PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo Shift 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Got mine!

WOW thank you. I think I like the idea of 3.6" screen more than 4.x. The TP2 is big enough. If the other phones like the EVO/Epic had higher resolution then I'd think about it, but 480x800 is 480x800 whether it's on a 3.5" screen or a 4.6" screen (as long as my eyesight holds up).

Does it have a notification light? This is actually an important feature for me as I don't use email audio notifications but I like to know when something comes through without having to turn on the phone screen.

I suspect this phone will get less of a developer following than the EVO because it's not "latest and greatest". But it does look very interesting to me, particularly with Windows Phone so dreadfully far behind in apps and usability (no copy/paste, and I actually use SSH and FTP on my TP2, something not available with WP yet). I think it will be at least a year before any WP CDMA handset (HD7 Pro) comes anywhere near this in the unique combination of hardware and software I'm looking for.

I may give the local radio shacks a call and see if they have one. I know this is a general FAQ, but if I'm unhappy with the EVO Shift 4G, I can return it within 30 days and go back to my standard Everything Data 450 plan (no $10 4g fee), right? The 4G coverage in my area ends about 50 yards from my friggin' house...I'm wondering if that means I'd have a shot at getting 4g or I have to walk down the street.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Some other questions...

1. Does it happen to use the same battery as the TP2?

2. Does it have/need a reset button (LOL you can tell I'm a WM faithful).

3. Is there "play" between the sliding halves when the keyboard is closed? The TP2 can be wiggled and pulled apart slightly. I know this is typical as I've owned a few sliding KB phones, but I'm curious how the EVO Shift feels in this regard since it is kind of unsettling.

4. Can you run a sharp metal object across your screen and let me know if it scratches?

Last edited by haus; 01-07-2011 at 12:08 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

1. Probably. The EVO does.

2. No, not needed. This is android.

3. I've never seen a slider that doesn't have "play" in it. It's not a finely engineered German car, it's a consumer phone that gets abused by the masses.....

4. If you are asking if it's "Gorilla Glass" then no. I don't believe HTC has adopted that yet. Do you regularly run sharp metal objects across your screen when you use it?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
3. I've never seen a slider that doesn't have "play" in it. It's not a finely engineered German car, it's a consumer phone that gets abused by the masses.....
Fair, but the TP1 was worse than the TP2 (on mine, at least), and I wonder if the lack of tilt function allows it to be tighter or if any new developments have made it better.

Quote:
4. If you are asking if it's "Gorilla Glass" then no. I don't believe HTC has adopted that yet. Do you regularly run sharp metal objects across your screen when you use it?
No, but I despise screen protectors. Though the AT&T ones for the TP2 weren't all that bad. I leave the phone in a front pocket with nothing else in it.

Another question - does the speakerphone turn on automatically when you face-down the phone on a table like the TP2 does?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

krazyfiend is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
1. Probably. The EVO does.

2. No, not needed. This is android.

Pretty much on point..

1. Certainly does...It's behind the Mic grill and is much more noticeable than the TP2's indicator

2. Nope, doesn't really need it. Been sucking down 4g and had the screen on constantly all morning long, tons of network traffic and switching onto & off of wireless...barely putting a dent in the battery usage. I'm impressed.

1500ma/h battery (might have the designation wrong there) is definitely running the 800mhz processor smoothly (will see how it does when overclocked like a g2...with the second gen hummingbird processor, it should do just fine even when OC'd)

3. Slightest play of any slider Ive hard... and I had the 6700, 6800, TP1, TP2, and Epic for a few days. Honestly, it's as close to 'no play' as you can get. Although it doesnt have the Z-hinge of the G2, this slide does the job and is a surprise to anyone I show the phone to (the fact it is a slider isn't all that evident to the non-phone geek).

5. HTC isn't on board w/ GG , yet. Rumored for the next ver of the big boy Evo...but honestly...this thing is rock solid feeling. A far cry from the feel of a Epic when slightly squeezed. The screen seems durable..... but I did opt to put a Zagg protector on because I have no intention of putting a case on this thing. I really don't have any qualms with taking it off after a few months as the screen seemed fine with it off. Just first few week jitters/wanting to maintain, ya know?

----

additional question...

Speakerphone on this thing is B.A. Clarity and pickup of the Mic (for regular calls and on speakerphone) kills the TP2 from my initial tests.

I did not try the setting down to switch to speakerphone thing, but it does have the proper hardware to be able to do it with the proximity/light sensor being very on point in terms of bringing away from your head, etc.

I give the speakerphone a few more goes and try out the nifty option we had on the TP2 stock (im sure if its not built in oem, there a widget or background app that can make it happen)

This thing has no trouble juggling a multitude of running app's...ive had very little need to go 'task' manage anything.

Last edited by krazyfiend; 01-07-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Thanks again to both of you. I have seen the links for the EVO (original) screen "test" this guy Roman G did, and it seemed to come out pretty well. I am used to resistive screens, of course, which have a thin flexible plastic layer over them and scratch very easily. Capacitive screens are solid glass on the front, which makes them much more resistant to scratching.

Again I really appreciate your answering questions here...krazyfiend we have pretty much the same phone history...mine has a few quertybar phones tossed in there as well.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Hmm...one local radio shack thinks they aren't supposed to sell them until the 9th. I explained some RS's are selling them and he's going to check with the manager and let me know.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

krazyfiend is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
Hmm...one local radio shack thinks they aren't supposed to sell them until the 9th. I explained some RS's are selling them and he's going to check with the manager and let me know.

I'd politely show them this, if they are not yet informed...

Twitter / RadioShack: Get your @Sprint HTC EVO S ...

and the fact BB is selling them right now too, do they want your business or not?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Just got back from the store...was no problem. I checked out the EVO while in store and decided it was indeed bigger than I want.

Last edited by haus; 01-07-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

I love my evo but seriously miss the keyboard. I've had the TP1, TP2, Pre, EVO. Evo was the first I've ever had without a keyboard and tho I "make do", without it, I am seriously considering swapping for the Shift just for the keyboard factor. I'll probably wait until it has been rooted tho.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo Shift 4G