PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

josh90265 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VLC Stream thru 4G w/ VPN

I have successfully been able to stream video files from my pc running vlc player thru VPN by using 4G connection to my HTC EVO. (I know its running thru a bunch of things, its just how I've been able to connect)

NOW, what I am trying to do is access my video files on my iMac, again using vlc and/or a VPN.
(--> I understand that it would be a lot easier to just store all my video files on a PC HDD and all my problems would be gone. And I will probably just do this, but I dont have a PC HDD with enough space just yet)

...But since I have all my files on a mac formatted HDD, I thought I'd go thru the trouble of trying to access the videos on my mac thru the Evo, again thru the 4G connection.

If anyone has any suggestions, please, (PLEASE!!) let me know if you've found any workaround to this dilemma.

Previous 4G Connection Hardware/Software Configuration
HTC EVO
-running 1VPN that is connecting to my external IP address
-running VLC stream and convert

PC (older Everex with AMD running XP)
-configured VPN
-Norton firewall with open ports:
-1723, 500, 47, 389, 443 (From what I've found you need these)

Linksys WRT54G
-Again, the ports from above are forwarded to the PC running vlc

Connecting:
-EVO connects to the PC VPN using 1VPN
-Open VLC stream and Convert and push the scan button which finds the pc running the vlc server.
-And Voila! Its able to browse the pc for videos to play!!

Thanks again guys
Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff
You don't need a vpn connection to use vlc s@c. I have it setup to just connect to my wan ip, and port foward the appropriate ports. Also it works fine over 3g.

Now to connect to the Mac try this see if it works. Share your media forlder on your Mac. Now on your pc, map your Mac shared folder to a drive letter. You should be able to access your videos on your Mac now.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2010, 12:06 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: VLC Stream thru 4G w/ VPN

i know VLC kind of plays anything and everything... but Winamp now does this as well ie streams to your phone..

Im not sure if winamp has any video file association issues or if everything is usable, but it may be worth a try..

and too bad PhoneMyPPC doesnt do sound, otherwise you could just Live View your PC and play the music like that
Old 12-09-2010, 04:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

josh90265 is a n00b
Mardukeme - I have tried sharing a mac folder and putting it on the pc desktop via network places and have had no luck actually seeing the files when accessing from the HTC evo. I can see the folder though. Again, this is using a vpn, it was the only way I found to actually connect. What ports did you forward?

Boredandtattoed - I'll look into Winamp

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

UPDATE
** Thanks guys. I gots it workin! sweeeeet

Last edited by josh90265; 12-09-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: updating
Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh90265 View Post

UPDATE
** Thanks guys. I gots it workin! sweeeeet
well please share what it took.. seems a few were interested in this as well
Old 12-10-2010, 07:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

josh90265 is a n00b

Alright,
Well the set up that I have right now is a little of a mess but for some reason it is working for me. In a perfect world I would make this A LOT simpler, just don't have the right tools at the moment ( that being a PC formatted external HDD )

So the setup contains a home network with a PC and a Mac.
-The Mac has an external hard drive(1TB) that I decided to backup all of my movie/video/apps onto because of the massive space.
-And the PC, which is an older model was (is) in the middle of being revived.

I was originally trying to use the app VLC stream and convert to access movies on the mac ext HDD via the VLC mac app being used as a server for the files. For some reason, this simple route was not working for me. So, then I read on to find that it was possible to create a VPN in order to add some security to the process. I read on to find that it was easier to create this on a PC (If anyone finds a better way for Mac, lemme kno). A VPN was created on the PC:
-Network Places > Network connections > Create new connection in the network tasks sidebar
-this website has some excellent info as well, helped me a lot: traveldevel.com

By using your external ip address found in your router, plug this ip address into your htc evo under wireless & networks in the VPN settings, or you can use something like 1VPN which you gotta pay for.

In doing this:
I was then able to search all the media files on my PC, of which were few.

My next thing was to try and access files on my Mac thru the PC by way of a shared network folder. So, I tried doing so and creating a simple network folder from the Mac and placing it on the PC desktop, tried connecting again to the VLC player and searching this folder and when clicked, showed an empty folder. It was not until mardukeme said to try and map this shared folder to a network drive that I was then able to access all my content on my Mac.
-->BUT, VLC player MUST be running on the mac. It does not need to be running on the PC. I am only using the PC in order to connect into the VPN which then enables me to access my local area network.

Again, I'm still at the drawing board with my "setup." I'm sure I can eliminate extraneous steps and/or/DEFINITELY hardware in the mix (once i get that damn HDD....But for now....its fun trying)

... I will continue this at a later time. Just got home from work. Lemme kno how your projects are goin.

-peace

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G