PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Viewpad 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

ggraysonlv is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WiFiRouter and WMWifiRouter hotspots invisible on Viewpad 7

I've been using WMWifiRouter's hotspot on my HD2 for over a year with scarce problems, ably serving as my home computer's Internet connection. I just bought a Viewpad 7 tablet~smartphone, and want to similarly tether it to my HD2 wirelessly. Nothing I do on either device makes the HD2's wifi router visible to the Viewpad 7's wireless networks list. Lots of other wifi networks are visible on the Viewpad 7, so I know it is working OK. I also downloaded and installed the free XDA version (WiFiRouter cab) with the same result. Any geek help would be appreciated.

Also (a separate question), in WMWifiRouter, the Cellular-to-Bluetooth option is greyed out. Is there any reason this wireless method shouldn't work on the HD2? Is there some setting I've neglected to change? I've been using BT for over a year on my HD2 to connect to my BT earpiece (Plantronics Backbeat - very functional, btw). Using the BT connection would even be superior to the Wifi solution, since it would be paired and it also draws less power and creates less heat-up on the HD2.

Last edited by ggraysonlv; 12-14-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: Sprint

woldemariam is a n00b
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: WiFiRouter and WMWifiRouter hotspots invisible on Viewpad 7

your windows mobile creates adhoc WiFi, which supported by full blown OS, like windows xp. android does not recognize this type of network. however, iOs devices can see ad hoc.

the only tablet on the market that can see the network created on your hd2 is the iPad

Last edited by woldemariam; 12-12-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ggraysonlv is a n00b
Question Re: WiFiRouter and WMWifiRouter hotspots invisible on Viewpad 7

Oh. Darn. That is bad news. Hmmm... what if I changed my HD2 to run Android (I see lots of forum activity that seems to say that is superior and relatively easy to do, am I right?) If I do that, is there an Android app for the HD2 that would create a wifi hotspot that the Viewpad 7 can see? Surely there's a solution for these 2 pieces of hardware. I'd rather not have to get a SIM with cell phone service for the Viewpad 7, because that's a $30+ a month "solution".

Last edited by ggraysonlv; 12-12-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp2

woldemariam is a n00b
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i have never owned an android device but i believe it can create infrastructure WiFi, which is what you need. so do some Google and you should find your answer

ps. the bluetooth option is greyed out also on my touch pro 2. why that is i have no clue
Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

There are 2 ways to approach this:

1) Load up android on your HD2 and do infrastructure tethering.

2) Root your tablet and do a wpa_supplicants patch and your tablet will see adhoc networks.

up to you which path to take.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

U can also load up wp7 mango on ur HD2. WP mango also supports infrastructure WiFi. Its sad that android cannot natively support adhoc WiFi as my xbox didn't have any problems seeing my tp2 back when I tethered with that method.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
U can also load up wp7 mango on ur HD2. WP mango also supports infrastructure WiFi. Its sad that android cannot natively support adhoc WiFi as my xbox didn't have any problems seeing my tp2 back when I tethered with that method.
Because ad-hoc is old technology that was equivalent to a hack job made quickly to address peer to peer communication. It has many flaws and isn't very secure due to highest it has is WEP. The new standard that replaces AD-HOC is Wifi Direct which is in Android 4.0 and latest Samsung devices running 2.3/4.X
Old 12-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ggraysonlv is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
There are 2 ways to approach this:
1) Load up android on your HD2 and do infrastructure tethering.
2) Root your tablet and do a wpa_supplicants patch and your tablet will see adhoc networks.
up to you which path to take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
Both gTen's and eric's answers are hopeful. Probably the superior technical solution is to make my HD2 deliver infrastructure WiFi, either by "upgrading" its OS to WP7 or Android. I'll be searching for detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to do this, so I don't brick the HD2; I'm a genuine newbie to doing hacks.

By the way, if the moderator or someone can create a new forum in the "android-other-manufacturers" sub-forum for Viewsonic Viewpad 7, I think that would be helpful. Can this thread be copied or aliased there to start it off?
Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 AM
dongshang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

ViewSonic ViewPad 7 are generally open to change the default settings do not need to search for unlimited WIFI signal routing should be able to confirm the password

I just bought the day before yesterday. Very good, better than Apple's poor. SD card, card and computer connections. Even without the machine. Even copy some computer movie songs generally. Software on the machine, then you can go shopping comes with software, free of charge. Home is best to have WI-FI. Coupled with a Bluetooth headset.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

and about the bluetooth , WMWiFiRouter doesn't support HTCs bluetooth , its not the original microsoft bluetooth stack . (I forget exactly the type) but they like to be different . I've tried flashing different firmware but upon much testing I'm safe to say its a hardware problem that cannot allow microsofts bluetooth stack to work . on my HTC touch pro 2 I have the same problem . however on my HP iPaq 211 handheld it is no greyed out .

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2