy Rooter method, yes it downgrades the firmware during the process.
This firmware(rom) is not what you are supposed to stick with using.
Although yes, it does function just fine.

After the downgrade and rooting, there is a simple step to:
use Rom Manager and CWM(ClockworkMod Recovery) to flash a recovery image,
which then upgrades the firmware to the same revision that the device shipped with.
Or you can then flash any of the custom roms available.

Also, yes there is a way to unroot as well.

[WARNING] Do not downgrade to 1.0xxxxx after root

~My Ultimate WVGA Wallpapers Collection~
Donations accepted not expected!

Last edited by santod; 03-29-2011 at 03:09 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Hey SANTOD,
thanks for your response. i have a few questions. the method im trying to use is oneclick because i have a mac. if i need to use another method i can because i have a vm.
1) where is the recovery image that i can use to get back to the stock rom (with root, i dont mean to unroot with)
2) during the 2nd step of oneclick when it is pushing files it says no such file or directory found
3) i think i would be able to use adb, i have used it a little before. im not really sure what people mean when they say that they know adb. is it just typing / copying & pasting commands?

thanks
-david
Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 PM
"MODS"

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidetkin511 View Post
Hey SANTOD,
thanks for your response. i have a few questions. the method im trying to use is oneclick because i have a mac. if i need to use another method i can because i have a vm.
1) where is the recovery image that i can use to get back to the stock rom (with root, i dont mean to unroot with)
2) during the 2nd step of oneclick when it is pushing files it says no such file or directory found
3) i think i would be able to use adb, i have used it a little before. im not really sure what people mean when they say that they know adb. is it just typing / copying & pasting commands?

thanks
-david
No problem.
Because you are on a Mac, you may wanna use the Easy Root Mac/Linux Version.

1.) The recovery image can be found with Rom Manager, which is auto installed with the downgrade firmware. So once the downgrade firmware is installed and you have rebooted, you will see Rom Manager in your app drawer.
From there, open Rom Manager and select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
It will give you a dropdpwn to select device.
Only option that will appear, will be HTC Thunderbolt, select and install Clockwork for Thunderbolt. Then do the recovery from there.
It will automatically grab the only recovery file available, which will be the upgrade to the stock firmware, with root still intact.

2.) If the push does not find the directory, then you either do not have adb installed on your computer, or the PATH is set wrong.
Check for more info regarding setting your path, in the root threads.

3.) The adb method is yes, mainly entering commands into a command line.
Most can be done by simply copy and paste from the great guides available. However, it is easier to get something wrong or mess something up doing it manually. You just have to be careful of what you type in.

I hope that helps clear things up at least a little bit.
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask, or hit up the threads you might be following. I'm always happy to help when and if I can.
Good luck and happy rooting.

EDIT***

Also for a reference:
Manual Root > step-by-step guide for Mac OS

Last edited by santod; 03-28-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

bryan9915 is a n00b

Ok I am a noob to android just switched from WinMo. I have a simple question about rooting. When I do it will it undo all of my settings / apps or does it retain all of that. Granted I have only had the phone for less than a week, but it would be annoying to have to re do it all.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
"MODS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan9915 View Post
Ok I am a noob to android just switched from WinMo. I have a simple question about rooting. When I do it will it undo all of my settings / apps or does it retain all of that. Granted I have only had the phone for less than a week, but it would be annoying to have to re do it all.
Yes, using the Easy Root processes require you to change/downgrade your current firmware, once. After that has been done and you are rooted, you can then switch roms at will, as long as you do a backup with ClockworkMod Recovery before you flash.
But there are many apps available that will save a lot of things for you, just hunt around for the ones that suit your need.
For me, I enjoy setting mine up fresh, WinMo, Android, whatever.
Once I get bored with changing it up and know exactly how I want things, then I restore backups. But that's the skinny on that.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt