PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

AcousticBruce is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Understanding all this tech talk.

It took me hours and hours to figure out what is going on with winmo devices and roms.

Well I just received a Hero and I am lost again. SO I have some basic questions.

It seems there is a lot of HOW-TO threads. I just want to know why.
I have a goal to repost these answers for a general guide on how to understand in a quickerway for a potential sticky. So I will keep asking questions in this thread. Thank you all for the help, you folks are amazing.

What I want to accomplish
-I want the fastest most responsive rom on my device.
-I want tethering both usb and wifi.
-I want beautiful software like <a href="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=828332">this</a>
-Auto compression of higher mp pictures for picture mail (if possible)
-syncing via USB to outlook like Windows Device Manager. (no cloud server or exchange)

What I do know / My questions
1) What does rooting accomplish?
2) If I have a higher software version then what the explanations say what do I do?
3) What does nandroid do and why?
4) Wiping and why?
5) What is the difference between custom kernals and roms? How do they compare?

Last edited by AcousticBruce; 11-24-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVo

subprime is keeping up the good worksubprime is keeping up the good work
Re: Understanding all this tech talk.

I am kind of in the same boat as you and since I probably can't explain everything correctly, I will try to point you in the write direction.

Quote:
I want the fastest most responsive rom on my device
Coming from wm I think you would agree that no one could ever agree 100% on which rom is the fastest. Try em out and find the one that works the best for you.

There is a post in the general android section called "Android 101" which is a good place to start and may answer some of your questions. Check the tips and tricks thread here and be sure to take a look at the hero section on xda. It seems a little more active than the one here and you should be able to find the answer to all of your questions there.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: A Perma-Temp Rooted HTC EVO 3D

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticBruce View Post
Quote:
this is a term derived from the Linux operating system meaning you have full access and complete conterol
Quote:
2) If I have a higher software version then what the explanations say what do I do?
depending on what explanations your talking about there are usually others explanations refering you on what to do
Quote:
this one im not too sure of myself
Quote:
4) Wiping and why?
similar to winmo sometimes it will clear up a few hicups and depending on what your installing you better off doing it only a clean slate rather than "painting a picture a page with a bunch of araser marks"
Quote:
with custom kernals you have many options. again with linux its based on kernals rather than registries like windows. most popular mods to the kernals consists of overclocking to increase performance and undervolting to save battery

Im sure there may be others that can offer greater detail to the answers if you need it
Old 11-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Flashed to cricket)
Carrier: cricKet

whitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticBruce View Post
It took me hours and hours to figure out what is going on with winmo devices and roms.

Well I just received a Hero and I am lost again. SO I have some basic questions.

4) Wiping and why?
1) root will provide administor permissions
2) after root you can move to different os versions up or down.
3) nandroid is a full backup also allows custom backups.
4) wyping clears all user data programs etc and restores back to original.
5) some custom ROMs are built to use certain kernels and also built with certain carriers in mind. Others are generic and basic.
Some are built for speed programs ease of use looks etc. It's all up to the user.

Sent from my cricket Hero CDMA using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Nandroid is the equivalent to a system restore on a Windows OS..at any rate, not to be a downer, but all the info you seek has been asked dozens of times and stickied. I love this site and would never deter anyone from it, but for Hero info I suggest you read up over at XDA..then bring that info here and share it. All the development is carried on over there.

"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher"..wmdunn
"I am Mulhiny and I'm a phone junkie"..Riley

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero