PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

safewithyou247 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: internet tethering with sprint htc hero

So, I spoke to several Sprint Reps in customer retention the other day regarding the tethering issue. It appears that Sprint was involved in a law suit over the fact that they allowed thier customers to tether with thier phones. Apparently other carriers were not allowed to do this per FCC bandwidth constraints. They specifically corrected this issue with the Everything plans. They do have the ability to allow your phone to tether, but their systems will automatically reset it back to being blocked.

Can anyone confirm this info?

If this is true, then Sprint will not allow tethering at all. This does not preclude the hackers from allowing it though. I am sure a way will come soon enough. For now, I use PDAnet and it works well for me.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero

mercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Well guys, looks like someone over at XDA figured out a way to tether without PDAnet.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=576199

Quote:
Setup: (This setup is not required but is what I have running when it works)
I downloaded HTC sync 2.0.4 from
http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportViewNew...31&news_id=222
Install HTC sync
Backup the Driver folder from Program File>HTC>HTC Driver
Now Uninstall HTC Sync, You only want to keep the Drivers for MNS.
Now plug in your phone go to Settings>Wireless controls
Turn on Mobile network
Turn on MNS or Mobile Network Sharing
It will try to connect but fail instead leave it. Now on the Computer it should ask to install the Android phone drivers, in this case choose manual install and point it to the drivers in the folder you just backed up.
If it doesn't ask you to install simply go to hardware management and install it manually from there.
Also I am running vista 32bit on my laptop.

Method:
Now this method works by taking advantage of a race condition in the phone.
Essentially you want to get MNS to establish a connection to your computer BEFORE the mobile network can establish a connection with internet. (Hence where signal strength and lag play a key roll)
Make sure wifi is turned off, make sure you are plugged into the computer and have installed the MNS drivers, I have USB debugging enabled but i don't think that makes a difference.

Steps:
1. Turn off Mobile Network and MNS
2. Go to Mobile network settings
3. Select Mode of Operation switch to 1x-only
4. Go back one page
5. Turn on Mobile network
6. Quickly Turn on MNS also
7. If MNS connects before Mobile network you should be tethered now If not turn off Mobile network and MNS and repeat steps 5-6.
8. If successfully tethered go back to Mobile network settings and turn Mode of Operation back to Evdo or Hybrid.

Hit me with some THANKS!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Gonna try that out later. Leave it to XDA to help the CDMA crowd too eh?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

thasolution is a n00b

I'm using the PDAnet to tether and not using HTC sync since they can not be run together. Once there is a better way I'll get rid of PDAnet but so far its the best way. I got the older version of PDAnet for Android which doesn't have the 30 day trial. You can do an google search and find the older version of PDAnet.

Last edited by thasolution; 11-07-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (iphone's daddy)

godspeed6 is a n00b

What's so bad about PDANet? Is it because it's a one-time pay app or is there some sort of monthly fee? How's the speed with PDANet? Is it as fast as the phone itself (i.e. browser) or is it degraded? Is direct tethering (if that's what it's called) faster and more stable or something? Never done tethering.

-Newbie Hero owner (from HTC TP w/ ROM mods)
Old 11-08-2009, 02:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero in the closet, EVO!

buck1623 is just getting started

nothing is wrong with pdanet, it is a one time charge after 30 days of usage, but it gets the job done... now that the hero is rooted, im sure apps will be available that will let you tether with a touch of a button...
Old 11-15-2009, 01:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

auto_exec is becoming a great contributor

You can now also turn your Hero into a wireless router using Wireless Tether (aka wifi tether).. previously was only working on the MoDaCo ROM, but the developer has released a new "pre-version" of Wireless Tether that works on the stock Sprint HTC Hero ROM (with root access, obviously)! As per user capnbry, "..the problem is that the gprs table has a default route on it, and it has a higher priority than main, which is where the wireless route goes. If you `ip route delete table gprs` after starting android.tether everything works like a charm." The developer has added this step into the program, and it works!

See the thread for details, or download the new "pre-version" here: http://android-wifi-tether.googlecod...1-pre1_htc.apk

Hope that helps!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

thorkon is a n00b

This works! I only rooted the phone and did not flash the modaco rom.

Auto_exec...have my babies

Also Tha county you will want to add this to the tips/tricks thread. I would quote autoexec and put it in there but I'm sure you will see this lol.

Last edited by thorkon; 11-15-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Hero

VoXHTC is just getting started

Yeah, I just gave up after 30 minutes. All I get is a black screen that says "Su Request" and nothing ever happens. Quite annoying to be honest. I just uninstalled it as I couldn't find ANY information on an empty screen with "SU Request" at the top. Apparently I'm the only one. Yes my phone is rooted. SUFBS runs fine and I have access to all folders.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_exec View Post
You can now also turn your Hero into a wireless router using Wireless Tether (aka wifi tether).. previously was only working on the MoDaCo ROM, but the developer has released a new "pre-version" of Wireless Tether that works on the stock Sprint HTC Hero ROM (with root access, obviously)! As per user capnbry, "..the problem is that the gprs table has a default route on it, and it has a higher priority than main, which is where the wireless route goes. If you `ip route delete table gprs` after starting android.tether everything works like a charm." The developer has added this step into the program, and it works!

See the thread for details, or download the new "pre-version" here: http://android-wifi-tether.googlecod...1-pre1_htc.apk

Hope that helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorkon View Post
This works! I only rooted the phone and did not flash the modaco rom.

Auto_exec...have my babies

Also Tha county you will want to add this to the tips/tricks thread. I would quote autoexec and put it in there but I'm sure you will see this lol.
I thought people knew about this haha. Will add. Thanked.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero