PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

jj970 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Easy ROM changes

Ok, so what's the easiest way to update ROMs or change ROMs?

I'm running the newest OMJ deodexed 2.2 rom, but it seemed a pain to get it all going.

I had to do the whole "root" procedure again.

I had had an OMJ eclair running fine before. I couldn't find a quick way to just change ROMs.

I tried Clockwork, but couldn't seem to find the right way to do it. I tried it's "boot into recovery" option but just got the triangle exclamation point screen. I had to take the battery out and reset again.

I must have missed something in the massive fastRX7 tutorial...I read that post a bunch.

Please help. I know it's simple and I know I'm an idiot.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 PM
V.I.P
Pocket PC: 3VO for me, EVO for wife
Carrier: on the Now Network™ from Sprint®

00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Easy ROM changes

You just download the rom of your choice, drop it on the root of your storage card, Hold down volume down and power to boot into recovery, then update.zip and choose the rom on your storage card.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 AM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

sounds like you DIDN'T completely root your device. IF you cannot get into recovery the way it was described in the earlier post...I would suggest going thru the process again. Flashing ROMs on android is too easy...especially when you compare it to WinMo flashes.

When you reboot into recovery with Clockwork...you should NOT have any hiccups... did you "flash" the recovery where it asks you for your device? Should be the first selection once you get into the app. Have you kept your Clockwork mod updated??

Just a couple of things to look at...should be an easy fix.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVIL

SundayDuffer is just getting started

I used ROM Manager (free version from Market). Download the ROM you want to flash and paste that ROM on the root of SD card. Open up ROM Manager, choose "Install ROM from SD Card" and off you go.
Neat little app...you can reboot into recovery mode from the app also..there you can just use the volume button to navigate...
Anyhow, either way is fine..they both are very easy.

Those guys are probably right...you might want to flash your ClockworkMod Recovery again. BTW, you can do this with ROM Manager also.

Happy flashing.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc Evo4G
Carrier: sprint

arsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have had that happen and the fix was to reflash the recovery from inside the rom manager program. Sounds like you updated rom manager but didn't update the recovery or it was broken. Re do the recovery and you should be fine.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:37 PM
boostedbanana is VIP!!
Pocket PC: Supercharged EVO with 3000mah of boost!!

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

Yes, what they said. Soemthing didnt take on your end. It is awesome how easy it is to flash ROMs on Android!! I've been flashing on WinMo devices for years and while Android has been a learning curve for me, it is GREAT once you start understanding it all!!

Modding phones and modding Mustangs..
My white Evo with a black battery door is SEXY!!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

nuprotocol is keeping up the good worknuprotocol is keeping up the good worknuprotocol is keeping up the good work

When i flashed a 2.2 rom I was able to keep everything intact. If I drop another rom into the SD Card and flash it from recovery, does it just flash over my current 2.2 rom? Will my data still be in tact?
Old 08-28-2010, 06:12 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Threadstarter

jj970 is a n00b

Thank you sirs...you are all scholars and gentlemen.

I just did a total redo of the root process.

Then I did the reboot into recovery by pressing power on and volume down when my phone was off.

Voila, it worked...got the recovery screen and it allowed me to load a rom from SD.

So...my other question is...do I have to have it load the PC136img.zip file every time? Or can I rename it and not have it do all of that?

As it is now, it check the file, then asks if I want to update and I said "no".

Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

DCLocal is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj970 View Post
So...my other question is...do I have to have it load the PC136img.zip file every time? Or can I rename it and not have it do all of that?
You can rename or delete PC136img.zip, it will make things much faster next time you boot into recovery.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G