PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

princem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to princem131 Send a message via Yahoo to princem131
Are Contacts linked to Facebook account synced?

I went through my phone book the first day I got it and meticulously linked all my contacts who are my Facebook friends (took forever, but I had serious cleaning to do migrating 100's of contacts over from my TP anyway).

I keep wondering once this info was synced to gmail? I know the contacts them selves have been synced, but if I hard reset my phone and then synced with my gmail again would the facebook linkage stay in place?

I noticed in my contacts on gmail all FB friends have some weird code in the notes section of their contact. Is this the necessary info to link them back to FB?

I have been really hesitant to do any hard resets because of this....

Also, if you flash a nandroid back up after a hard reset what all is restored? Would this save the FB links?

As of right now I love how I can flash away and hack my phone with complete confidence that I can restore it, the many FB links are the only thing I worry about, I really like having pics for everyone and its nice having the little FB info I actually care about right at my finger tips.

Check out my blog: http://brownhandstech.blogspot.com
Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

ToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good workToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Are Contacts linked to Facebook account synced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princem131 View Post
I went through my phone book the first day I got it and meticulously linked all my contacts who are my Facebook friends (took forever, but I had serious cleaning to do migrating 100's of contacts over from my TP anyway).

I keep wondering once this info was synced to gmail? I know the contacts them selves have been synced, but if I hard reset my phone and then synced with my gmail again would the facebook linkage stay in place?

I noticed in my contacts on gmail all FB friends have some weird code in the notes section of their contact. Is this the necessary info to link them back to FB?

I have been really hesitant to do any hard resets because of this....

Also, if you flash a nandroid back up after a hard reset what all is restored? Would this save the FB links?

As of right now I love how I can flash away and hack my phone with complete confidence that I can restore it, the many FB links are the only thing I worry about, I really like having pics for everyone and its nice having the little FB info I actually care about right at my finger tips.
I can't say with 100% certainty (although I'm at about 99.999%) that this is the case. The weird code in the notes section is, in fact, the link to their Facebook account. I believe there is a note that gets placed there if you add them to your "Favorites" section as well. I actually just wiped out my Exchange Account info on my Hero last night (unknowingly, as all I did was cleared the data from my email account to try and troubleshoot why the "Mail" app is so darn slow) and all my contacts sync'd right back up with their Facebook accounts and neatly arranged themselves back in their "Favorite" positions once everything was complete.

I don't know if the same would be true for syncing with Google, but I don't see why it would be different. As long as you don't have your account set up where the changes on the phone are the controlling sync the info contained in the notes section of your contact should remain and you should be golden.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:42 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

The nandroid restore will keep all contacts linked that were linked before the backup was performed (they do for me anyway)

To check for us do a nandroid backup, then wipe data, sync to gmail, See if they are all still linked, and let us know. If they aren't do a nandroid restore.

Also if you go to People > Updates and events(the one with a person and a refresh circle) at the top it will give you the option to sync all contacts with the Facebook person it is likely to be. Has been right 99% of time for me and you get to check before it happens.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Threadstarter

princem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to princem131 Send a message via Yahoo to princem131

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacounty View Post
The nandroid restore will keep all contacts linked that were linked before the backup was performed (they do for me anyway)

To check for us do a nandroid backup, then wipe data, sync to gmail, See if they are all still linked, and let us know. If they aren't do a nandroid restore.

Also if you go to People > Updates and events(the one with a person and a refresh circle) at the top it will give you the option to sync all contacts with the Facebook person it is likely to be. Has been right 99% of time for me and you get to check before it happens.
Sweet! Thanks thats good to know. I wish I had known that when I first got the phone before manually syncing all those people!!!! Oh well.... I wondered why that wasn't an option lol.

Edit: Man I hadnt even paid this tab much attention SOO useful!!! Thanks! Love this Phone!

Last edited by princem131; 12-02-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Kind of a BIG Deal
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

athlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to athlet1c Send a message via Yahoo to athlet1c Send a message via Skype™ to athlet1c

A few weeks ago i had an app that would grab the contact info of your friends facebook page (phone numbers , profile photo and email.When i flashed and rooted I couldn't remember the name . any idea's. it was sweet and free too lol
Thank a Fellow Geeker If you have been helped by hitting the button below
Old 12-02-2009, 05:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Hero - Fresh ROM

flipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlet1c View Post
stuff
Don't go changing your avatar without warning people. lol
Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Kind of a BIG Deal
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

athlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to athlet1c Send a message via Yahoo to athlet1c Send a message via Skype™ to athlet1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipzmode View Post
Don't go changing your avatar without warning people. lol
lol. my fault.......

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero