PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 03:01 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt / HTC Evo Shift
Carrier: Verizon / Sprint

ufjason is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Features

removed

Last edited by ufjason; 01-28-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond Touch Pro
Carrier: verizon

tiyaga13 is just getting started

Got the thunderbolt yesterday and it has a 4 g sim. I asked if this could be used on a gsm network and a verizon representative said the phone would have to be unlocked to be used on another network.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

spaceboy is keeping up the good workspaceboy is keeping up the good work

Anyone try voice and data at the same time?

I only have 3G and will give it a try.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Starcruiser1229 is a n00b

I can confirm it works fine for me - I am in a 3g only area, my WIFI is off. I made a phone call, put it on speaker, and then opened the browser and went to Wikipedia, no problem. Awesome!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

I just tested this on 3G with NO wifi, and I can confirm that there IS SVD. Taskbar showed 3G while I was on the call, and I could browse the web at normal 3G speeds. This was NOT 1x...

Craziness... I woulda been the last one to believe SVD on 3G was possible...

SWEET!!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufjason View Post
Yes, SVD will work in 3G as well on the Thunderbolt. This is a feature supported by VZW but the phone hardware must be configured to use it as well. So, just because a phone is coming out after VZW added this ability doesn't mean it will have SVD unless the OEM built it in.
Svd will not work in 3g. Cdma has never and will never allow it do to the technology. Only 4g or gsm will allow svd. If 3g allowed it companies would be making their phones do this left and right to compete with att and their commercials that show svd on their phones.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417
Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
Svd will not work in 3g. Cdma has never and will never allow it do to the technology. Only 4g or gsm will allow svd. If 3g allowed it companies would be making their phones do this left and right to compete with att and their commercials that show svd on their phones.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
Stealth Guards
Yeah I thought the exact same thing, and would have argued that point all day long. Until I tested it out on the Thunderbolt last night. I was on a phone call, wifi off, and was able to browse to any site i wanted.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 AM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
You, sir, are a moron! You don't know what you're talking about! 4G is a made up word. LTE is the next generation of cellular beyond 3G. They never called the older networks before 3G 2G until 3G became a hot marketing word. CDMA was always capable of running SVD but the towers and equipment weren't set up for it. When Verizon updated their towers and equipment for LTE, they enabled separation of the 1xrtt, EvDo and LTE channels which turned on the SVD capabilities. You can run a LTE data session and use EvDo(3G) for voice or use 3G for data and 1xrtt for voice. I told you this worked on the Thunderbolt before as I was testing the phone weeks ago. The phone must also be set up for SVD, not just the network. The new Qualcomm chipset in the Thunderbolt makes this possible. Don't make statements you can't back up. There will be 3G only phone for Verizon that can do SVD coming soon.

Last edited by ufjason; 03-21-2011 at 12:43 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC/AT&T Inspire 4G
Carrier: AT&T

ac0x is becoming a great contributor

What does "not necessarily well" mean? Slower data speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arl16 View Post
Actually, it looks like it may work - not necessarily well, but it has apparently been confirmed...

HTC Thunderbolt Can Handle Data and Voice Over 3G, Why Not Announce it? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac0x View Post
What does "not necessarily well" mean? Slower data speeds?
Basically, it was not tested in the lab so they want to self handicap and say that it may not work well. Truth is it works unbelievably well. It's so nice to finally use google maps navigation and accept a phone call at the same time.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt