PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 05:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

adenicol is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Upgrade Question with 8 months still left on my Sprint account

I have my phone pre-ordered with Best Buy, I went into the store to see the demo phone today and how big it was and had started talking to the sales person.

I still have about 8 months on my contract with Sprint so I am only eligible for the $75 off a new phone. When I was talking to the BB rep he told me that if I get the phone I will still have to pay almost $400 because I will get the $75 off but none of the other discounts even if I up for a 2 year renewal on my contract.

I told him I wouldn't have a problem adding it as a new line then having Sprint swap the phone number with that on my other phone and then cancelling that old line and only having to pay the other $80 for early termination.

He told me that if I wanted to do that then I needed to wait 30 days after I got the new phone because the phone number would then not be the same as the number on the EVO contract paperwork (as it would be the old number and the new number would be on my HTC Touch) and Sprint would charge me a boatload more for the phone.

Is this true that I will have to wait to switch the phone numbers or is there a way around it?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 & HTC Hero

sikclown is keeping up the good worksikclown is keeping up the good work
Re: Upgrade Question with 8 months still left on my Sprint account

Sounds like a whole lot of trouble to get phone. I am just buying it from Sprint for full price and selling my Touch Pro 2 and Hero. I am due for a 75$ upgrade too but I will save it for next years latest and greatest. Good luck with what you are trying to do but it sounds like a nightmare in the making.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:20 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

They should be able to port the number and get that current line off your plan immediately. I'm looking at possibly doing the same thing (my SERO isn't eligible for 22mo upgrade until 8/1) and just paying $30/mo extra for two months if they don't let me upgrade early. I don't see how this would be much of an issue.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

jah2006 is a n00b

Sprint wont port numbers within their own company, with an exception of sprint to nextel and vice versa. So if you cancel a line that number will be lost. But what you can do is port it out to a cheap prepaid phone, then cancel your line and get a new one, and finally have sprint port that number back to your new line.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:12 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Well if they won't let me upgrade early and change my plan, looks like I'm losing my number.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO

ace741 is keeping up the good workace741 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah2006 View Post
Sprint wont port numbers within their own company, with an exception of sprint to nextel and vice versa. So if you cancel a line that number will be lost. But what you can do is port it out to a cheap prepaid phone, then cancel your line and get a new one, and finally have sprint port that number back to your new line.
I've been told by a couple of people at Sprint that you can do number swaps, as long as the numbers are on the same account. Can't do it between different Sprint accounts.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker

ace741 is keeping up the good workace741 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by adenicol View Post
I have my phone pre-ordered with Best Buy, I went into the store to see the demo phone today and how big it was and had started talking to the sales person.

I still have about 8 months on my contract with Sprint so I am only eligible for the $75 off a new phone. When I was talking to the BB rep he told me that if I get the phone I will still have to pay almost $400 because I will get the $75 off but none of the other discounts even if I up for a 2 year renewal on my contract.

I told him I wouldn't have a problem adding it as a new line then having Sprint swap the phone number with that on my other phone and then cancelling that old line and only having to pay the other $80 for early termination.

He told me that if I wanted to do that then I needed to wait 30 days after I got the new phone because the phone number would then not be the same as the number on the EVO contract paperwork (as it would be the old number and the new number would be on my HTC Touch) and Sprint would charge me a boatload more for the phone.

Is this true that I will have to wait to switch the phone numbers or is there a way around it?
I'm planning on doing the same as you. Best buy told me I should be fine. As long as the EVO stays on the plan you signed up on you should be ok. I hope it turns out that way.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

MidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to MidwestDrummer Send a message via MSN to MidwestDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to MidwestDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
Well if they won't let me upgrade early and change my plan, looks like I'm losing my number.
Is having the phone more important to you, than having your number? I just can't see that. Then again, I have the same number that I've had since I first had wireless service (only had Sprint), so I can't feasibly give up my number at the drop of a hat.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer View Post
Is having the phone more important to you, than having your number? I just can't see that. Then again, I have the same number that I've had since I first had wireless service (only had Sprint), so I can't feasibly give up my number at the drop of a hat.
Yeah, I don't care about my number. I haven't even had it a year yet anyway since I had to change it from my FL number. I can't imagine Sprint will give me too much hassle letting me upgrade 2 months early though since I'll be paying them $50 more a month than I am now.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 PM
JZ*
Halfway to VIP Status
Carrier: SPRINT

JZ* is keeping up the good workJZ* is keeping up the good workJZ* is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Sounds like a whole lot of trouble to get phone. I am just buying it from Sprint for full price and selling my Touch Pro 2 and Hero. I am due for a 75$ upgrade too but I will save it for next years latest and greatest. Good luck with what you are trying to do but it sounds like a nightmare in the making.
This is what I'm doing too...I have been able to sell all my "1 year old phones" for a pretty good price anyway...I guess that is the one (although small) advantage to changing them out yearly!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G