PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: sprint

puttputt is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to tell if a new EVO has the latest OTA or not?

fellow ppcgeeks,

i've been slow to get around upgrading my sero plan to a modern one that allows me to run android phones. problem is, now that i have some free time to upgrade up to 3 of my lines to the EVO, i have read that this new OTA is creating all sorts of problems making it impossible to root.

so my question was (and i apologize in advance if it's been discussed and i missed the thread... been searching and reading for a couple hours), are there any telltale signs (on hardware, or is it only on software) when i go to a store that actually has an EVO or place an order for the EVO, that it SHIPPED with the latest OTA? i read and understand that it should have a software version that starts with 1.32 and baseband with 1.39 (and not have a 4 in it) or something like that, otherwise i'm hosed.

there seems to be a lot of misinformation with sprint store employees and radioshack employees that i've spoken with. most are all trying to say that they MUST update to the latest OTA during the activation process when i purchase.

also, would ordering from wirefly be a viable strategy? if the phone has the newest OTA, could i just send it back? i've never used wirefly, but i assume one unpacks the phone after it arrives, then calls sprint to begin the activation process? another point to consider... wirefly says shipment for EVOs are at about 3 weeks out currently. in 3 weeks, is it possible all EVOs ship with the latest OTA installed?

happy 4th, and thanks all,
puttputt

Last edited by puttputt; 07-05-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-04-2010, 05:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: Sprint

rocknrone is a n00b
Re: How to tell if a new EVO has the latest OTA or not?

I ordered my EVO(new contract) from Wirefly Thursday afternoon even though they said 2-3 weeks. They shipped it Saturday! Will be here Tuesday or Wednesday! I'll let you know if the update is on it or not. To try to find out about the update, I emailed them and asked if they activated my phone or if I would have to do it when it comes in, and they replied that I would have to call Sprint to activate. The only thing that concerns me is that they have already sent me my new phone number; I called it and it went to voicemail. I hope that update isn't on there.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the phone, someone will eventually crack it again, they always do.

if you go to a sprint store, just hold onto the device when they ask you to enter your gmail info. tell them you're in a hurry or something.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

puttputt is a n00b

ehnice, sounds like you caught a break! i am hesitant on placing an order with wirefly, because today i called and asked a CS rep how the activation process goes. he said that it is activated, but then shut off prior to shipment, so that when it arrives at my door, all i need to do is power on the EVO, and then it would be up and running. i asked him this question in several ways and asked if he was sure. but who the heck knows... consumers can't expect CS reps these days to be adequately trained. it doesn't matter if he was in the US or a foreign based call center imo.

anyway, i was hoping the activation process would be the case like you mentioned, rocknrone, where the end-user must call Sprint. does anyone know for sure? if the end-user calls Sprint, then that is a nice bonus, because you would be able to check whether the OTA has been applied before proceeding. i wanted to place an order for 2-3 to enjoy the 4th of july BCB, but will probably just hold off. time to head out for some fireworks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrone View Post
I ordered my EVO(new contract) from Wirefly Thursday afternoon even though they said 2-3 weeks. They shipped it Saturday! Will be here Tuesday or Wednesday! I'll let you know if the update is on it or not. To try to find out about the update, I emailed them and asked if they activated my phone or if I would have to do it when it comes in, and they replied that I would have to call Sprint to activate. The only thing that concerns me is that they have already sent me my new phone number; I called it and it went to voicemail. I hope that update isn't on there.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

puttputt is a n00b

a buddy of mine who is pretty fluent with rooting is concerned about the new update. someone will eventually succeed, but he believes this one could take a while. i've checked out some of the threads on xda as well. as for the sprint store, i'd just nicely tell them to take their hands off the phone i'm purchasing. problem is, none in my area have any stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidfats View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the phone, someone will eventually crack it again, they always do.

if you go to a sprint store, just hold onto the device when they ask you to enter your gmail info. tell them you're in a hurry or something.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

stparker38 is a n00b

Wirefly is good... they ship to you and you call Sprint to finish activation. The process starts with your approval via Wirefly w/Sprint or provider you choose, that's how you get the number...but you have to finish by entering that info in the phone with the rep. Question: OMJ's latest rom stated it has the latest OTA... but I guess you would've had to have rooted phone under previous before OTA update?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

puttputt is a n00b

are you sure about this? how long ago did you receive your evo? i found this on wirefly's site this morning:

http://www.wirefly.com/learn/resourc...rocess/video5/
highlight:
  • Order Assembly and Testing
    Our distribution center staff selects the items you have ordered from inventory. For all cell phone activations, we physically open the box, and we use test batteries to power up the cell phone and ensure that everything is functioning as it should.
  • Cell Phone Activation
    If you have ordered a new service plan or contract extension, Wirefly then programs and schedules the activation of your new cell phone from our production line. Step-by-step instructions for completing the activation are inserted into the shipping box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stparker38 View Post
Wirefly is good... they ship to you and you call Sprint to finish activation. The process starts with your approval via Wirefly w/Sprint or provider you choose, that's how you get the number...but you have to finish by entering that info in the phone with the rep. Question: OMJ's latest rom stated it has the latest OTA... but I guess you would've had to have rooted phone under previous before OTA update?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo 4g/bb 8310
Carrier: sprint/att

skoobz is becoming a great contributor

well, my phone came in at the store. picked it up, it was a new phone, but in a black box with just the phone itself. so i had to bring my own card and battery. damn. oh well. ver 003, which my return was a 002.

they sent my wife a new pre and the instruction said to take out the battery and send only the phone and battery cover back. so my wife had 2 sets of everything, except the phone itself. i guess sprint is getting smarter.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc evo

rocknrone is a n00b

I can confirm that the phones from wirefly are not activated and unopened. I got mine today. Opened her up, called Sprint, activated and denied update in about 2 minutes. Now, time to root!!!!!!!!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note-2

ycats is becoming a PPCGeeks regularycats is becoming a PPCGeeks regularycats is becoming a PPCGeeks regularycats is becoming a PPCGeeks regularycats is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

the OTA from Sprint, does it remove 3rd party apps that have been installed?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G