PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo No 4g
Carrier: Sprint

akayareal is keeping up the good workakayareal is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Who here is waiting on the EVO v2 with a keyboard and better specs?

If your the same SaltyDawg from howardforums, it seems as if your points are also being challenged over there in the Evo thread but not as bad as over here lol.

I would love for this thing to sport a keyboard if they were some how able to fit it in shell that is almost identical to the one they have now with the thickness barely compromised.

As much as i love the TP2 keyboard, I would give it up to make the phone lighter and thinner. Some may say its only a few mm but when your dealing with devices this small, it makes a difference.

I havent held a HD2 in my hands so i dont have an idea how it compares to my TP2 yet.

Evo on 3g

Old 04-12-2010, 01:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayareal View Post
If your the same SaltyDawg from howardforums, it seems as if your points are also being challenged over there in the Evo thread but not as bad as over here lol.

I would love for this thing to sport a keyboard if they were some how able to fit it in shell that is almost identical to the one they have now with the thickness barely compromised.

As much as i love the TP2 keyboard, I would give it up to make the phone lighter and thinner. Some may say its only a few mm but when your dealing with devices this small, it makes a difference.

I havent held a HD2 in my hands so i dont have an idea how it compares to my TP2 yet.
No, it's a different debate on HoFo. We're talking about the potential cost of the device. I am saying it should/will be around the same price as the HD2, and someone else thinks it will cost considerably more.

On the size- as long as it's small enough to fit in my pocket I don't care if it's a few mm bigger than it would have been. For me it's not a contest to have the smallest device- I'm trying to have the most features in a device that is still small enough for me to pocket.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:

i've held the hd2 and to me its already too big but i understand how some will like it. That thing with a keyboard would not be the business.
Google is the next skynet
Old 04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
i've held the hd2 and to me its already too big but i understand how some will like it. That thing with a keyboard would not be the business.
So are you going to get the Evo then? It's the same size as the HD2, so if the HD2 is too big...

All BS aside, I'm getting the Evo the second Sprint will sell it to me. I'll just drop it and get the first keyboard device with similar specs when it's available.

Well, unless there is another device announced before the Evo gets released and it has a keyboard with similar specs. Then I'll probably just wait for that device.

But if there is no other device announced by the time the Evo gets released, I'll be getting it on day 1 for sure.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
No, it's a different debate on HoFo. We're talking about the potential cost of the device. I am saying it should/will be around the same price as the HD2, and someone else thinks it will cost considerably more.

On the size- as long as it's small enough to fit in my pocket I don't care if it's a few mm bigger than it would have been. For me it's not a contest to have the smallest device- I'm trying to have the most features in a device that is still small enough for me to pocket.
Its also not a contest for the smallest device for me, if that was the case i would still be using my Palm Centro and never would have got a TP, TP2 or a Nextel Blackberry. For me its for my own personal comfort and the TP2 can get uncomfortable when im on the phone and not using my bt. I love the screen size and will love the screen size even more on the Evo.

I can completely understand why some would want and only get the phone if it had a keyboard and thats why i say to those, you should hold off and wait for one with a keyboard to be announced. It may not have some of the same specs or even be a HTC device but should fit the needs of those needing a keyboard.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
So are you going to get the Evo then? It's the same size as the HD2, so if the HD2 is too big...

All BS aside, I'm getting the Evo the second Sprint will sell it to me. I'll just drop it and get the first keyboard device with similar specs when it's available.

Well, unless there is another device announced before the Evo gets released and it has a keyboard with similar specs. Then I'll probably just wait for that device.

But if there is no other device announced by the time the Evo gets released, I'll be getting it on day 1 for sure.
I'm a super Android fan now so i want everyone to have androids so developers will create more apps, I don't actually care what android people have. I'm going to keep my nexus one and not get an evo, i like the size and the amoled display better, but if i was stuck on sprint then i would get it day 1 no hesitation.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Its also not a contest for the smallest device for me, if that was the case i would still be using my Palm Centro and never would have got a TP, TP2 or a Nextel Blackberry. For me its for my own personal comfort and the TP2 can get uncomfortable when im on the phone and not using my bt. I love the screen size and will love the screen size even more on the Evo.

I can completely understand why some would want and only get the phone if it had a keyboard and thats why i say to those, you should hold off and wait for one with a keyboard to be announced. It may not have some of the same specs or even be a HTC device but should fit the needs of those needing a keyboard.
Well I can certainly see your point. No argument from me there. My disagreement is when someone comes in and says something ridiculous like "keyboards are dead. You won't have a keyboard option. You might as well get this phone because nobody makes keyboard phones anymore..."

But you and me are on the same page for the most part. There will be other options for people who like keyboards. The size of my Touch Pro 2 doesn't bother me at all- and it's nowhere near as big Hitachi G1000 I used back in the day, so I would be more than happy with an Evo that has a keyboard (assuming it's about the same size as the TP2- give or take a few mm).

In all honesty, I'm positive an Evo with a keyboard would be thinner than a TP2, and maybe a couple mm wider and/or longer. The Evo is already a few mm wider and longer than a TP2, and I don't think a keyboard would add to that. The keyboard would add thickness, obviously, but advances in technology and careful planning with a focus on making it thin could make the device considerably thinner than a Touch Pro 2.

Why does a keyboard add so much thickness anyway? All it is basically is a circuit board under the keys. So the thickness of the keys + the thickness of the circuit board should be no more than 4 or 5 mm tops. And I could certainly take an Evo that was 4-5mm thicker but had a keyboard.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Im sure it is no wider than a blackberry bold or probably even my blackberry 8330 so im sure it wont be a hand cramper. For me the when its that big, i dont like the phone to feel like a brick in my hand as a result of the keyboard.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Im sure it is no wider than a blackberry bold or probably even my blackberry 8330 so im sure it wont be a hand cramper. For me the when its that big, i dont like the phone to feel like a brick in my hand as a result of the keyboard.
much wider, thinner but much longer and wider.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

This thread has been going slowly south for a couple of days now. Please check your attitudes and pride at the PPCG login screen, there is no reason to get all bent out of shape over such trivial stuff. Up to this point you have both been fairly civil so let's see if we can keep it at least like that, if not moreso. More importantly, let's get this thread back on topic.

I can tell you that if it doesn't get back on track, this thread is either going to get "cleaned up" of a lot of posts or simply closed. Thank you in advance!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G