PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: is this
Carrier: a new req?

redsoxlobstah is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Is it possibleto remove Andriod completely?

First of all I did some searches...Is it possible to remove Android completely from my EVO? I know Ubuntu can run on it but it seems like the only way is a loop file system, which I think means that Andriod is required to mount the Ubuntu partition. As much as I love never evil Google, I'd like them out of my phone; the whole backdoor thing creeps me out. I can see the first response now "why would you want to..."...please spare me that one. I apprciate any responses and the 'Geeks' have my respects. Thanks for everything.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: Is it possibleto remove Andriod completely?

Why would you want to post that in upgrades?

Moved to Evo General
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:58 PM
xSD
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EViO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

xSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuff
Lmao

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: A Perma-Temp Rooted HTC EVO 3D

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

What Backdoor thing? Also what kind Ubuntu would you load on a device like this?
Old 08-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

fr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIP
Id recommend that you stay off the pot for a while. You seem a little paranoid. I could care less if someone is spying on me. My life is boring

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 3G?

twilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stuff

If you had an OS to load it would have to be from the ground up designed for the software in this phone and the cdma network. I am sure you could basicly mirror some of the codes/rules from android but even then thats just touching the base.

What if someone desided to make an oppen source phone OS like "linux phone" It would have most thing you need already you just need to have the ability to modify the code for whatever network you are on and you would have to modify the imaging for your screen size. The best part would be that the code would now be out there because lets face it with this someone is bound to creat and share.

I dont think that excists yet lol
Old 08-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAndroidN00b View Post
What Backdoor thing? Also what kind Ubuntu would you load on a device like this?
how to install Ubuntu on your Evo

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720622
Old 08-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Should have got an HD2.....

Let's face it, all phones spy. It's a matter of who you want to have your info; Apple, Google or Microsoft.

Sent from my fast as hell phone that you can only wish you had
Old 08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Why did you even bother to buy the EVO then? Shoulda shopped on ebay and got something less sinister like the sanyo 8400 flip phone for much less if your that paranoid....
Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

I'm sure there's a way to completely blow away Android and load something like Ubuntu... However (and I know you didn't want to hear this) why would you, unless you just want a 4.3" Linux Tablet that you can only use Wi-Fi on? Android is designed with phones in minds, Ubuntu is not. If you were to load Ubuntu you would likely lose all connectivity except for maybe W-Fi since you won't have extra layer of software to run CDMA/3G for phone calls and data. Not sure about Wi-Max, since newer kernels do have some built in support for it...

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
andriod, os, remove, ubuntu