PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Intertelecom

Aids82 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Use Sprint HTC EVO 4G in other Carrier

Hi All,
Happened that I have bought Sprint hTC evo 4G. I live not in the USA and want to use the phone in our local carrier. So the question is how can I unlock it?
I have read much of information on this forum also but it is still not clear for me what exactly should I do with the phone. There are a lot of actions described like:
1. get root access
2. unlock nand protection and so on

But which actions are required for me?

Moreover these actions are different for different versions of hboot and software.
I have a following configuration:
hboot: v2.10
hardware: 0004
software: 2.2

Help me please, explain what I have to do? Will appreciate if you give me links to instructions for my versions.

Thanks in advance, Alex
Old 08-24-2011, 09:57 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Use Sprint HTC EVO 4G in other Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aids82 View Post
Hi All,
Happened that I have bought Sprint hTC evo 4G. I live not in the USA and want to use the phone in our local carrier. So the question is how can I unlock it?
I have read much of information on this forum also but it is still not clear for me what exactly should I do with the phone. There are a lot of actions described like:
1. get root access

Moreover these actions are different for different versions of hboot and software.

Help me please, explain what I have to do? Will appreciate if you give me links to instructions for my versions.

Thanks in advance, Alex
read/read/read

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-4g...roms-wipe.html
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 3 & Evo 5G
Carrier: Sprint

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aids82 View Post
Hi All,
1. get root access

Thanks in advance, Alex
You will need to be rooted as you already said in your list of items.
Based on the information you provided, you should root with unrevoked. This will give you root access and unlock hand.

You will need your MSL, which can be obtained after you acquire root. After you acquire root, connect your device via wifi to the android market and download MSL READER by ESCcode, run the app and you will have your MSL.

Some call this code a SPC (Service Programming Code), MSL (Master Subsidy Lock), or Sprint ofter just refers to it as a "six-digit code" (this is to the fact that it is infact a six-digit code.) Do not bother asking others for their MSL because there is only a 1 in 1,000,000 chance that they have the same code as you.

As far as getting it to work on a non-us carrier, it is up to the non-us carrier as to whether or not you will be allowed to activate a Sprint ESN number.

Depending on what country you are in, this may be a common endeavor. If so, your local corner cell shop should be able to offer guidance, however possibly for a fee.

It is however likely that you may be required to do an "ESN Repair," for which we can not offer guidance on this forum. Your best bet for that, is again one of your local cell phone shops.

It always intrigues me how people come into this situation, where they "bought" a Sprint Phone and want to activate it on another network. Why not buy a device from that network?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Intertelecom
Threadstarter

Aids82 is a n00b

Thanks all of you for help.
I was in Carrier office and they did everything by their self. As guy (which activated my phone in the my local network) said, only SPC code is required, and he got it using some special utility.
The reason of why I did not buy the phone in my carrier store is simple - money. The difference between what I got from ebay and what I would get here is more than $100.

Anyway will get root access to the phone to remove all sprint apps.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: windows
Carrier: boost mobile

grouchypants09 is a n00b

ok i need help i have my evo rooted with revolutionary.io and i want to flash it over to boost i have a bb 8330 and a rambler as my donor phones please let me know the steps to take in detail to get this done please i just want this shit to work lol thanks in advance you can pm me so we wont worry bout not using the correct terms or even text me just pm me for my number thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchypants09 View Post
ok i need help i have my evo rooted with revolutionary.io and i want to flash it over to boost i have a bb 8330 and a rambler as my donor phones please let me know the steps to take in detail to get this done please i just want this shit to work lol thanks in advance you can pm me so we wont worry bout not using the correct terms or even text me just pm me for my number thanks
This area of the forum is not about BBs or Ramblers. We do no instruct on ESN repairs on this forum.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

"It always intrigues me how people come into this situation, where they "bought" a Sprint Phone and want to activate it on another network. Why not buy a device from that network? "

let me list thy ways my friend.

I want to use an EVO on boost. boost does not sell the evo or I would have just bought one.

I want to use an EVO on sprint. Sprint does not sell the evo for sprint they only sell the evo for newer sprint $90 a month or higher ($70 everything plan $10 4g plan (I don't even want 4g) and $10 smart phone plan.)

all for a plan with EXACTLY the same settings and features as my current plan. the ONLY difference is more than double almost triple the price tag for NOTHING.

SO there you go. 2 clear easy simple reasons why someone would want to "put" an evo "they got" onto their carrier plan.

all without doing anything illegal or questionable (yet)

I understand we can't discuss esn repair here (and I agree that is NOT a topic for this forum)

but this statement

"It always intrigues me how people come into this situation, where they "bought" a Sprint Phone and want to activate it on another network. Why not buy a device from that network? "

DIRECTLY implies malfeasance or "evil intent" on the part of the requester for NO GOOD OR VALID REASON AT ALL.

the carrier should have NO SAY on what hardware I buy and use so long as that hardware does not harm the network or use services outside of what my plan already allows.

android handsets use LESS DATA for a heavy user than my WM handset. the reason is insanely simple as to why. PUSH. push means I don't need apps constantly going out and check connection and downloading bytes. the data comes to me when its ready.

that and the programs are mobile OPTIMIZED ie sleeker smaller data foot print.

my data usage went DOWN over a GB per month since switching to Android on my TP2.

there is one reason and one reason ONLY that the carrier wants this control. to force you to pay more money for PRECISELY the same exact service.

now if you want to have them SPONSOR your upgrade (IE subsidize your purchase)

OK I have no problem with the carrier settings these terms.

but when I purchase the hardware OUTRIGHT the carrier (sprint in this case) should have NO SAY AT ALL.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post

let me list thy ways my friend.

I want to use an EVO on boost. boost does not sell the evo or I would have just bought one.

I want to use an EVO on sprint. Sprint does not sell the evo for sprint they only sell the evo for newer sprint $90 a month or higher ($70 everything plan $10 4g plan (I don't even want 4g) and $10 smart phone plan.)

all for a plan with EXACTLY the same settings and features as my current plan. the ONLY difference is more than double almost triple the price tag for NOTHING.

SO there you go. 2 clear easy simple reasons why someone would want to "put" an evo "they got" onto their carrier plan.

all without doing anything illegal or questionable (yet)

I understand we can't discuss esn repair here (and I agree that is NOT a topic for this forum)

but this statement

DIRECTLY implies malfeasance or "evil intent" on the part of the requester for NO GOOD OR VALID REASON AT ALL.

the carrier should have NO SAY on what hardware I buy and use so long as that hardware does not harm the network or use services outside of what my plan already allows.

android handsets use LESS DATA for a heavy user than my WM handset. the reason is insanely simple as to why. PUSH. push means I don't need apps constantly going out and check connection and downloading bytes. the data comes to me when its ready.

that and the programs are mobile OPTIMIZED ie sleeker smaller data foot print.

my data usage went DOWN over a GB per month since switching to Android on my TP2.

there is one reason and one reason ONLY that the carrier wants this control. to force you to pay more money for PRECISELY the same exact service.

now if you want to have them SPONSOR your upgrade (IE subsidize your purchase)

OK I have no problem with the carrier settings these terms.

but when I purchase the hardware OUTRIGHT the carrier (sprint in this case) should have NO SAY AT ALL.
I did not mean to offend anybody with my thoughts. I have seen in forums over the years, where people have directly implied that the "phone" they are repairing was either "found" or flagged as being reported "lost or stolen" to the carrier. I see many people on eBay selling brand new phones with bad ESNs. (I would also like to know why there are so many NIB phones with bad ESNs.)

I do understand the whole point about Sprint charging more for using the EVO 4G, and I suppose that is an easy way to bypass the Premium Device Fee (or as I call it the Extortion Fee).

I suppose that there are people who purchase an EVO 4G for activating it on Boost or other 3rd party. I wonder how many of those people bought an ESN that is clean and clear at full retail, non-subsidized prices.

I can even understand how one would likely choose the one with a bad ESN, as they do not need the ESN anyway, since it is no valid on their 3rd party carrier.

This leads to my original thought and concern, as to why the ESN is bad to begin with.

About eight years ago, I did an ESN repair on a Sanyo 5500, so it thought it was a Sanyo 5600. The original Sanyo 5500 and the 5600 had clean ESN's (they still do.) I only "repaired" the 5500 to keep turned off in my glove box, in case I lost, forgot, etc... my 5600 at home.

None of this changes the fact that it is technically illegal, regardless of why you are doing it. I also understand, that when the law was made, that the intent was not the same. I believe the original intent was to prevent someone from "repairing" their phone with the ESN of someone else's phone with the intent to avoid paying for services. I may be wrong, but I don't think that this is common anymore.

If I did offend you, I apologize.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

nono not charging more for evo 4g. charging more for ANY PHONE NEWER THAN TP2 besides a "dumb phone"

ie an excuse to force people to give up their nice old legacy accounts.

why are so many bad esn phones on ebay and cl? (I bought 2 of them they are WONDERFUL wifi tablets for $75-$80 a pop)

easy. they sign up with this wonderful amazing incredible android monster and then can't afford the first $200 bill that comes in.

they default. sprint blacklists the ESN (bad esn)

I agree its illegal. but its not immoral and as long as you do not cross that moral line I do not think any jury would ever convict you if your lawyer has 10 working brain cells.

if I do this "questionably legal" thing I would only do it with a pair of phones BOTH with CLEAN ESN's

since if you default on an account sprint has a legit reason to not want that phone active on their services till that "debt" is paid. to me that crosses the moral line.

while its NOT stolen property its "close" to the moral concept is changing a vin on a stolen car to hide its "stolen" status.

but if they are both CLEAN ESN's there is no moral issue for me. my hardware my plan my money. I am not "taking" more than I already have so sprints opinion does not really count to me.

Cloning laws were for what you states. to prevent fraud. now they are abused as bludgeons to enforce improper rules by carriers. the courts ARE slowly coming around to this abuse and limiting it. About darned time.

What gals me is I did not TAKE this "special" account I have from sprint. THEY OFFERED IT TO ME. they sent me this pretty glossy slick card and said HEY you want this?

I said $36 a month (with taxes) for what is essentially unlimited everything including evdo data?

ahh yeah did not take me long to say YES sprint I would like to take you up on that offer.

NOW sprint wants to rescind that offer and that is not right. want to not offer it to new people? sure want to not offer subsidies to keep these old plans? sure.

but to tell me I am HARDWARE RESTRICTED for absolutely no other reason than "they can" should not be legal. Especially since that was NOT the terms they signed me under the plan for. they should be required to HONOR the bulk intent of their contracts for as long as "I wish" and they are "solvent" and not hide behind the "we reserve the right to change these terms" clauses to sc$$w people over.

thats just not right.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
nono not charging more for evo 4g. charging more for ANY PHONE NEWER THAN TP2 besides a "dumb phone"

ie an excuse to force people to give up their nice old legacy accounts.

why are so many bad esn phones on ebay and cl? (I bought 2 of them they are WONDERFUL wifi tablets for $75-$80 a pop)

easy. they sign up with this wonderful amazing incredible android monster and then can't afford the first $200 bill that comes in.

they default. sprint blacklists the ESN (bad esn)

I agree its illegal. but its not immoral and as long as you do not cross that moral line I do not think any jury would ever convict you if your lawyer has 10 working brain cells.

if I do this "questionably legal" thing I would only do it with a pair of phones BOTH with CLEAN ESN's

since if you default on an account sprint has a legit reason to not want that phone active on their services till that "debt" is paid. to me that crosses the moral line.

while its NOT stolen property its "close" to the moral concept is changing a vin on a stolen car to hide its "stolen" status.

but if they are both CLEAN ESN's there is no moral issue for me. my hardware my plan my money. I am not "taking" more than I already have so sprints opinion does not really count to me.

Cloning laws were for what you states. to prevent fraud. now they are abused as bludgeons to enforce improper rules by carriers. the courts ARE slowly coming around to this abuse and limiting it. About darned time.

What gals me is I did not TAKE this "special" account I have from sprint. THEY OFFERED IT TO ME. they sent me this pretty glossy slick card and said HEY you want this?

I said $36 a month (with taxes) for what is essentially unlimited everything including evdo data?

ahh yeah did not take me long to say YES sprint I would like to take you up on that offer.

NOW sprint wants to rescind that offer and that is not right. want to not offer it to new people? sure want to not offer subsidies to keep these old plans? sure.

but to tell me I am HARDWARE RESTRICTED for absolutely no other reason than "they can" should not be legal. Especially since that was NOT the terms they signed me under the plan for. they should be required to HONOR the bulk intent of their contracts for as long as "I wish" and they are "solvent" and not hide behind the "we reserve the right to change these terms" clauses to sc$$w people over.

thats just not right.
The blacklisted EVOs that I am talking about are not the ones that were used for a month...they appear to be brand new, unopened devices:

like this one:

SEALED BAD ESN NEW HTC EVO 4G Android 4.3LCD FAST SHIP | eBay

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G