PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Older than Dirt!
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: sprint

Thundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (htc 6800: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

In the Sprint newsletter, they said WiFi uses less battery so you should use it whenever you can. In the coffee shop, at the gym to listen to music, etc.
Is this true?? Or is this just to get us to use less of their bandwidth?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: wifi saves battery?

I would bet it is to use less of their bandwidth and to offer faster speeds in all of their markets that don't have 4G yet.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM
VIP Member
Carrier: Sprint

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

A reliable WiFi connection would probably use less battery than an unreliable 3G/4G. Acquiring and managing a signal uses a lot of energy.

I stream talk radio at work for 6 hours a day(3G/4G). I called Tech Support in January about an unrelated matter and she noted that I was an "excessive" bandwidth user. Though I did not ask, I go the impressioin that my account was flagged since she pointed it out so quickly.

I can understand their concern. Sprint has to buy that bandwidth and their profit is based on margin.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Older than Dirt!
Threadstarter

Thundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the community

Hehe
Thats my thoughts too. In that newsletter, it also said that "4G is now available in your town!" Check the coverage area (click here).
So I went to the coverage map, sure enough, there it was... a tiny tiny tiny blue dot! The size of maybe 2 houses when you zoom in... in an area in the middle of the golf course....
PERFECT!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

jj14x is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post

I stream talk radio at work for 6 hours a day(3G/4G). I called Tech Support in January about an unrelated matter and she noted that I was an "excessive" bandwidth user. Though I did not ask, I go the impressioin that my account was flagged since she pointed it out so quickly.
I hope they didn't ask you to reduce usage or something like that... they are among the very few carriers left that market web usage on the smartphones as being truly 'unlimited'...AT&T & TMo were the first to go - and sounds like VZN is scheduled to start that this summer.

I am not a heavy bandwidth user - less than 1Gig a month on 3G (more usage on wifi), but when I travel, I like the assurance that they (Sprint) aren't going to cap/throttle.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Wifi does save on battery life since your device does not have to constantly search for a 3g/4g signal. I learned this when I had a Palm Pre as my primary device. I noticed that if I kept my wifi on and allowed my device to connect to any open network, my battery would last longer.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:57 PM
VIP Member

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

It would be cool if someone wrote a daemon that would look for open WiFi and automatically connect when in range. Treat WiFi as another tower, so to speak.

My problem is with WunderRadio. It does not successfully transition from one media to another. I may be listening to the radio on Wifi in the house and as I walk to the car I am dropped and I have to exit WunderRadio and reacquire.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 3G?

twilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stuff

2nd wifi has been proven to save battery life on the Evo as well. I am sure Sprint has alterior motovies lol but that asside yes wifi as long as the connection isnt in and out saves battery life.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:46 AM
Older than Dirt!
Threadstarter

Wirelessly posted (htc 6800: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That's good news!
I'm going to use WiFi in the house now. Until 4g comes that is...
Old 03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

coppertop24 is becoming a great contributor

Yes, wifi does improve battery life. I leave my wifi on while at home and get almost 2 full days out of my Evo. I also noticed a great battery improvement when I switched over to MikFroYo 4.30. My Evo just likes this one for some reason.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G