PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

BillJr106 is keeping up the good workBillJr106 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can we disable / turn off the HDMI port to gain FPS??

I was thinking, if the 30fps cap is because of the HDMI port, why not just have a slider that turns it on or off and caps / uncaps the FPS accordingly? Wouldnt that fix the problem? Or is that easier said than done?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO!!
Carrier: SPRINT

wbchristmas is becoming a great contributor
Re: Can we disable / turn off the HDMI port to gain FPS??

Hmmm... Good question!!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:10 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Well with the same thought in mind, why not just program the games and/or video out accordingly to use the driver appropriate to the application.

Meaning it should throttle or cut back depending on what you're doing.

There has to be some sort of limitation, either via hardware or software that caused them to set this limit in the first place, it just seems odd.

-CC
Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Why? I get 50 fps on my Novatek with HDMI on so why would you need a switch? I mean you need higher fps than that?

Droidrox39
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM
HTC Soldier
Pocket PC: EVO 3-1/2G
Carrier: Sprinter Cell

xweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIP

A resolution for increasing the FPS while maintaining HDMI functionality simultaneously has been found. See here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=719763

However a "switch" or app to enable/disable either would have been likely preferred by many on HTC's behalf...

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 4G
Threadstarter

BillJr106 is keeping up the good workBillJr106 is keeping up the good work

Does the resolution require rooting or hurt anything?? I cant believe something so quickly fixed was imposed by HTC... Does it hide stuttering or something??
Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

knives of ice is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJr106 View Post
Does the resolution require rooting or hurt anything?? I cant believe something so quickly fixed was imposed by HTC... Does it hide stuttering or something??
of course it requires rooting. the fix works great and improves things a ton.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xweaponx View Post
A resolution for increasing the FPS while maintaining HDMI functionality simultaneously has been found. See here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=719763

However a "switch" or app to enable/disable either would have been likely preferred by many on HTC's behalf...
i keep an eye on things a bit, in the hopes i own an EVO sooner than later.. but i think your wrong:

Important note for HDMI users
It is very likely that this fps fix will disable the use of the HDMI output on your EVO while you use this kernel. Personally I (and many MANY others I'm sure) feel that this is an acceptable tradeoff, particularly since most users will likely never use this feature.

**thats from your link** sounds like it fixes it on your device, but you lose ALL functionality of HDMIout
Old 07-22-2010, 02:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

knives of ice is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
i keep an eye on things a bit, in the hopes i own an EVO sooner than later.. but i think your wrong:

Important note for HDMI users
It is very likely that this fps fix will disable the use of the HDMI output on your EVO while you use this kernel. Personally I (and many MANY others I'm sure) feel that this is an acceptable tradeoff, particularly since most users will likely never use this feature.

**thats from your link** sounds like it fixes it on your device, but you lose ALL functionality of HDMIout
HDMI works now, they just didn't update that first post to remove that. it was fixed in the past few updates.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

regulator207 is just getting started

guys hdmi works with netarchy's kernel over at xda.

The initial release of the kernel broke hdmi. Then when they dug further into the code they realized they could use keep the hdmi but sacrifice 2-3fps. So that is what they did.

Old = ~55 fps without hdmi
New = ~53 with hdmi

Keep in mind the devs call this their "dirty" hack since it isnt just "lifting" a cap by a simple code edit. This just changed some of the math around so it would work and they are still looking for the bottleneck to completely remove the 30 fps cap.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G