PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC DIA
Carrier: SPRINT

jgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuffjgatter knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up No Kidding, AMAZING battery life

Found this at XDA and have tried and I am not kidding, my battery life (at least with everything and not much phone usage) is like 3 times longer. It REALLY worked for me, so I wanted to share.

By the way, I am using it with the following rom (which so far worked the fastest and most flawless for me)
STOCK TURBO: [ROM] Stock Turbo *New 3.70.651.1 version* 12/20/2010 - Page 17 - xda-developers

Now for the battery AMAZING kernel:
[KERNEL][SENSE] - SBC. Update: 12/31/10! HTC kernel #15 SBC v7 - xda-developers

FROM XDA:

Thanks to Netarchy, Toast, Myn, and Hot_Hands. Big Thanks to NewZJ for helping me test this damn near all day for the past couple of days.

This kernel is based off of Netarchy's 4.2.1 Universal More Aggressive Kernel, so expect the same results when flashing this.

What I've been working on with this kernel is the charging aspect. Desire users have their battery tweak, so I've been working on one for us. With this kernel you'll be able to get the trickle charging experience you've always wanted. I slapped a WIP tag on this thread because although I have gotten this trickle charging to work, I still have some other things I need to iron out and also add.

Things need to fix:
-nothing!

Features:
-All of Netarchy's goodies
-Trickle Charging (AC & USB)
-Full battery charging. Charge your battery to maximum capacity
-Full battery charging for all extended batteries.
-Accurate measurement of voltage while on the charger. Usually on the charger on other kernels, the voltage will still read +4.193V even when the battery is draining on the charger. Now you get to see the draining, so when you pick up the phone in the morning and its not finished with its trickle charging session, you can wait a minute or two until it's done.
-You also no longer need to wipe battery stats.

With build 129, in order to get the best charging, you must leave it on the charger past 100% for more than 30 mins. In other words, the best charging experience happens overnight. Phone maintains a really cool temperature so when you pick it up in the morning, you will have to work real hard to drain the battery from 100%.

Lemme clear the air...

- I should clarify. If your phone is at 100% and you're using your phone on the charger, there's a possibility that it will turn off the charger. If your phone is not at 100% then there is absolutely no way the charger will turn off and you can use your phone all you want on AC or USB. And with USB, even if your phone is past 100% you can use it on the charger. So if you're hours upon hours past 100% and you decide to use your phone to do heavy duty work (surf the web for more hours, play some games, listen to some music, stream something), the charger may turn off.

You know when this is working when...

You know this is working when you're 30 minutes past 100% and you don't see any -mA's in the battery widget monitor app (go download from Market, it is free!). If you start seeing -mA's on the charger at any point while charging past 100%, the charger has turned off and this isn't working for you. The only reason the charger will turn off is if you go over the voltage limit. The only way you can possibly go over the voltage limit is if you are using your phone while charging on AC. That is the only way

Will this damage my battery?
This charging method doesnt damage the batteries at all. It shouldnt. Because our batteries dont even charge up to 4.2V without the tweak. They charge up to 4.2V the first charge, then drop all the way down to 4.08V or something and then does these weird short burst chargers to 4.1-4.125V. Thats why there's the rapid drop in the morning. Because your voltage is actually at 4.125V and that's not 100%. So with this tweak, the charger keeps charging until you're at 4.2V (or the maximum voltage your battery can get to) and then it trickle chargers while at that voltage. The charger itself never turns off. Thats not a bad thing. Because as you reach your actual voltage, the mA decreases. Which is why our phones will never be damaged. You ever want to know why its really easy to charge from 50-80% but the charge from 90-100% seems to take so long? Its because from 50% the mA going into the phone is in the 600's. Once it reaches 90%, the mA is around 150 and once it reaches 95% you're looking at 90mA. The phone when absolutely idle uses anywhere from 60-120mA, even when on the charger. So charging from 90% to 100% takes longer becaus the mA going into the phone isnt always higher than the mA you're losing. This is the same with charging past 100%. As you leave the phone on the charger with this tweak, you're mA will decrease from 50mA all the way down to 2mA overnight. But on the charger you're losing about 30-60mA already, so you'll never overcharge the battery, in best case scenarios, you'll just maintain the voltage of 4.2 or around 4.2V.

Download HTC KERNEL #15 v7
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Enjoy!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex
Carrier: Sprint

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: No Kidding, AMAZING battery life

Not really sure how you missed this but the thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-4g...tery-life.html which has been on the first page of the evo section since the thread was created has been talking about that same thread over at xda for a while now.

So with that being said, in before the lock!!

Last edited by themuffinman; 01-03-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 AM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: No Kidding, AMAZING battery life

Locked!

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G