PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dye job the battery door.

Was wondering if anybody has tried dyeing the imagio battery cover. I love the soft matte finish on the one side and hate the shiny black on the other. What the hell were they thinking to make it like this? I'm about ready to try it. I did my verizon tp2 and it turned out great. I think the shiny part would need to be roughed up somehow with a fine emory perhaps. I don't want to scratch it tho. I'm considering trying some pvc primer to do it instead. Then dye it with some leftover dye from my tp2. If I totally "F" it up I can just go back to the tp2 while I await the new battery cover I'd have to order.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio -- and LOVING IT.
Carrier: Verizon

Mahalo is becoming a great contributor
Re: Dye job the battery door.

Good thinking! I have NO idea why they made the back like that...makes ZERO sense. Let us know how it comes out!

HTC Imagio on Verizon Wireless
Tampa, FL
Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Here's a shot of my efforts. While it turned out good I was hoping for even better, but I'm pleased with the results.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Another (better) shot

Last edited by cbreze; 01-02-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

johncal is becoming a great contributor

I've seen the glossy/flat combo on a number of devices. Depending on if your hands are wet or dry, one of the finishes will grip better than the other.

Sorry, not a fan of the mod.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio -- and LOVING IT.

Mahalo is becoming a great contributor

CBreze, I like it. I tend to customize most of what I get from trucks to cell phones so I am really interested in your results. Fingerprints are one of the things that always bugs me with glossy phones and screens so this would help, for sure. I got one of the screen armor things... can't remember which company it is now, but it works GREAT too as far as prints and smudges are concerned. It has other pieced to attach to the rest of the phone but the screen is all I needed that for. I thought of taping up the rest of the phone and doing a light sand blast to make it less slick/shiny.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahalo View Post
CBreze, I like it. I tend to customize most of what I get from trucks to cell phones so I am really interested in your results. Fingerprints are one of the things that always bugs me with glossy phones and screens so this would help, for sure. I got one of the screen armor things... can't remember which company it is now, but it works GREAT too as far as prints and smudges are concerned. It has other pieced to attach to the rest of the phone but the screen is all I needed that for. I thought of taping up the rest of the phone and doing a light sand blast to make it less slick/shiny.
Yeah, I really dislike slick shiny surfaces. The flat black matte is a much less finger smudge magnet. Some people like the shiny look. I don't. I like the results of my little mod tho, it gave me the effect I was looking for, more or less anyway.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:09 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

the best way on the shiny surfaces and such like that is to use a 1500 grit sandpaper and just lightly sand until the shine dulls. (you will notice some shiny points still) than once you do that go to a 2000 grit wet sandpaper and smooth it out and get rid of the small shine spots.... than you can dye... the scratches not only help adhesion but will also make the color appear more uniform and crisp... any questions just ask, been painting vehicles for over 10 years and do the phone thang for almost 3. (if i dont answer in this thread send me a pm so i dont forget brudda)

take care and hope this helps some
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post
the best way on the shiny surfaces and such like that is to use a 1500 grit sandpaper and just lightly sand until the shine dulls. (you will notice some shiny points still) than once you do that go to a 2000 grit wet sandpaper and smooth it out and get rid of the small shine spots.... than you can dye... the scratches not only help adhesion but will also make the color appear more uniform and crisp... any questions just ask, been painting vehicles for over 10 years and do the phone thang for almost 3. (if i dont answer in this thread send me a pm so i dont forget brudda)

take care and hope this helps some
Thanks for the comments.
Yeah, I used the sandpaper to dull and rough it a bit. It was needed to get the dye to take. Then just soaked while stirring for 20 min with some liquid "rit"dye in very warm water. I was able to get rid of the verizon and htc logos and got a nice unbranded look to the back. Glad I tried it as I like the results even more this morning.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Imagio

shaunakadub is a n00b

Not my type of mod, but good job none the less!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio