PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: HTC EVO 4G /Supersonic HANDS ON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc View Post
... It is certainly not unprecedented to have a screen type change after a demo and before production (see here).
this is definitely the only hope you have, because all of the evo's that are out there are tft screens, so unless there is some last minute changes it will not be amoled.
Google is the next skynet
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
I just found this thread, proving what. The evo is not amoled display and that is confirmed. it is the exact same display as the hd2. this is coming from sites like pocketnow.com plus so many more that have actually played with the device and tested its speeds at the las vegas show.
How is that confirmed...lol did Sprint release something conferming this??haha

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
How is that confirmed...lol did Sprint release something conferming this??haha

CW
I don't know What you mean, sprint had the phone on display for people to see and touch in Las Vegas, so many people have seen it and they all say its tft, like someone mentioned earlier the only way is if there are last minute changes to the phones that are already out. Every ctia blogger states tft screen
Old 05-11-2010, 10:52 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
I don't know What you mean, sprint had the phone on display for people to see and touch in Las Vegas, so many people have seen it and they all say its tft, like someone mentioned earlier the only way is if there are last minute changes to the phones that are already out. Every ctia blogger states tft screen
Im just messin with ya bro....I know its gonna be TFT

CW
Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

madoc is keeping up the good workmadoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
this is definitely the only hope you have, because all of the evo's that are out there are tft screens, so unless there is some last minute changes it will not be amoled.
Awesome, now you are letting the doubt creep in!

Seriously though, I worry that the EVO is only going to get 5 hours of battery life. The HD2 doesn't have 4G and is not quite making it through the day.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Awesome, now you are letting the doubt creep in!

Seriously though, I worry that the EVO is only going to get 5 hours of battery life. The HD2 doesn't have 4G and is not quite making it through the day.
From what I've seen, AMOLED doesn't really make a difference in battery life in real world usage. It's more power hungry than LCD TFTs when displaying light colors (think of what that means for web browsing), and has to crank to max brightness for any visibility when ambient light is high. Any power savings from dark colors and low-light scenarios are basically a wash.

And although CDMA is supposedly a little more power hungry than GSM (and who knows about WIMAX), the battery will be 1500 mAh vs 1230 in the HD2. I think most people will make it through a day OK. Not really an issue for me anyway though since I work in an office and I can top off the battery any time I need to.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

madoc is keeping up the good workmadoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedoig View Post
From what I've seen, AMOLED doesn't really make a difference in battery life in real world usage. It's more power hungry than LCD TFTs when displaying light colors (think of what that means for web browsing), and has to crank to max brightness for any visibility when ambient light is high. Any power savings from dark colors and low-light scenarios are basically a wash.

And although CDMA is supposedly a little more power hungry than GSM (and who knows about WIMAX), the battery will be 1500 mAh vs 1230 in the HD2. I think most people will make it through a day OK. Not really an issue for me anyway though since I work in an office and I can top off the battery any time I need to.
Good stuff, thanks. I thought the HD2 also came with a stock 1500. That does make me feel a little better. I could also go for an extended battery. I really hate being a slave to the charger, but I'll deal with it if I have to.

The sprint overdrive 4G portable router has an 1830 battery and get's about 3 hours of usage. Not exactly a fair comparison, but I have a feeling that we may be turning 4G on and off judiciously.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO

ace741 is keeping up the good workace741 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Good stuff, thanks. I thought the HD2 also came with a stock 1500. That does make me feel a little better. I could also go for an extended battery. I really hate being a slave to the charger, but I'll deal with it if I have to.

The sprint overdrive 4G portable router has an 1830 battery and get's about 3 hours of usage. Not exactly a fair comparison, but I have a feeling that we may be turning 4G on and off judiciously.
I am hoping like your data EVDO connection, its only connected when you're using it. And breaks when you're not. I hope 4G is the same and we don't have to turn on and off 4G
Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
...but I have a feeling that we may be turning 4G on and off judiciously.
Ya. Luckily they included that nice little home screen widget to toggle it on/off

And to be fair, GSM (well, more accurately, HSPA) users have been dealing with the 3G toggle for a long time now in order to save battery.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

JeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Battery life concerns me too. I have owned 4 PDA phones. I have realistic expectations for battery life. On my Touch Pro, I had two external wall battery chargers with extra batteries. I used 2-3 per day.

I had a Samsung Moment (which I liked) BUT .. the battery life was beyond dreadful. I have Micro USB in my car and desk at work to charge with. Still the phone ran out of juice when I was out and about. I don't stream video or music either. I disabled pushing of emails to it. Just awful.

I am waiting to get one of these. I hope it at least makes it though 2/3 of the day. I will get a spare external charger and battery to augment it.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
evo 4g, lemon, mic