PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

chandlerbs is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Simple questions I'm Sure....

OK, so I get an EVO and come to geeks to learn. I rooted the device and I am using OMJ's custom rom. And I have a couple questions.

#1 When rooting the device, I got a "radio error message" but the root appeared to go well and I have not had any problems using rooted apps with the exception of wireless tether.. I cannot seem to get it to work at all.

#2 When upgrading the custom ROM, I lose all installed apps that I have purchased and contacts and such. I realize that I havent actually lost them but is there a way to upgrade the ROM with current settings and contacts to remain in place?

I just restored the backup of OMJ to get my settings/configuration back till I get some help.

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP
Re: Simple questions I'm Sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbs View Post
OK, so I get an EVO and come to geeks to learn. I rooted the device and I am using OMJ's custom rom. And I have a couple questions.

#1 When rooting the device, I got a "radio error message" but the root appeared to go well and I have not had any problems using rooted apps with the exception of wireless tether.. I cannot seem to get it to work at all.

#2 When upgrading the custom ROM, I lose all installed apps that I have purchased and contacts and such. I realize that I havent actually lost them but is there a way to upgrade the ROM with current settings and contacts to remain in place?

I just restored the backup of OMJ to get my settings/configuration back till I get some help.

Thanks in advance...
Not sure about the radio error message but as far as upgrading a custom rom, if you upgrade a rom from the same chef generally all you have to do is wipe cache and dalvik twice for same measure but you don't have to do a full data wipe. That way all settings stay the same when you flash the new rom. Now if you are flashing a rom from a different chef then a full wipe is recommended as well as wiping cache and dalvik. Now if your contacts are saved under google then they will return once you sign on with your gmail account. You can also back everything up using titanium backup, now personally I only use titanium to back up apps with data associated with it. All my other settings I would rather set back up myself.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Also to add to your first question, with the latest sprint ota there are new radios associated with it so if you flash the latest omj rom which is based on the latest ota then you may need to flash the new radios since I don't think that omj's lates rom come with the radios. I have flashed a rom with the new ota base yet so I don't know for sure.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

There is a small flashable radio for EVO_PRI_1.90_003.zip I attached it.

First, install RA_AMON Recovery. I don't trust Clockworks wipes. The easiest was to install it is from Rom Manager (in the alternate recovery section).

Install Titanium and do a full back up.

I would next do a Nandroid Backup. That is done from Recovery. Then I would Double-Wipe Cache, Davlik and SDext.
I would flash the radio I mention and then the Rom. Now you can go into Titanium and restore the apps you want.
I would now reflash my ROM.

Go into Recovery an flash it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EVO_PRI_1.90_003.zip (154.5 KB, 0 views) Click for barcode!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G